V.A.L.U.E. the AGE OF WORMS

Passages in the ancient Draconic Prophecy, dreaded by the seers of Argonessen, hint,
… that there will be an age of darkness and despair,
… that this will be a time of terror, a reign of death,
… that dragon and human alike will be corrupted and enslaved by the ancient evils,
… that this darkness, that one day will overtake Eberron, is inevitable,
… that this final age will be known as the AGE OF WORMS

AGE OF WORMS

:bug: Styles:

• dungeon delving / exploration
  • intrigue
  • apocalypse prevention
  • (mild) body horror … see below

:bug: Horror:

• there will be some body horror, but it is not a horror campaign per se (unless you fail^^)
  • there will be NO violence against children nor any sexual violence under any circumstances
  • if you are suffering from scoleciphobia … I would advice to join another table

:bug: Length:

• these are 12 adventures in total, but so far I am not sure if I would run them all
  • aside from that, I will def. not run them in one go (read as: there will be breaks)

:bug: Setting:

• I will run these adventures in the Eberron setting
  • you can find an excelent informaton post about Eberron :point_right: here
  • the 1st adventure starts in a small mining town, called Diamond Lake in Breland - on a clear day you can see the outline of the towers of the big city of Sharn in the south
3 Likes

:bug: DISCLAIMER:

• these are D&D5E adventures for a couple of open V.A.L.U.E. games I will dm in the coming months … it is not an invitation to a new campaign … sorry :bug:

• it won’t start before the upcoming character reset

:bug: Unlocked Story Awards

here I will post all STORY AWARDS that have been unlocked for the AGE OF WORMS

• Filge is dead
    Your group has killed Filge the necromancer in the observatory.

• Talisman of the Whispering Cairn

Sheshka (played by @BufoBufo) has the item right now. So far it works like a Dark Shard Amulet.

• Strange metallic piece from Whispering Cairn
    Your group has found a strange metallic piece in the grave of the final room. Detect magic only revealed that It radiates a strong aura of Law.

• Allustan has the Green Worm
    Your group has given the preserved Green Worm to Allustan for research.

:bug: Hidden Notes & Clues

• letter found at the old observatory
    Filgeletter

• from Filge when he was still alive

Why Are You Here?
“Me mate Balabar called me up from Sharn for a bit of study about some weirdness in town. He got himself brought down to a hidden part of the Dourstone Mines a month ago, to set up some provisioning deal with the dwarf what runs the place. But the mine was crawling with awful beasts in hooded robes. He said their wild cries made his stomach heave. The cultists — they called themselves the Ebon Triad — said something about the Age of Worms, about strange undead in the southern hills and the swamp. Smenk knew he had to prepare a defense, so he called in his undead expert. Me.”

The Ebon Triad?
“Smenk says the cult follows the Mockery, the Keeper, and the Shadow. If true, the place must be crawling with delicious secrets."

The Green Worm?
“Balabar nicked that jar from a laboratory in the Dourstone Mine. It’s very rare. The cultists mentioned those were involved in the creation of ‘unkillable’ zombies."

• from Allustan

The Green Worm?
“It’s indeed very rare. Dead now, of course, but once it and hundreds of worms like it must have wriggled within the abscesses and orifices of a powerful undead creature called a spawn of Kyuss. These are probably the ‘unkillable’ zombies the cultists mentioned to Filge. If true, it could be a real problem. Those worms can get inside you and turn you undead in about a day.

• from Allustan

The Murals in the Wispering Cairn?
Hezcalipa was a couatl (winged serpent) sage from the Age of Demons, who along with the blue dragon Ourelonastrix helped discover the Draconic Prophecy. The vultures represent the Wind Dukes of Aaqa, powerful noble air elemental myrmidons from Syrania the Azure Sky, who were pledged to the couatls and aided them (as well as the dragons) in their battle against the Demon Overlords. The black eyes represent a Sphere of Annihilation, a powerful but also dangerous artefact, those Wind Dukes of Aaqa seemed to have wielded as a weapon.
My conclusions suggest, that these Cairns were dedicated to their sacrifice.

• from Allustan

The Draconic Prophecy?
The Draconic Prophecy is a record of things to come that has been playing out since creation. The prophecy encompasses many many volumes and is said to be as complex and unfathomable as the dragons themselves. A few among the scholarly study snippets of the massive work, but only creatures with incredibly long lifespan or immortals have the ability and patience to see the prophecy for what it truly is.

