RPG Stores in Vienna

I thought it might not be a bad idea to lay out where in Vienna folks can go to find RPG-related fix.

Personally, I’ve had great success at Planet Harry off Mariahilferstrasse: good selection of English and German-language games and supplies, the guys there are friendly, speak great English, and have a newsletter and sign-up sheet in the store where they post advertisements for those looking for games. Given the obviously small contingent of English-speaking gamers here, any opportunity to get our names out there–in addition to sites like this one–are worth knowing!

Jason

I’ve heard nothing but good things about Planet Harry.

Not only that, but Harry mentioned this site both on Facebook and in the most recent Planet Harry newsletter. I’m getting all my RPG books from there from now on!

1 Like

Another store is Fantasy Flagship, but except for the Pathfinder Beginner Box one has to order English versions because the mostly stock the German versions. But if anyone is interested in LARP this is probably the go to store, or if you want to buy mead, they have plenty of that.

Another reason why Planet Harry is great: they also have English comics and board games.

Planet Harry also has a game room attached, if we need a space to play, we might be able to use it. Also, I live literally one street over from it, so I can pop in if anyone needs anything.

Hmm, I didn’t know that. Kind of a small-ish store, so it’s a bit unexpected, but still good to hear!

On Harry’s: a second glance at the Pathfinder section (the only one I really looked in) showed that there’s more German than English titles, but they quickly reserved me a copy of the Monster Manual for the RPG. We’ll see how quickly it comes in, but very helpful (plus, they gave my son a free comic!)

Jason

Don’t forget about Damage Unlimited on Theobaldgasse, just off Mariahilferstrasse, near Museumquartier.

damage-town.com/start.asp

I work near there, so I go in maybe once a week. They have a pretty wide selection of everything (tabletop wargames, CCGs, board games, RPGs, LARPs). It’s bigger and has nicer decor than Planet Harry, but the downside is that everything is slightly (sometimes really) overpriced. I’ve bought a few things from them, but always out of convenience because they have it in stock and I don’t want to wait.

They also have a pretty large room for gaming, which seems to be open most evenings. They play RPGS, CCGs and tabletop wargames mostly.

The guys who run the store are friendly enough, certainly not pushy or rude in any way in my experience. They will order stuff for you and it generally arrives when they say it will and for the price they quoted.

The only major downside as I said is price, which tends to be too high for my taste.

I am more of a loyal type of customer: if I get good treatment, I buy most of my things there.

My top store is Planet Harry. I like talking with the guys, and I always now that they don’t try to sell me something I don’t want to. They give out their subjective feedback of the games and comics they sell, which I like, as it is an honest opinion.

I didn’t know though that you can play RPGs there :question:

I also go to the fantasy flagship as they:

1.) are on my way from work
2.) I have friends there working, and a lot of friends are customers
3.)they have rooms to play. has to be arranged with them

They are more based on LARP, but also have a RPGs section. Every Tuesday there is a board game evening and every Wednesday the LARP community meets there (Event called Time Inn). Both start at 19:00

Then there is Damage Unlimited. I was a long standing customer there, but as I ordered some stuff they told me they could get. I waited and waited, but it never came. I asked repeatedly and after a while they said they couldn’t get it. This happened often. very often. I got pissed, and never went there again.

There was the Spielerei, but it closed down last year. Very sad, as the store was a nice alternative.

I forgot about Damage Unlimited; I went there a few times for wargame-related supplies, but didn’t pay much attention to their RPG section. I DO wonder if getting a hold of English-language material will be a bit of a challenge here–I may have gotten lucky at Planet Harry with my Pathfinder Core Book purchase–because it seems like a number of stores have limited holdings. If that’s the case, I guess it is up to Ebay or Amazon!

So Alissa and I gave Planet Harry a quick visit today. (Well, I say quick. I spent half an hour looking through pretty much everything they have…which is a LOT)

Saw Jasons and Dovs signatures on the LFG sheet :wink:

It was quite surprising. The shop’s fairly small but packed with stuff and it’s all very reasonably priced. We talked with Michael, totally friendly and nice guy. He said he’s seen RPG Vienna and mentioned that they’d send more people this way in the future.

I bought The Hobbit Boardgame (In English). I’d previously seen the German version in Thalia (32 Euro) and Müller (30 Euro)…Harry had it for 20 Euro. No complaints from me!

One more thing he mentioned. He said he’d seen this thread were someone mentioned they had a games room at the back. He said this was a misunderstanding. It’s only a stock room and it’s not available for use. Hope that clears things up!

Yes, it turns out that the SpielRaum (spielraum.co.at/de/de.aspx) is a different place. I thought they were the same store. They’re right next to each other, though.

Yes, it turns out that the SpielRaum (spielraum.co.at/de/de.aspx) is a different place. I thought they were the same store. They’re right next to each other, though.[/quote]

Spielraum is focused on Trading Cards
I dunno if you could the “games room” for RPGs

The games room in the Fantasy Flagship is pretty good

I can recommend Planet Harry & Fantasy Flagship as well
(especially the first one)

I went down to Planet Harry yesterday to pick up ‘A Games of Thrones’ Living Card Game. I’ve been meaning to pick up this and the LOTR LCG for a while, so with a week off work I’ve done a lot of catching up.

The core game was €33 in Planet Harry.

The same core set is usually on sale in Damage Unlimited for €44.99.

Quite a difference and it’s pretty much the same across the board for different products. I’ll be sure to look into Harry’s first in future.

Nice one Zeldalink.

From now on maybe we should call that shop Wallet Damage: Unlimited.

…Taxi!..

1 Like

So, after noticing I had forgotten my dies in the old country, and based on this thread, I stopped to Planet: Harry yesterday to buy some…

They have some really nice things. I think I will do regular trips there starting next week…

[quote=“Zeldalink”]I went down to Planet Harry yesterday to pick up ‘A Games of Thrones’ Living Card Game. I’ve been meaning to pick up this and the LOTR LCG for a while, so with a week off work I’ve done a lot of catching up.

The core game was €33 in Planet Harry.

The same core set is usually on sale in Damage Unlimited for €44.99.

Quite a difference and it’s pretty much the same across the board for different products. I’ll be sure to look into Harry’s first in future.[/quote]

How are both games? Sounds like fun, would welcome your thoughts…

Jason

Post Moved : HERE

[quote=“Neil”]
I hope you don’t mind but I moved your post to the “Other Games” forum as it’s a great, interesting post and more than worthy of being a review. I just don’t want it to get lost in this thread! [/quote]

Recent Scores from Planet Harry.

Trail of Cthulhu (Core Rulebook Hardcover)
Set of “Elven” Dice for Ally
400 Arcane Tinmen card sleeves for Arkham Horror :nerd:

[quote=“Neil”]Recent Scores from Planet Harry.

400 Arcane Tinmen card sleeves for Arkham Horror :nerd:[/quote]

Now I know how Dr. Frankenstein felt.

[quote=“AmLash”][quote=“Neil”]Recent Scores from Planet Harry.

400 Arcane Tinmen card sleeves for Arkham Horror :nerd:[/quote]

Now I know how Dr. Frankenstein felt.[/quote]

hahaha! :smiley:

Latest score. Lord of The Rings Card Game and Pandemic (English Version) on order.

Another endorsement for Planet Harry.

Not only do they pack a surprising amount of gaming fun into quite a small space, but Harry is good people. And I think that’s important, too.