Looking for group

As some of you already know, I want to start my own gaming group in January.

I have been rather short on informations for the ‘public’ up until now, as I myself don’t really know how to go on about it.

Two things make that whole plan a bit complicated:

a) I am rather new to GMing. I have a bit of experience with it from previous encounters, but I’m not even on level 2 yet.
(I tried GMing a campaign some years ago, but failed epically, as I tried to do it all, self-inspired campaign setting, self-written campaign… It didn’t see a third game.
I GMed a short game at a convention 2 years ago, that went rather well, but at that time I didn’t have a group anymore.
I GM an online campaign for some time now, but it’s slow and the characters are just about to reach the third level.)

b) I’m living outside of Vienna, commuting Monday to Friday to town, so I don’t have a place where we can play. We would either have to meet up at a public place or someone would have to open up his home for us.

As for the game, I can present two options:

1. Kingmaker:
    A Pathfinder game in Paizo’s ‘Golarion Campaign Setting’. Players are chartered to explore and map a region called the ‘Stolen Lands’. Later on they might be the leaders of a nation.

2. Midnight:
    An adapted D&D3.5 game in Fantasy Flight Games’ ‘Midnight Campaign Setting’. The players are trying to survive and help the people under the oppression of the evil god Izrador ruling the lands.

The first option would make preparing easy for me, as I know the setting and campaign as well as the rules pretty good.
Midnight I knew better some time ago, and I’d have to find my books again as well as read them again, but it’s a really nice twist on the classic fantasy setting and I really would like to get a chance at playing it.
Unfortunately I wont be able to do both, that’s why I’m giving potential players a choice.

So, whoever has interest in playing one or the other choice, please speak up. I’m looking for 4 to 5 players, that would have time, preferably on Friday afternoons (I leave work on Fridays around 1 pm).

No one?

I would be interested, but I just don’t have time in the evenings or on Fridays. I don’t get home until 6 or so, and gaming late will just fry me for the next day :frowning:. I wasn’t dissing you, I just can’t make that schedule.

Well, thanks Siobhan. (Now I know that thread isn’t invisible.)

Friday afternoon I mentioned because it would be the best possible time for me. I know finding a spot in the week isn’t the easiest thing, but in essence it was no ‘has to be Friday afternoon’, just a preference I would have had.

Which game would you be more interrested in?

Like I already said, if you’d be willing to tolerate my questionable behavior and general tendency to shoot at elevated platforms(they provoked me), I’d be very interested in seeing you GMing. :'D

I dont have time to have another full time group.

hmmmm, in order of preference, Planescape, Dresden Files, Star Wars Saga, and Shadowrun…

Same here.
I am quite busy with the group I am currently on already. And anywhere in Vienna is always quite a treck for me to be honest.
I would be certainly be interested with the occasional one-shot, but I can’t decently commit to a full campaign right now…

As an aside, I don’t know if Kingmaker is the right choice for a beginning DM, it’s open-endedness can be quite confusing, and it’s a bit sparce, leaving quite a fair bit of material for you to bring in…

Sorry, I don’t have knowledge or material for those games.

[quote=“Simon”]Same here.
I am quite busy with the group I am currently on already. And anywhere in Vienna is always quite a treck for me to be honest.
I would be certainly be interested with the occasional one-shot, but I can’t decently commit to a full campaign right now…

As an aside, I don’t know if Kingmaker is the right choice for a beginning DM, it’s open-endedness can be quite confusing, and it’s a bit sparce, leaving quite a fair bit of material for you to bring in…[/quote]
Fair enough, I would have guessed some have a tight schedule already.

As for Kingmaker: I’m running that game already, albeit online, where the pace is quite slow, but I see your point.

How about a different option then:

Pathfinder Modules. I own a bunch of them. Most of them are stand-alone short games (not one-shots, but covering about 2-3 character levels).
They are easy to prepare, I can start with some low level ones and we can work our way up.
(I just received a really great looking 1st level Module, Murder’s Mark)

Would anyone be interested in that?

I admit, I am already playing Pathfinder/D&D and just not interested in another round of the same game. I’m sorry.

[quote=“Frazzlerunning”]
Fair enough, I would have guessed some have a tight schedule already.

As for Kingmaker: I’m running that game already, albeit online, where the pace is quite slow, but I see your point.

How about a different option then:

Pathfinder Modules. I own a bunch of them. Most of them are stand-alone short games (not one-shots, but covering about 2-3 character levels).
They are easy to prepare, I can start with some low level ones and we can work our way up.
(I just received a really great looking 1st level Module, Murder’s Mark)

Would anyone be interested in that?[/quote]

That I could definitively do. Bottomline, I am already over-booked so if I joined a regular game, I’d end up missing most of the session and being a pain.

A more episodic formula, something I could join from time to time when I have time, that’d be easier…

December is upon us, and I want to start thinking about a date and time for a possible first session.
Thus I set up this doodle: doodle.com/52eeahxpp7gat3ag

Currently it reflects my work-schedule, Mo-Th I work until around 4pm, Fr work’s done around 1pm. Sundays I want to keep free.

As has been discussed, we would start with a Pathfinder Module called “Murder’s Mark”, a module for 1st level, bringing the players up to just over 2nd level. I have no idea how fast we could get through it though, but judging by other games, I’d say three sessions?

If 4 or 5 players find a time with me, we’d only have to discuss the place.

As i have already said in my post , would be more than happy to join,learn and have fun :slight_smile:

If it’s going to be D&D 3.5/Pathfinder, I’d like to join the group

Yes, it will be Pathfinder, as it’s the one system I’m most comfortable with, and have the most material for.

I’d like to remind you to mark off possible dates for the first session to “Murder’s Mark”, right in this doodle. (up until now only Simon has done this)

I can not really understand how this doodle thing works -.-

I have listed dates/times when I think I’d be available to play.

All you have to do is put your name in the field below ‘Simon’, then click either ‘Yes’ (Meaning: “I have time”), ‘(Yes)’ (Meaning: “Maybe? I don’t know for sure, but I think I could make it, another day/time would be better though…”), or ‘No’ (Meaning… you figure it out, right? :wink: ).

A click on the crumpled lines or the [show all options]-button expands the timeline for all options. On the bottom of the page is also a language-selector, but I guess that’s not fully working, for all languages.

Does that help?

EDIT: Don’t forget to click [Save] when done marking possible dates!

Hi!

me and my girlfriend would be interested in joining the group.
What shall we do now? :slight_smile:

Hello to you two again.

It looks like the 12th of January is the preferred option, (or at least the one where most of us have time), so I’ll get a bit into the details.

As has been stated, the first module I’m going to DM is called “Murder’s Mark”.

It is set in the small town of Ilsurian, and starts with the arrival of the Umbral Carnival, a travelling circus.
This is most likely the reason why you are in town as well, having heard of the circus coming and wanting to attend.

As we probably won’t meet up before the game, I’d like you to create characters on your own and PM me with a quick run-down (Character name, class, feat(s), highest skills, equipment). Characters shall be non-evil, 1st level, 20 point-buy, available races and classes from the Core Rulebook, Advanced Players Guide, Ultimate Combat and Ultimate Magic (all those things can be found here).

If you need help with creating your character, please PM me. If you have never done this before it can get a bit overwhelming, so don’t hesitate.
I can help you make a robust character if you describe it either as a movie or fantasy character, or as a concept, and we can work from there.

As for the place of our first meeting: noxous gratefully volunteered to let us use his dorm-room, but for the first meeting we could go to Fantasy Flagship if everyone is okay with that.

Anything I missed?

good!
We will try to create our characters, in case of need we will contact you!