• from the book Cults: Within and Without, Garken Loeb. Provost of the University of Wynarn 789 YK.

Known alternatively as the Three Faces of Darkness, the Three Faces of Evil, or the Ebon Triad depending on region. This mystery cult believes in the union of the Shadow, the Keeper, and the Mockery. Lacking any of the altruism found in typical Three Faces cults that try to reclaim and recontextualize a single member of the Dark Six by placing them alongside a pair of Sovereigns, this cult revels in its evil nature. Practicing humanoid sacrifice, and general mayhem.

The core tenant of this cult is the belief that the Ebon Triad is destined to unite into one entity, an Overgod. United into one entity the Overgod’s power will be an order of magnitude greater than the sum of its parts. With this power the Overgod will cast down the Sovereigns, bring forth an age of darkness, reward its followers, punish its followers’ enemies. The typical promises found in most cults who entirely embrace evil unironically.

The exact nature of this unification varies, but the most popular interpretation is that the bones of the Keeper will be overlaid with the flayed skin of Mockery, and once infused with the very essence of the Shadow will become a new all powerful being.

Fortunately these cults, by the nature of the personalities involved, tend to be incredibly unstable. Forming often as alliances of convenience between followers of the three separate dark gods looking for some common ground. Once they have no more use for each other the pretense is dropped and they turn on one another. However the damage they can cause in the meantime is too much to let such a cult fester. Once involved in the cult, followers tend to be driven to further and further extremes to one up each other to prove they are the most evil.

The exact origins of this cult are not known. The earliest references to the Ebon Triad can be found in reports of isolated island communities in the Lhazaar Principalities that had turned to cannibalism and debauchery.

:bug: Mini-Gazetter

• Eberron = the world
  • Khorvaire = the continent, recovering from the Last War, that has ended a few years ago
  • Breland = one of the 5 central nations, focusing on heavy industry & manufacturing
  • Lhazaar Principalities = loose confederation of pirate lords in the far east
  • Diamond Lake = a small mining town in Breland, north of Sharn, west of Wroat
  • Wroat = capital of Breland, housing the royal family
  • Sharn = a metropolis in south Breland, famous for its towers and spires
  • the Sovereign Host = is a pantheon of 9 good gods and is the dominant religion of Khorvaire
  • the Dark Six = is a pantheon of six gods cast out of the Sovereign Host
  • the Keeper = Sovereign of Death and Decay; also greed & gluttony; one of the Dark Six
  • the Mockery = Sovereign of Betrayal and Bloodshed; also dishonorable combat & unjust war; one of the Dark Six
  • the Shadow = Sovereign of Magic and Mayhem; also corruption, ambition, & dark magic; one of the Dark Six
  • the Ebon Triad = cult trying to fuse the Keeper, the Mockery, and the Shadow into an Overgod
  • the Draconic Prophecy = is a record of things to come that has been playing out since creation
  • Age of Demons = is a period of history that ended 1.5 million years ago, that is mostly known of through myths in the modern era
  • Allustan Neff = a mage; failed to become the dean of Morgrave University in Sharn; known as "the smartest person in town"; brother of the governor-mayor of Diamond Lake;

“The joys of the rich man are nothing, as they who hang around with sinners, scoffing at the simple paths of righteousness. Their delights are a pittance compared to eternity, and their rewards shall be devoured by the wriggling powers of darkness. They seem as trees along a riverbank bearing luscious fruits, but I tell you: they are plagued from within by blind, consuming things that eat without mercy and leave nothing behind. Not a one of them will be safe on the day of final judgment, when the slithering darkness feasts upon them. We tread toward a red day, full of writing doom and a dread feast of bloated, ravenous hunger. Dark times is coming. Slithering times, when the clouds snuff the sky and the austerity of flesh is the path of salvation. Be ready, and prepare your body for the coming Age … an Age of Worms …”

• Jierian Weirus, Priest of the Silver Flame

Diamond Lake

:bug: small town (population 1200-1300)

The ramblings of Knuckston Grizzlebeard, common miner and regular patron of the Feral Dog Tavern, a week before his death by a falling girder in the Tilgast Mines:

So, you wanna know what life is like in Diamond Lake? Dark Six man, why would you want ta give a shit about this place? It’s a piss hole. My old bones sweat their last in those mines, and I’ve got nothing to show for it except a case of gout and the hacking lungrot.

