List of DnD friendly places in Vienna

Good idea. However this week is too short notice to schedule a session (i assume) and next week im not in vienna. So if anyone wants to try it out in my place in the meanwhile that would be appreciated. Otherwise I will try to gather a party there the week after that.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Were checking out Sägewerk out yesterday (Friday)

the good:

• pretty nice place
  • our :it: liked the pizza
  • enough space on a Friday evening/night (we had 3 tables)

the bad:

• it is pretty loud there
5 Likes

The owner of Sägewerk approached my table yesterday and we had a little chat. Basically hes very open to the idea of us coming to them to play regularly. He even offered to reserve the entire back room for us if we came with 60 to 70 players, in which case he would turn down/off the music for us. However I had to tell him that we’re only about 20 to at most 40 players usually.

As for my feedback for the place, I agree with all of Darthbinks points. I like the place a lot. As for the noise, im honestly used to it by this point, since we play in a public location after all. (Of course i would prefer a quieter atmosphere however.) Lets keep an eye on Sägewerk. If we can get more weekly players again, perhaps around summertime, we might come to an agreement with them.

3 Likes

I think with some advertising and ability to play in quiet environment with decently-sized tables we could extend to 60 players. Of course the numbers fluctuate so not sure how Sägwerk would react when only 30 show up one week and 70 next one.

To add to that: he also said that it would be possible to turn down the music a bit during the week, but Friday would be tough. It sounded like he would be open to have us there any weekday night and would be able to accommodate with quieter music (and probably less other customers).

Edit: he also said he would be open to reserve the back room for us “once a month or so”. I’m not sure if he would want to host that many (60-70 ppl) once a week.

3 Likes

Lets try it once - call it a mini-con, call it an intro event (especially after the movie just dropped) and lets see just how many folk are out there.

I reckon we could double our typical ~ 25 and get 50 - but 60-70? Let us test and see - and be open with the Sagewerks gang that we are testing this out and are not sure ourselves of how many might rock up.

1 Like

I like the idea of it. In that event I would try and coordinate it with Sägewerk. Lets print a flyer that they hang on their front door.* (If theyre on board with it) We could even find more people for our community this way. Or is this idea too out there?

• I think the flyer should mention the rpg vienna forum, where people who want to participate have to register and announce themselves normally, so we know who and what to expect, rather than people just showing up willy nilly.
3 Likes

Love the idea. Recently got connected to a bunch of TTRPG fans at work and this would be perfect opportunity to introduce them to DnD and the community.

just pointing out 60-70 players would mean ~10 dms (aka 10 tables, not sure how the backroom is setup as I have not been there myself)

I think around 8 would fit very comfortably, 10 might also work. To give everyone a rough idea: it was us (3 comfy tables with 6 ppl each), two regular tables (also fitting 5 ppl), and two big birthday parties. One had a really big table, I would say ~30 ppl, and the other one also had around 15-20 ppl. Not sure how this would translate into separate DnD tables, but it would definitely be possible.

Edit: for the flyer it’s probably not a good idea to state date+time if we want to control the number of people somehow. Just saying something like “please register on the forum” will not stop people from just showing up. Maybe go with “more info on the forum” kind of message.

Im opening a new topic so we can discuss if we want to run this big event and how we want to run it. So as to move this discussion out of this thread.

If you need some extra humans for a one-time thing, I could probably put in a guest appearance …

Dwarves, hobbits and elves are welcome too :slight_smile:

To add another place to the list - we tried Schlupfwinkel Abendbeisl for a Saturday evening and it worked very well - had a quiet table, room to ourselves, the owner is apparently a Vampire player, the bar-man plays 3.5e; we booked a table and they did a little sword symbol sketch.

Only downside is its a little out of the way and is cash only but definitely a solid option. I reckon it could go up to 4 tables easily.

4 Likes

No RPGV list of places to play would be complete without Plutzerbräu.

1 Like

Old Oak Pub, Landstrasse 1030 Wien.
They expanded their premises by buying the adjacent Wild Geese pub and have a smaller bar room and a separate quite(er) room there which can be booked from 6pm to 11pm (to 12pm if folks keep ordering drinks). The separate room can host up to 6 tables (4 having bar stools). I spoke with Patrick and as long as there is consumption they can stay open till 12pm, they can also keep the table or even the room reserved wth exception when it is pre booked for certain events.

Advantages: separate room (adjacent to their second smaller bar), quiter (music can be lowered, not many guests in the expanded section). Patrick is a super friendly and approachable bartender
In the separat room there are 4 tall tables, 1 low table + 1 beer fest foldable table can be added.
(In the bar room there are 4 regular tables and 1 tall table.)

Disadvantages: In the separate room the 4 tall tables have bar stools which are however comfy. Open untill 11pm until, unless there are sufficent orders to keep it open until 12pm.
The bar room could get a bit noisier than the separate room but nothing compared to cafe 1070.

5 Likes

Add ‘Old Oak Pub’ … Cheers.

Thanks for reminder, will do