Forging Legacy of RPG Vienna Together: Ideas and Volunteers Wanted!

@Rayce_Kaiser @Darthbinks @Neil and anyone interested in the topic of Vereins:

I made a separate thread about Vereins - feel free to post there anything related to the Vereinisation of the community (gov. resources, pluses and minuses, ideas etc).

I will keep my OP updated to sink all the useful links there. This might come useful for later discussions.

1 Like

Neil hit it on the head here.

Vereine are work. Way too much work to take on simply because having a Verein sounds neat. Just looking at this …

that’s an awful lot of time spent not playing games!

So far, reasons put forth for a Verein have been paying for this site and finding a place to play. I wholeheartedly support repaying Neil for his expenses (thanks, amigo!), but that doesn’t require a Verein. Just pass the hat at all games in a given week. Or make an event of it. Play Action Castle on the anniversary, ask everyone who can to throw five bucks or whatever Neil’s way, raise a glass and turn it into a party. Way more fun than simply paying dues, and no bureaucratic structure required.

As for a place to play, yes, there are spaces here that only rent to Vereine. But that seems like a bridge to be crossed if a space like that turns out to be the best option for those who want it. There are plenty of places that don’t require having a Verein. A gaming group I know found a very nice place for free, all without a Verein.

2 Likes

Thank you! I wish I could be more involved in that whole thing, but there is more important stuff right now… :frowning:

1 Like

No worries, you just let us know if there’s anything we can do for you Sebastian. You join when its appropriate. Moreover it seems that discussion will be going for a while and imho you have enough time to jump on board (if there would be anything to jump on board at all :D)

1 Like

Writing up an idea from in person chats: “Demystifying DM’ing” - a session where those who are hesitant to DM get to see behind the curtain as a session is prepped and then run.

Format would be -

• Two tables of DM + 3-4 players who would like to start DM’ing
  • Each DM takes an hour, starts from a blank sheet of paper and talks through how they set out a session, tricks of the trade, judging balance, etc.
  • DM’s swap tables and run the adventure for the other table - so each table plays an adventure they know was cooked up in the past hour ~ target 2.5-3hrs game time
  • End of session, take 30 mins to talk through where things went sideways, how the DM’s adapted on the fly, kept things moving, etc.

Goal is to demonstrate how fun games do not require vast amounts of work and to encourage people to give it a shot.

(Could be scaled up with more DM’s/tables if lots of folk are interested)

Could be followed up with “I want to run my first game” support where first time DM’s can request a couple of experienced players to be guinea-pigs so they can give it a try in comfort.

4 Likes

You mean my Kaiser Keeps DMing workshops? XD That I ran twice before personal life burnt me out xD

How to Motivate your Players

Your First Short Campaign

But yes, they were well recieved last time and honestly is a great experince!

2 Likes

unless we reach ~400 members or so, this :point_up: seems to be the far more reasonable approach

1 Like

Except we’re already asking people to pay dues at WOW/Keepers…
Except it’s been (according to Neil) years since enough donations came in to cover website costs…

Even though I am an inactive member of RPG Vienna, I’ll drop by to see what it’s about, how and why the needs of the RPG Vienna community have changed, what solutions have and have not worked and what steps are required to keep the loving community flourishing. I can also share my experiences with other Vereins. (also I’ll bring Coup).

2 Likes

Hello again. Twice in one week eh? :joy:

So I’ve spent a bit more time to read and digest the posts in here and the other thread.

The original post maybe started off with a slightly different goal but two of the bullet points in the OP are definitely Verein related (the first one in particular!) which is probably why the discussion has become more about the Verein than anything else.

I still think the question of:
Why should RPG Vienna “Verein-ify”? should be answered. Whether it’s in this thread, in person on the 22nd or a bit of both. Once that question has been answered, it leaves space for the other things like future events etc.

I’m seeing some good arguments why a Verein is not needed but not many arguments for why it is needed…so far :thinking:

3 Likes

This could easily be solved by making the fact that @Neil is paying privately for website costs more publicly known on the forum. I, for example, don’t even know how I would donate to Neil if I wanted to. Maybe this can be fixed with a link or something in every V.A.L.U.E game post? And/or DMs can mention it at the end of their games? Just by sheer curiosity, how much do you need to cover the costs Neil?

Edit: so far there haven’t been any complaints/questions about WoW keepers entry fees. It’s still much, much cheaper compared to playing in a Cafe/Restaurant and we could even store minis or other things there if needed.

2 Likes

I posted a PayPal link at some point and got a couple of donations that way (which I’m eternally grateful for) these days it costs me around 30 euros a month. I also set up a Patreon fairly recently but I decided to not make it public in the end. It always feels a bit dirty for me when the subject of money comes up :sweat_smile:

However, the subject of money seems to be a driving force for the Verein idea.

If people organize an event, couldn’t they just have a tip jar that goes towards the volunteers getting a käsesemmerl and a beer on the day?

2 Likes

We did that for Night of the Rolling Dice and it was a sizable amount, enough that I dont feel comfortable being responsible for it in any way :sweat_smile: @SilentButDeadly What was the actual amount?

Okay, lets move Verein stuff to the Verein thread and leave this poor thread for just general ideas xD

Here is the link btw.

4 Likes

In my opinion you shouldn’t feel bad about setting up a Patreon and if you’re OK with it I would petition include as a regular link together with the rules in each VALUE post. 30€/month is a sizeable amount for you to pay on your own but if each regular member subscribes to your Patreon it’s probably 1€/month/person and that’s really no big deal. And if there is more than you need, it can go towards books etc for the community :blush:

2 Likes

:point_up_2: Update location - WOW keepers

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing you all there. :slight_smile:
Is there an agenda or is it more of a casual conversation? (Or a bit of both)

2 Likes

I imagined it more casual. Would probably moderate the meeting just enough to keep the ball rolling and keep notes.

From my side would love if you could give a short opening speech about how RPG Vienna had started and progressed over the years.

BTW thought of going out for some food after the meeting in the nearby Diwan Holzkohlengrill place. Relly impressive and have some very reasonble-priced options. Lots of vegeterian options too. Not sure if they serve booze though.

Sign up here if you would like to join for after-meeting dinner. Planning to make a reservation by Friday.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to make the meeting. But you can write me on Discord or in the forum if you need something from me :slight_smile: (design, website, whatever).

2 Likes