You ain’t going away are, ya?

Well then, sit down. . . I’ll talk to ye about the sights around here, but it’ll cost ya a few rounds . . . the Good Dwarven stuff too, you cheapskate.

Okay, where was I? Diamond Lake, a shithole like no other …

:bug: Politics

Governor-mayor Lanod Neff is the head cheese around here. He’s been appointed by Wroat itself because his father was a head cheese and got him started with a position at the Garrison that he didn’t deserve. Now, he sits in his massive manor house on the hill overlooking the town. It’s constantly under construction, mostly so Neff can try to outclass the other bigwigs in this berg.

The man himself? Dark Six! He’s a lying, cheating philanderer who spends more time chasing tail than doing any real work. He lines the pockets of his cronies to stay in power, and pays off that sheriff to keep him and his boys in line.

If it weren’t for his brother, Allustan Neff, Lanod’s body would have been dumped into a dry mine years ago by the other power brokers in town. Allustan’s a pretty powerful Wizard, probably the smartest man in town. I heard that back in Sharn, he had designs on being the head of Morgrave University, but fell out of favor and was forced into retirement. Since he was born and raised here, he ended up back where he started. I like to think he may have ran away from the big city with his tail between his legs, but, um . . . don’t tell anyone I told you that.

Anyway, the law around here, if you wanna call it that, is a big old bastard named Sheriff Cubbin. It’s no secret he’s in the pocket of the Mayor, and spends his time drinking and carousing in the various cathouses. When he got elected Sheriff, we laughed in our cups and threw darts at his head, until he arrested us all with his private battalion of cronies. Son of a b##ch. . .

The only other law in town is the Garrison, ran by Captain Tolliver Trask. He runs about 60 men in the old keep, but the snots never bother to step foot inside the town proper. Mostly, they patrol the miles of wilderness outside of town, and pray to their self-righteous god of honor. Truth is, Trask doesn’t care a lick for Diamond Lake, and he keeps his men out of our affairs. He’s just here to make sure his precious metropolis Sharn don’t get attacked from our direction. If anything really bad happens here, the gates of the keep will shut so fast that any honest wage earner standing in the way’ll get dashed against the walls.

:bug: Business

The mines are everything here, and I’ve been breaking my back inside of ‘em for 30 years. The mine managers come and go, and deeds exchange hands over blackmail, gambling, and even downright murder and theft. At least that’s the rumor. It a tough business and I can say that through it all, I’m still here, digging away to line the pockets for every backstabbing son-of-a-bich & that ever owned a mine.

Right now, there are six mine managers, who are considered to be the ones that matter in town. They have the chink to ignore the law, and hire their own thugs to keep order in their respective areas of business. They fight with the mayor sometimes, but for the most part they don’t do much but bicker amongst themselves for every scrap of ore they can squeeze out of the hills.

You want a rundown of who they are? What’s the point of that? It won’t last. . .

Ah . . . the Dark Six with it . . . keep the ale coming. . .

Right now, the comer is Balabar Smenk. He is a fat, lecherous bastard who got his start from his old contacts in Sharn. He spends his time gambling, drinking, and scheming up new ways to take over this entire town. The mayor hates him, mostly because he’s scared. Smenk owns 4 mines right now, and is poised to get more. Balabar may have just enough of the town in his pocket to stage a coup of his own, but he’s usually too powdered up with perfume and sweaty finery to think about lifting a sword.

Of course, this has really pissed off Gelch Tilgast. Right now I work for the old fart, but it may not last. Before Smenk come into the picture, Gelch reigned over this berg for years like a petty lord, and now he’s getting a taste of what it’s like to be on the outs. I’ve even heard rumors that he’s trying to get support from other mine managers to fight off Balabar Smenk, but that’s probably hogwash. Tilgast doesn’t know which way is up these days, and they sure as hell wouldn’t deal with him after the way he’s backhanded them over the years.

He’s still better off that Luzanne Parrin. She inherited her mines from her mother, who died in the Last War when she was still a pup. Now, twenty years later, she’s almost bankrupt, and it’s no secret that she’s sleeping with Chaum Gansworth to try and protect her own skin. She’ll be broke soon.

Chaum Gansworth has been in town for a while, and keeps a pretty low profile. Other than the fact that he’s sleeping with Luzanne, there ain’t much to tell. He does own the Rusty Bucket, and has dinner there quite often. I guess his mines are doing okay, but then again . . . how the hell am I supposed to know?

