Open D&D Table - Episode 29: A Goal Without a Plan Is Just a Wish

“D&D1 HMU K THX!”

Or words to that effect.

Any reason you set the time to 17:00?

All you conformists set your clocks ahead an hour, I set mine back …

Either that, or it was an error. Call it fifty-fifty. :slight_smile:

An attempt at creating a “world map”, basically the stuff we’re carving into the table at the inn.
Not sure if I remembered all things and their relative locations correctly, please correct me if you see something that’s wrong.

List of maps
World Map - See above
Ravine Map - Session 13
Ravine Caves 1+2 (Goblins, Ogre) - Session 5
Ravine Cave 3 (Red goblins) - Session 13
Ravine Cave 5 (Cult) - Session 20
Ravine Cave 5 (Cult, downstairs) - Session 15
Ravine Cave 7 (Minotaur) - Session 8
Yarins Tomb - Session 12
Dungeon in the forest - Sesson 17
The Hill - Session 27
The Hill - Bat Cave - Session 23
The Hill - Monastery Grounds - Session 27
The Hill - Monastery Interior - Session 27
Eagle Mountain - See above

List of of sessions
Sessions 1 - 20

# When Location Encounters / Events XP
21 15.01.23 The Hill, Monastery grounds Raft building; Centipedes, Skeletons 102
22 25.01.23 The Hill Goblin War! 32
23 03.02.23 The Hill, Bat Cave Boring cave, Hobgoblin zombie 89
24 16.02.23 The Hill, Monastery Magic fountain, Inside of the monastery @H to decide
25 23.02.23 The Hill, Monastery (Cont.) Inside of the monastery @H to decide
26 09.03.23 The Hill, Monastery, Graveyard Night patrol, Undead 59
27 14.03.23 The Hill, Monastery, Graveyard Felonies: Grave robbery, Theft, Arson, Animal cruelty 66
28 21.03.23 The Hill, Monastery Random encounters galore @H to decide
29 29.03.23 Eagle Mountain Kidnapped by eagles, Escaping the mountain 123
Session # Treasure Current holder(s) Recipient(s)
21 Gems from the idol in the crypt @irx, @s_journ @irx, @s_journ, @Chylli, @alrik, @cwebb, @PH
1 Like

Cool map!

Everybody who made it back down the mountain earned 123 xp (and some interesting information), not to mention a bunch of frequent flyer miles.

Cheers!

Since our next session after the Easter break will be our 30th, I’d like to give a huge thank you to everyone who’s played this game and give a quick look ahead.

This game was always intended to be an open table. That’s the whole point of this exercise. And this has worked out pretty well, yet the old school system we play is a bit of a barrier for a lot of people.

For this reason, I’ve decided to convert our game to 5th edition. Fifth ed is the current lingua franca of role-playing, and it will make our game far more accessible. In addition, it has a number of advantages for telling the fantasy stories I’d like to share with you.

In addition, since my schedule is tightening, making our game AL-compatible will allow you to use your characters in other games when I’m unavailable.

Converting to 5th shouldn’t take more than an hour or so. All WotC published material will be legal for building your characters, but nothing 3rd party, please.

As an additional perk, in order to become AL-compatible, your characters will receive an appropriate amount of magical items based on the number of sessions they’ve played. (These won’t just magically appear in your packs; there’ll be a brief story involved.)

Don’t expect vorpal swords.

Hopefully, everybody will be on board with this change. I think it’s for the best. Thank you so much for all the shared adventures so far, and here’s to the next 30 games!

1 Like

I have almost started a debate about it, but then I have realised, this post was on the 1st of April.

1st of April or not, thanks for everyone in this rotating crew to make this “game” into something continous fun.
It is hard to belive we have discussed the possibility of such a game almost a year and 30-ish sessions ago.

Pure coincidence.

The actual April Fool’s jest was that anybody’s getting triple-digit xp.

Oh, just reading this. This for real?

If it is, I’m fine with the rule change, but maybe we should have a discussion either here or in person about the implications (will the gameplay style change? So far this game was an exploration/treasure hunt/flee-from-terror game, shall/should it stay so? The V.A.L.U.E. rules are meant for much quicker progression - one session/one level - do we want it so? Etc.)

Don’t take these points as rule-political, I’m here for fun (and a vorpal sword)

Totally!

No.

Getting exactly 123 XP is tottally belivable.
Like finding a Knock spell-scroll which reads as “password123”

the only two ways H is giving out triple digit xp I can imagine are:

-) the value starts with at least one 0, as in 001 xp
-) the character dies and got awarded xp posthumously (as preparation to be brought back at the new level as an enemy)

(Taking notes …)

1 Like