Ask Captain Pathfinder!

Siobhan recently advised me that a Captain Pathfinder forum should be created with any and all questions directed towards AmLash (aka. Captain Pathfinder) I’ve started it as a thread so let’s see how it goes.

AmLash is without a doubt the most knowledgeable person I know when it comes down to RPGs and rules…ask away! :smiley:

That’s a bit of an overstatement, but I hope I am up for the challenge.

HEY! Here is my list so far, I am sure there will be others!

Dear Captain Pathfinder,

1. Bluff (page 90): It says I can use bluff to feint in combat. Does that mean I am adding my bluff bonus instead of my CMB to my attack roll? I am super-excited if this is true, acuz if I feint successfully I can use my sneak attack damage.

2. Can leather armor be made from dragonhide?

3. Ultimate Equipment: what is the Armor Class of the magic armors?
    3a. What is the armor class of Mithril Chain?

4. What are “negative levels”?

1. Feinting is not a combat maneuver, and it doesn’t require you to attack.
    It take a standard action to do it, and you roll bluff vs 10 + your opponent’s base attack bonus + your opponent’s Wisdom or if your opponent has skill points in sense motive the DC is instead equal to 10 + your opponent’s Sense Motive bonus, if higher.

Details: d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Feint

[quote]Feint

Note: Though the feint action is located here, near the rules for combat maneuvers, and while it seems like it might BE a combat maneuver, feinting is NOT a combat maneuver. The Paizo PRD is organized with the feint rules located in the same placement.

Feinting is a standard action. To feint, make a Bluff skill check. The DC of this check is equal to 10 + your opponent’s base attack bonus + your opponent’s Wisdom modifier. If your opponent is trained in Sense Motive, the DC is instead equal to 10 + your opponent’s Sense Motive bonus, if higher. If successful, the next melee attack you make against the target does not allow him to use his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any). This attack must be made on or before your next turn.

When feinting against a non-humanoid you take a –4 penalty. Against a creature of animal Intelligence (1 or 2), you take a –8 penalty. Against a creature lacking an Intelligence score, it’s impossible. Feinting in combat does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
Feinting as a Move Action

With the Improved Feint feat, you can attempt a feint as a move action.[/quote]

So yes, you could feint, and in the next round sneak attack with your first attack roll. With the improved feint feat, you can manage that in the same round.

1. Ask your DM. I would say yes as it is a type of hide. - and remember the rule of cool.

2. Depends on the Enhancement. It must be at least +1 to be magical and to enhance it with other magical properties.
    3a. Mithral doesn’t change the Armor Class of the basic armor.
    d20pfsrd.com/equipment—fin … OC-Mithral

[quote]Mithral
Mithral is a very rare silvery, glistening metal that is lighter than steel but just as hard.

When worked like steel, it becomes a wonderful material from which to create armor, and is occasionally used for other items as well. Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. This decrease does not apply to proficiency in wearing the armor. A character wearing mithral full plate must be proficient in wearing heavy armor to avoid adding the armor’s check penalty to all his attack rolls and skill checks that involve moving. Spell failure chances for armors and shields made from mithral are decreased by 10%, maximum Dexterity bonuses are increased by 2, and armor check penalties are decreased by 3 (to a minimum of 0).

Items not primarily of metal are not meaningfully affected by being partially made of mithral. (A longsword can be a mithral weapon, while a quarterstaff cannot.) Mithral weapons count as silver for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

HP/inch 30
Hardness 15
Cost Weapons or armors fashioned from mithral are always masterwork items as well; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below.
Weight 1/2 normal
Weight (Longer Wording) An item made from mithral weighs half as much as the same item made from other metals. In the case of weapons, this lighter weight does not change a weapon’s size category or the ease with which it can be wielded (whether it is light, one-handed, or two-handed).[/quote]

So a chain shirt would be +4 AC and a chainmail would be +6 AC.

1. Here is what negative levels do:
    d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/s … ive-Levels

[quote]Energy Drain and Negative Levels

Some spells and a number of undead creatures have the ability to drain away life and energy; this dreadful attack results in “negative levels.” These cause a character to take a number of penalties.

For each negative level a creature has, it takes a cumulative –1 penalty on all ability checks, attack rolls, combat maneuver checks, Combat Maneuver Defense, saving throws, and skill checks. In addition, the creature reduces its current and total hit points by 5 for each negative level it possesses. The creature is also treated as one level lower for the purpose of level-dependent variables (such as spellcasting) for each negative level possessed. Spellcasters do not lose any prepared spells or slots as a result of negative levels. If a creature’s negative levels equal or exceed its total Hit Dice, it dies.

A creature with temporary negative levels receives a new saving throw to remove the negative level each day. The DC of this save is the same as the effect that caused the negative levels.