The same can be said for the other two mine managers. One’s an elf, some prancing panty waste named Ellival Moonmeadow. He only owns one silver mine, and doesn’t have anything to do with regular townsfolk like us. He just hangs out with his fellow elves, doing . . . well, whatever it is elves do when they’re together. Haw ha!

The other one is a dwarf, named Ragnolin Dourstone, who’s been here ever since I can remember. Like most Dwarves, he does well for himself in the mining profession, and has handpicked a number of spots to start new mines, all of them pretty damn successful. So far, neither Tilgast nor Smenk has managed to dent his business one bit . . . though they’ve both tried their best over the years.

In addition to the mines, all six mine managers share a single smelting house, located near the old piers. It’s pretty much monopolized by the city council in Sharn, and run like a tight ship. The chief smelter, Vulgan Durtch, is a recluse, and the entire operation resembles a fortress with no windows, and no unguarded entrances. They had to step things up a bit security wise, after one of the mine managers sabotaged a rival’s shipment.

:bug: History

Well, I can’t really go back all that far. My memory gets a little fuzzy when I think back to the old days … I do know that the area near the lake was run by some uppity feudal lord a long time ago. He built a keep, which currently houses the Garrison’s men. There are also a couple of old fences in the cairn hills where he tried to get his farming subjects to grow carrots and potatoes. I wonder how many of the idiot’s subjects starved to death!

Well, his sons started exploring the cairns and old gravesites that litter this whole area. I guess they found quite a bit of loot from the olden days . . . and I don’t mean 50 years ago. I mean really old days. Hundreds of years ago.

Anyway, all this loot attracted the attention of Sharn and Wroat, and pretty soon they bought off the noble kids and annexed this whole area for themselves. They hired a group of adventurers to explore it all, and sucked every last treasure dry from those old tombs.

That would have been the end of Diamond Lake, except prospectors and surveyors came in and took measure of the land. It’s still shit for growing anything but weeds, but wouldn’t you know they discovered a massive cache of silver lodes and massive veins of iron under the hills, including the one we’re sitting on right now?

Now, years and years later, it’s said that that we’re the cornerstone of Sharn’s ore supply. Not like they’d pass any of that wealth onto common laborers like us, you understand. When I was a kid, getting a meal was as easily as casting a line in the Lake. Now, the smelting house and associated runoff has polluted the water so much, the merchants have to send off to Sharn just to get a week-old, salted flounder.

As far as recent history goes, there ain’t much to tell . . . honest folk are still getting screwed and the wealthy are still getting richer off of our sweat. Let’s see. . .

There’s an old ring of stones out in the boonies, called the Menhirs. It’s visited by Rangers, Druids, and other freeloaders. No one knows who built it, but they say the worn stone have been there for centuries.

The Old Observatory used to be a haven to some scholarly Monks, who used to prance about and read off astrology. They packed up shop when I was just a kid, and since then it’s pretty much sat abandoned.

Then, of course, the Last War killed a good many of us. I lost my sister to the Boneyard, and me son’s still got vapors from some weird spell close to the Cyre frontier and can’t make a living. I even was hit by it myself, but it’s weren’t too bad on me. I did get a pretty lumpy scar from it on the back o’ my head though. You wanna see it?

No?

Ah well …

:bug: Entertainment

There’s nothing like spending a day’s wage in Diamond Lake. We may not get much in the way o’ housing, sanitation, or any of that frilly city crap that doesn’t do any good anyway . . . but we do have entertainment in spades.

If you have the money, the Emporium is the place to be. It’s run by a lady of the night, Zalamadra, and she’s got a whole cadre of the sweetest ladies you ever saw at her disposal. They sit in perfumed glory in the upstairs area she calls the Veiled Corridor. There aren’t any veils there that I’ve seen, but then again, I’ve never asked for one. There’s also a Den on the top floor where you can obtain the use of other substances that twist your mind around and make you talk funny, if you’re into that. There are plenty of games of chance, and a very interesting freak show downstairs full of dangerous and exotic creatures. Just last week, I heard a rumor that a crazed demon child escaped it cage and went on a fiery rampage. They haven’t caught it yet, and I’m keeping a sharp lookout. They say its hide has magic designs on it, and I’ll bet its worth a few pennies to its owners. I have a boot dagger handy in case I run into the thing.

