Trip to Trieste for Adventurer's League

the question is if we would still have a chance to get a spot to play, if they already got 150 players

It seems they are still allowing registrations (although I’m counting on google translate from Italian):

I think there’s a separate game for gente come noi who don’t speak italiano.

In any case, I’d probably tack on Sunday if I’m down there already.

Let’s do this.

Then please, PLEASE tell me about the magic 30€ bus? Marcel, Simon, and I have to be back in Vienna by on Sunday 13:30 at the latest for another game, but yes, that bus would offer us some flexibility. I mean, I sent you all my bus & train research, and you didn’t tell me you already knew about a 30€ bus ride?

Flixbus.at. And I wasn’t holding out, just googled it after reading your post a couple minutes ago.

If three people in your Sunday game are heading down, sure you don’t want to postpone that? Seems like a shame to have so little time in Trieste.

It’s a weird thing to follow these developments and read about your next D&D game being postponed due to half the party leaving town. But sure, sounds like a fun trip, so have fun!

Don’t get me wrong - I don’t want to spoil anybody’s D&D game. Just thought it was worth asking whether this is something that can easily be postponed. I have a thing myself on Saturday, but can bump it to Tuesday without stepping on any toes.

Anyway, sorry if that came out wrong.

Don’t worry, no hard feelings, just knew that that would be the consequence when I read the date of that event :wink: :smiley:

1 Like

Ok, I have done some math. Or, to look at it another way, I have plugged some numbers into Excel, and it did the match for me. First, @Sarah, I owe you an apology. You were absolutely right about Flixbus.

So, we have 2 options, and I’ll price them out below and attach the pdf of the excel sheet. If you want to see all my equations, drop me your email and I will gladly send you the excel sheet that I am not allowed to upload.

All numbers below are per person, and while they include any breakfasts if we stay at a hotel, they still do not include the 5€ admission, or other meals. There might also be taxi fares involved if we take the bus, and can’t figure out the Italian local public transportation.

Option 1: Take the midnight bus to Triest leaving Saturday 00:30. It puts us in at 5:30am, we have a whole day for comics and AL, get a hotel room Saturday night, people come back on Sunday according to their schedules. For this I used the cheapest B&B I could find, and put 2 people in a room (so both 5 people and 6 people required 3 rooms):
4ppl: 95,30€
5ppl: 100,00€
6ppl: 83,33€

Option 2: Drive down Friday evening, spend 2 nights in said cheap hotel, return Sunday. This gives us more flexibility than the bus, and as soon as we go over 4 people, we are up to the next-to-cheapest car, which is the cheapest van. Same deal on calculating hotel rooms:
4ppl: 146,73€
5ppl: 146,98€
6ppl: 122,49€

Option 1 is cheaper, but less flexible, and hopes people can sleep on the bus (which both @H and I have zero problem with). Option 2 is WAY more expensive, and someone has to drive at all times, it will take us less time to get there, but we’d have to agree on a time to leave.

I am counting as possibilities @H, @Simon, @Sarah, @Siobhan, @Tersidian, @gridshadow. Some of these guys haven’t confirmed, hence the range of numbers. The more the merrier, especially since we can easily fit 2 more people before going up a car level!

Trieste Trip.pdf (78.9 KB)

My apologies. I was still looking at Wien-Triest for the return trip, instead of looking at Triest-Wien. There IS a convenient afternoon bus that leaves around 13:00 and gets everyone home in decent time (20:00-ish) and it costs 5€ less than the outgoing bus. So add that to the bus info.

Wouldn’t option 1 be more flexible, since we wouldn’t all have to return at the same time?

1. there’s a bus that leaves Triest at 13:00, direct to Wien, 7 hours. The next bus leaves around 16:00 and gets in after 03:00. We’d pretty much all have to leave at the same time.

2. we can be 30 minutes later leaving in a car if we all decide we have to.

Understood. Just thinking it would give people the option of returning either Saturday or Sunday as desired.

Thanks for all the research!

Aha! Yes, you are correct, sir. And it would still be cheaper and less wear & tear on people* to take the bus.

Hey, you and @Sarah found the bus! I just plugged some shit into Excel. Which, as we all know, I have a tendency to do just for fun.

*but not me. Don’t let me drive. Relearning a manual transmission by blowing the clutch on a rental car at highway speeds classifies as something that should only be tried via roleplaying.

I’m interested, but am not 100% sure I am free that weekend. Hopefully I would know later this week, if that is OK?

I have to be honest, if we don’t decide by this weekend (say, the 15th), then I really have to say I can’t go. I got stuff to say yes or no to.

Well I’m definitely going.

I have to work that WE…

i’m not going, but hope those that go will have fun :slight_smile:

In.

And seriously, screw the stupid 10 charcter minimum for posts. What the heck is that good for? Whatever happened to brevity being the soul of wit? There aren’t any meaningful thoughts or concepts that can be transmitted in 9 characters or less? What about “Eureka!” for example? If Archimedes had been writing on a forum, he would have had to say “Gosh whiskers” or something equally inane, and now there’d be twenty-someodd thousand unhappy people forced to list their place of residence as Goshwhiskers, California as a result. Or he might simply have become frustrated by the ridiculous arbitrary limitation and decided to shut up rather than go to the trouble of coming up with something to fill in the missing characters, and then where would civilization be? To this day, we’d still be confused by flipping bathwater. Bathwater, for crying out loud!

In.

3 Likes