Open D&D Table - Episode 28: There Are Reasons Here to Give Your Life

D&D like it’s '83.

As always, drop me a line if interested.

And … full.

1 Like

I know you have enough regulars that these fill up immediately so it is never relevant but still having some context for people that don’t know what is going would probably be helpful :slight_smile:

Pure D&D 1st Edition untainted by Errata

It’s … D&D like it’s '83. That’s really all it is. I can post an FAQ or something when I have a minute, but that’s what it boils down to. It’s basically what the Stranger Things kids play. (Do we also deal with conspiracies and portals to alternate dimensions and make videos with Weezer? Maybe!)

And if you want to join us sometime, just shoot me a message!

(These things don’t always fill instantly. Today was a bit of a timing coincidence.)

Well, almost. We play a hybrid of 1st edition and Basic, because ain’t nobody got time for weapon speed factors. Nobody plays or played AD&D RAW, and that includes Gygax.

We take the chassis of Basic and add all the cool extras from AD&D. Or we play AD&D and replace all the annoying bits with stuff from Basic. Depends on your point of viow. It’s what a lot of people did at the time.

Pure D&D 1st Edition untainted by Errata but with a healthy dose of Homebrew

jokes aside
I think D&D like it’s '83 and shoot me a message
are a bit minimalistic in their explanation, but someone who would be interested could ask anytime anyway
:+1:

First hit’s free! :b

OK, I’ll try again. “D&D1 HMU K THX!”

Crud, that was even shorter. Maybe if I add an emoticon or two …

1 Like

perfect :+1:
:heart: it

The most important question for me being… Just how usable is my D&D Cyclopedia? :slight_smile:

I have a D&D red box my mom had bought/never used, but it’s back in California.

Sorry for getting in between the conversation. Just the usual post game summary.

No relevant map updates this time.

List of maps
Ravine Map - Session 13
Ravine Caves 1+2 (Goblins, Ogre) - Session 5
Ravine Cave 3 (Red goblins) - Session 13
Ravine Cave 5 (Cult) - Session 20
Ravine Cave 5 (Cult, downstairs) - Session 15
Ravine Cave 7 (Minotaur) - Session 8
Yarins Tomb - Session 12
Dungeon in the forest - Sesson 17
The Hill - Session 27
The Hill - Bat Cave - Session 23
The Hill - Monastery Grounds - Session 27
The Hill - Monastery Interior - Session 27

List of of sessions
Sessions 1 - 20

# When Location Encounters / Events XP
21 15.01.23 The Hill, Monastery grounds Raft building; Centipedes, Skeletons 102
22 25.01.23 The Hill Goblin War! 32
23 03.02.23 The Hill, Bat Cave Boring cave, Hobgoblin zombie 89
24 16.02.23 The Hill, Monastery Magic fountain, Inside of the monastery @H to decide
25 23.02.23 The Hill, Monastery (Cont.) Inside of the monastery @H to decide
26 09.03.23 The Hill, Monastery, Graveyard Night patrol, Undead 59
27 14.03.23 The Hill, Monastery, Graveyard Felonies: Grave robbery, Theft, Arson, Animal cruelty 66
28 21.03.23 The Hill, Monastery Random encounters galore @H to decide

List of treasures we still have to deal with

Session # Treasure Current holder(s) Recipient(s)
21 Gems from the idol in the crypt @irx, @s_journ @irx, @s_journ, @Chylli, @alrik, @cwebb, @PH

Our esteemed chronicler could never get in between the conversation. We’ll always listen/read in awe as someone actually manages to get some order in our shenanigans.

It would be quite useful for spells, descriptions and so on… but for calculation THAC0, not really
(not because the Cyclopedia is wrong, but because still nobody understand the THAC0 calculation.
So just roll your d20 and let your friendly DM to evaluate)

Awesome stuff. A lot of people consider that Cyclopedia the best D&D rulebook ever.

The backbone of our game is pretty much the same (technically it’s Moldvay Basic, more or less), but the details (classes, spells …) are taken from AD&D.

On the other hand, rulebooks aren’t required for players in this game. I don’t think any of the players have any.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.