If you like boredom, you can always visit Lazare’s House. It’s a fancy, high class place with a steep price I remember when Lazare managed a mine in town, until his wife got sick and he was bankrupted, selling everything to that bastard Smenk. Inside his place, there’s no music, no dancing girls, and no fun. I heard everyone sits at tables and plays Dragonchess, a game with over 40 pieces and a multilevel board. Lazare used to be a champion, and has somehow pushed his habit on some of the upper crust. It’s a snore, but at least you can gamble on it.

If you find yourself a little light of chink, there are a few other places you can visit for fun. The Midnight Salute is a pretty cheap place to get some female action, but they cater heavily to the Garrison’s crowd. If you’re looking to get drunk or do some low-end betting, there’s the Feral Dog, where you can see some pit dogs tear each other to pieces, and get into a bar brawl or two. It can get rough, even for a guy like me, but it’s worth it because they don’t charge you to get in. Your other choice among the chaff is the Spinning Giant, but the other patrons are usually garrison soldiers, so you have to be tolerant of drunken chants and men who like to slap each other on the butt. They don’t tolerate stealing or bad manners, and there isn’t a card game to be found anywhere in the vicinity.

If you’re just hungry for some food, you can go to the Hungry Gar. The chef there is a pretty decent cook, but there’s only so much you can do with snared rabbits and deer meat. One alternative is the Rusty Bucket, which has a pretty decent common room as well.

Finally, if information of the outside world is your cup of tea, many out-of-towners stay at the Able Carter Coaching Inn. The main thrust of the business is running coaches and supplies back and forth to Sharn, Shadowlock Keep, Wroat, and other parts west. Boarders from all over stay there, mostly for short term business, so a good conversation about Sharn and other part o’ the world are in good order there. Plus, if you’re willing to pay, they’ll take horses too.

The Dark Six be damned, you can always do what I do. You can always spend thirty years of your life slaving away to Gelch Tilgast, only to see your life get poured down the drain when he sells the mine to Balabar Smenk in a few years. Smenk pays two coppers cheaper, and you work a longer shift. Bastards.

:bug: Shops

There are plenty o’ places to get business done in Diamond Lake. You got something to buy or sell, you can most likely procure your needs right here.

Let’s see. . . we got the local Tidwoad’s Bank & Jewelry, run by the uppity dwarf of Tidwoad d’Kundarak. He cheated my mother out of her jewels for half their worth, so I can’t vouch for his honesty, but you should see his collections in the window – whew! . . . He swears that his shop is burglar proof, and so far, no one’s taken him up on the challenge. I’d like a few of those baubles for myself, that’s the honest truth.
He holds a House Sivis speaking stone, allowing residents to send and receive messages for a fee. A number of Sivis gnomes reside in the shop to operate the stone and assist Tidwoad with bookkeeping. The senior Sivis representative is Lylana Lyrriman d’Sivis, a garrulous female gnome woman, who likes small talk a bit to much, that it would be considered healthy.

The General Store is where you can pick up just about any mundane equipment you’d ever need. Taggin runs it pretty reasonable, and has all the supplies you need to travel overland for a month, or survive a mountain climb. He stays outta people’s business, and sticks to his own outfit.

The Lakeside Stables are run by a half-elf named Lanch Faraday. I ain’t ever owned a horse myself, so I don’t know him well. I only met him once, during a card game, but I took my leave when he upset a table and pulled a knife. He’s a mean, sour drunk, but he takes care of most of the community’s horses, so he can’t be all bad.

If you’re looking for weapons, Tyorl Ebberly has a good shop. He claims to be a watch captain in Sharn, but be must’ve done something wrong to end up here. He has a few artifacts from the Cairn hills that he’s found. If your interested his place is called The Captain’s Blade.

Venelle’s contains some of the finest bows in the land. Venelle herself is happy to sell anything she has, if she can locate it through all the clutter o’ her shop. I took up bow hunting myself once, and stood all day in a tree stand, on her advice. The only thing I caught was a damned cold.

Manlin Osgood … now there’s a man I can hang a reputation on. He’s a right fellow and an able drinking companion, if his head’s right. He doesn’t bluff at cards, he’s always ready with a backslap and a handshake, and he makes the finest masterwork armor in the region. A few from Sharn come to Osgood’s Smithy special, just to access his team of apprentice blacksmiths.

That’s about it. There are other places in town to get things, but I wouldn’t recommend it. When your life depends on a wooden girder underground, you better make sure the right hands set it up, if you catch my meaning.

In Diamond Lake, it’s better to be gouged by an honest exploiter than outright cheated by a thief, so stick to those places I mentioned . . . you should be fine.

:bug: Churches

There are a few churches in town that have gained a following, but I wouldn’t recommend any of ‘em. The best church for me is the Veiled Corridor upstairs in the Emporium, where you can tithe your money for a cause that’s worthy of your coin, and get a little bit of sweetness besides.

However, if you insist, you can go to the Church of the Silver Flame, right on the center of town. The sermons there are full of piss and vinegar, led by Jierian Wierus, whose favorite activity is to flog his own backside with a cat-o-nine-tails, and go to the seedy parts of town to covert others to do the same. His following is 150 strong and growing.

If they’d make you feel welcome, you can go to the garrison and sit at the Chapel of Dol Dorn, the Sovereign of Strength and Steel. It’s mostly full of soldiers, who like to puff themselves up with honor before riding around the countryside in their fancy armor. Valkus Dunn is the righteous bastard in charge, preaching about public do-goodery, but doing nothing about it. He opens the service up to the public, but no one goes except men who swing swords for a living.

If you like nature, you can traipse out in to the boonies to visit the Bronzewood Lodge. Its run by Nogweir, a druid from the Eldeen Reaches, who likes to scare people about bogeymen in the hills, but I can’t imagine why they’d sit out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to entertain them. Trying to fill the coffers so he can get back to real civilization is my guess.

There’s also a Temple of the Blood of Vol around here somewhere, called the Cult of the Green Lady, but you won’t see them much unless you go the Boneyard and visit the graves they tend to. When my Suzie died in the Last War, they took her thin, deformed bones from some magic and washed her up real pretty. Then they stood around and gave a little speech about mortality and life, but I didn’t have a penny to give ‘em. They went ahead and did it for free.

:bug:

Anyway, that’s pretty much a good rundown of Diamond Lake for ya. You wasted enough of my time, so get out of my face and stop asking questions. I got a few coppers left in my pocket, and I want to get to the Emporium to see that damned two-headed mule again . . .

:bug: R.I.P.

Knuckston Grizzlebeard was buried in the Bonyard of Diamond Lake. His burial was overseen by the Cult of the Green Lady, and he is survived by his adult son Renald Grizzlebeard, in the direct custody of the mine manager Gelch Tilgast.

1 Like

How to tie your character’s Background to Diamond Lake:

:bug: ERLW

• House Agent
    The dwarvish House Kundarak (manages banking) has a presence in Diamond Lake, who share an office with a few members of the gnomish House Sivis (manages post service). Those two would be the obvious best choices.
    note: take a look at the Dwarf (Mark of Warding) and Gnome (Mark of Scribing) races, if you want to take this backgound

:bug: PHB

• Acolyte
    The priest(s) of one of the faiths in the town would aid you.
    You could be a member of the growing Church of the Silver Flame.
    You could worship the Sovereign Host, especially Dol Dorn the Sovereign of Strength & Steel.
    You could be one of the few faithful of the Temple of the Blood of Vol, who also manage the graveyard.
    Especially if your character is a refugee from Droam or a changeling, you could also make offerings to the Traveler of the Dark Six, but this would be more a faith of warding yourself against evil divine influence.

• Charlatan
    What is your cover identity in Diamond Lake, and why are you hiding in this small town?

• Criminal
    This is especially good for Halflings, “monstrous races”, Changelings, and characters with the Aberrant Dragonmark Feat.
    You did some crime in Diamond Lake, but most miners are poor and the few rich mine owners were far beyond your reach so far.

• Criminal (Spy)
    You can be an informant for the Brelish secret service, or a spy from Aundeir or Karrnath.
    So far you have failed to find anything of significant value in Diamond Lake. That is why you have failed to earn any money yet.

• Entertainer
    You are regularly playing in most of the local establishments, except Lazare’s House, because they like it quiet there.

• Entertainer (Gladiator)
    You regularlywork in the Feral Dog tavern in staged pit fights. You are dreaming that one time you could do a fight in a big arena in Sharn.

• Folk Hero
    You are probably a local miner, who saved fellow miners or children when they were trapped during a cave-in. So you are a local legend among the common people.

• Guild Artisan
    You probably either a member of the metal-forger guild and a pupil of Vulgan Durtch, or apprentice blacksmiths Manlin Osgood from the smith’s guild.
    A bowyer apprentice to Venelle would also work well.

• Guild Artisan (Guild Merchant)
    You are working for Lanch Faraday, who manages the Lakeside Stables.

• Hermit
    You are plagued by nightmares of worms, who will come forth devouring the world. Somehow those visions have drawn you to Diamond Lake.
    note: if you are not into personal horror be advised to take another background.

• Noble
    You still have a title, but your family is actually quite poor. Most of your lands were lost to Droam in the war and the rest was bought of by mine owners.

• Noble (Retainers)
    Your family was so devasted in the Last War, that many nobles don’t even recognize your noble heritage anymore. You have a few retainers left.

• Outlander
    You know the surrounding areas of Diamond Lake very well, especially the locations of the Cairns. Although that does not help you much since they had been looted generations ago.

• Sage
    You are a pupil of the local mage Allustan Neff. You still can ask him for advice.

• Sailor
    You help manage ore shipments from Diamond Lake to Sharn and back. The Dagger river is big and tough and additionally it’s a very monotonous work. Although those ships would take you and your group a free ride.

• Sailor (Pirate)
    You were a member of a fearsome band of privateers, who had letters of marque to plunder enemy ships. After the Last War has ended, those have expired and also everyone kinda knows what you were doing for a living up to 4 years ago.

• Soldier
    You were a member of the Brelish army and stationed at Diamond Lake’s fort. Thanks to austarity and the Last War being over, they didn’t renew your contract. Many of the soldiers at the Keep think that this was a bit unfair, because you have been a good soldier and would be inclinded to help a buddy out.

• Urchin
    You were probably orphaned during the wara dn are trying to get by, dreaming of a better life somewhere else.

:bug: SCAG

• City Watch
    You were a member of Sharn’s City Watch. After loosing your job in a corruption scandal (which might have been not your fault), you are stranded in Diamond Lake and lack the founds to leave. Because of the scandal the Army refused to hire you.

• Cloistered Scholar
    You were working in the library of Sharn’s Morgrave University. You followed the mage Allustan Neff to Diamond Lake, hoping it would work out for you and your career. It didn’t.

• Courtier
    You were working for Lanod Neff the governor-mayor of Diamond Lake. Something you did - or didn’t - annoyed Balabar Smenk and after some lobbying the governor-mayor was forced to let you go.

• Far Traveler
    You are from a foreign land far away somehow stranded in Diamond Lake and laking the funds to leave. Be it a a Drow from Xen’drik or a spooky Elf from Aerenal, or somewhere else. The local mage Allustan Neff is really interested in you, and you could trade stories from your culture for information.

• Inheritor
    Your father/mother gave you a strange magic metal piece on their deathbed, and told you that this is the secret family trinket given to them by their parents and should give you luck & grant protection. With all your family being killed in the Last War, what are you gonna do now?

• Knight of the Order
    You were a member of the knights of Shadowlock Keep, who keep watch at the Droam border. The Keep is located a couple of days to the west. Also hit by austarity and the end of the Last War, you were let go … with distinction but no money … and are now looking to get by in Diamond Lake.

• Mercenary Veteran
    You were a mercenary during the Last War. Your old company suffered so many losses that it disbanded afterwards.

• Urban Bounty Hunter
    You are working for Balabar Smenk, who wants you to spy on miners should they try to form a union of some sorts, so that his goons can take care of the “problem” before it would get too big. Pay is bad and you are still not sure how comfty you feel about this work.

:bug: VRGR

• Haunted One
    You survived the fall of Cyre. Something … maybe a weird spell … hit you there. Since then you are plagued by pains. Drinking a lot of alcohol seems to work. You returned to your hometown Diamond Lake after the Last War.
    note: if you are not into personal horror be advised to take another background.

• Investigator
    You are working for Balabar Smenk, who wants you to find dirt on other mine owners, so he can take over yet another mine. Pay is bad and you are still not sure how comfty you feel about this work.

:bug: AI

• Celebrity Adventurer’s Scion
    Your parents were heroes in the Last War. Sadly they perished in one of the last battles.
    Somehow you look strinking similar to one of your parents when they were young. The few old people of Diamond Lake constantly remind you of this fact.

• Failed Merchant
    You tried to start a business in Diamond Lake and faled to do so. What to do now?

• Gambler
    You are a regular in Lazare’s House, where they play Dragonchess, a game with over 40 pieces and a multilevel board. Where you made your money by beting on the winner. Last week you lost almost all your money. What to do now?

• Plaintiff
    You are working for Balabar Smenk, who wants you to find legal loopholes, so that so he can take over yet another mine. Pay is bad and you are still not sure how comfty you feel about this work.

• Rival Intern
    You are a frustrated intern working as a secretary for Balabar Smenk. Pay is bad, his demeanoor is worse.

:bug: GoS

• Fisher
    You lack the abilities to be good miner, so you try to fish in the Daggerfall river. Good news you are not starving, but the lack of perspective started grinding on your soul recently.

• Marine
    You were a junior member of a Brelish secret elite unit during the Last War. Losses were so great, that after the war had ended your unit was dispanded. Afterwards you returned to your hometown Diamond Lake. What to do now?

• Shipwright
    You are repairing ore ships that sail on the Daggerfall river.

• Smuggler
    You started smuggling for a shady organisation in the past. You don’t know much about them … maybe that’s for the best. Considered the risks the pay is suprisingly bad, because they also charge you for the warehouse.
    note: choose if you want to work for Halflings or “monstrous races”

:bug: ToA

• Archaeologist
    You came to Diamond Lake to study the Cairns, but were brutally disappointed, when you had to found out all have been plundered a long time ago. Now you are stuck in this mining town lacking the funds to leave.

:bug: ALCoS

• Dragon Casualty
    You met a blue dragon once and it scarred you for life. The local mage Allustan Neff is really interested in dragons and thus you, and you could trade dragon stories for information.

:bug: ALEE

• Diamond Lake (Earthspur) Miner
    You are an experienced miner from Diamond Lake and know the mines well. You probably have worked for all six mine owners in the past and know from experience, that working for Balabar Smenk is a bad idea.

• Harborfolk
    You grew up in Sharn’s harbor in the cliffside docks. One day you were taking a ride on an ore ship on its way back to Diamond Lake to find fame and fortune there. This was a bad idea and you are still stranded there, lacking the funds to leave.

• Droam (Phlan) Refugee
    When Droam was conquered by monsters 10 years ago you had to flee to Breland. You had hoped to make it to Sharn but are stuck in Diamond Lake.

1 Like

What Happened So Far

:bug: AoW 01 - The Whispering Cairn

The adventures explored secret tunnels beneath a cairn, that hasn’t been explored yet and discovered a gravesite complex devoted to couatl and some sort of (armoured) air elementals from Syrania the Azure Sky. There were also murals dedicated to the blue dragon prophet Ourelonastrix from the Age of Demons and a Sphere of Annihilation.

To get into the final room they helped a ghost of a teenager getting his bones reunited with his family in his family grave. To do so they had to fight a necromancer though, since the family grave had been recently robbed. This necromancer, Filge who really loved syringes, had been tasked by the mighty mine owner Balabar Smenk to investigate a strange cult, calling themselves the Ebon Triad, and even stranger worms in the mines owned by another mine owner, the dwarf Ragnolin Dourstone.

After putting all the family bones to rest, they entered the final chamber where they found the grave of the couatl prophet, Hezcalipa, guarded by armoured air elementals, who all perished in the Age of Demons.

Wow, blast from the past!

Did you convert this yourself, or is there an official 5th ed version?

:bug: TL;DR:

did / will do the conversion myself

:bug: long version:

yes and no official ones
there are unoffical conversions done in the earliest days of 5E though
but I want to change some stuff anyway
(aside that the encounter economy in 5E works different than 3.5E)
I have met (online) 2 dms who happen to run this for their Eberron groups - so we share handouts etc.
back in 2005, there was stuff included how to run this in Eberron - but I wanted to “increase” how the plot was entrenched in that setting

:worm:

1 Like

:bug: Goods in Diamond Lake

• Birdcage, small (2gp; 1lb.)
  • Breathing Mask (6gp; 1/2lb.)
  • Canary (1gp; --)
  • Diamond Water Elixir (40gp; --)
  • Miner’s Hat (1gp; 1lb.)
  • Miner’s Outfit (3gp; 6lb.)
  • Pickaxe (8gp; 6lb.)
  • Rockhammer (6gp; 10lb.)
  • Smelling Salts (20gp; --)