Some abilities and spells (such as raise dead) bestow permanent level drain on a creature. These are treated just like temporary negative levels, but they do not allow a new save each day to remove them. Level drain can be removed through spells like restoration. Permanent negative levels remain after a dead creature is restored to life. A creature whose permanent negative levels equal its Hit Dice cannot be brought back to life through spells like raise dead and resurrection without also receiving a restoration spell, cast the round after it is restored to life.[/quote]

If you need more details, please ask.

Nope! That answers everything*! And Dragon-Leather Armor would be TOTALLY cool.

*for NOW :smiling_imp:

Yeah, it’s best when meeting other dragons.

Same effect as a dragon walking around in armor of human skins.

“Kill it!”
“But they were evil humans!”
“Uh, yeah sure…” palladin charge

1. Since Mithril armor weighs half of what regular armor weighs, does it encumber less? E.g., while wearing a regular suit of chainmail, a humanoid that can normally move 30 ft can only move 20 feet. A mithril suit of chainmail would weigh the same as leather armor… can the character then move 30 ft again?

2. Mithril reduces the armor check penalty by 3, and masterwork by 1. After giving all of the mithril stats, the CR then says in a separate line that it is also Masterwork. Does this mean a suit of mithril scale mail has no armor check penalty?

3. What’s the deal with armor check penalty anyway? it appears to only apply if the character wears armor with which they are not proficient? Is that right? Never mind, I found this answer under the description for the Armor Proficiency, Light feat.

So, yeah, Mithral chainmail allows you to move 30ft, if you aren’t encumbered beyond that.

That’s a good one, I’ll wait for Captain Pathfinder to give you the answer there, though I suspect the masterwork quality is already accounted for in the reduction of ACP.

You’ve found it, great!

EDIT: Do I qualify for Deputy?

The book (via paizo) puts it this way (which does make you wonder how I totally missed the “treated as one category lighter for purposes of movement”):

[quote]Mithral: Mithral is a very rare silvery, glistening metal that is lighter than steel but just as hard. When worked like steel, it becomes a wonderful material from which to create armor, and is occasionally used for other items as well. Most mithral armors are one category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. This decrease does not apply to proficiency in wearing the armor. A character wearing mithral full plate must be proficient in wearing heavy armor to avoid adding the armor’s check penalty to all his attack rolls and skill checks that involve moving. Spell failure chances for armors and shields made from mithral are decreased by 10%, maximum Dexterity bonuses are increased by 2, and armor check penalties are decreased by 3 (to a minimum of 0).

An item made from mithral weighs half as much as the same item made from other metals. In the case of weapons, this lighter weight does not change a weapon’s size category or the ease with which it can be wielded (whether it is light, one-handed, or two-handed). Items not primarily of metal are not meaningfully affected by being partially made of mithral. (A longsword can be a mithral weapon, while a quarterstaff cannot.) Mithral weapons count as silver for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Weapons or armors fashioned from mithral are always masterwork items as well; the masterwork cost is included in the prices given below.[/quote]

In other words, it specifically mentions that the Masterwork COST is included. However, it separates the bonuses – lists them, then the movement, then the manufacture, THEN adds that they are also Masterwork. Then specifically says the cost is included, but doesn’t mention the other Masterwork benefit. It seems almost deliberately ambiguous, eh?

Yeah, almost. As I wrote, I suspect it is factored in, but I’m not entirely sure.

EDIT: Looking it up on the Paizo messageboard, that’s the common interpretation as well, see here: paizo.com/forums/dmtz2fc8?Mithri … -penalty#0

So the -3 include/replace the mw. bonus.

[quote]

So, yeah, Mithral chainmail allows you to move 30ft, if you aren’t encumbered beyond that.[/quote]

Correct. You first look up how much your armor encumbers you. After that you calculate the weight of all your items and cross reference it in this table (Table: Carrying Capacity) with your Strength: d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/e … g-Capacity

If you stay in the same category as your armor, nothing changes. If the weight is heavier than your armor you suffer the penalties described in this table (Table: Encumbrance Effects) instead of your armor penalties: d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/e … ce-Effects

Just so the other players know:

[quote]Armor Proficiency, Light (Combat)
You are skilled at wearing light armors.

Benefit: When you wear light armor, the armor check penalty for that armor applies only to Dexterity- and Strength-based skill checks.

Normal: A character who is wearing armor with which he is not proficient applies its armor check penalty to attack rolls and to all skill checks that involve moving.

Special: All characters except monks, sorcerers, and wizards automatically have Light Armor Proficiency as a bonus feat. They need not select it.[/quote]

Thank you for your assistance Paizo Boy!

Paizo Boy, hu? Nice!

Your promotion came with a gimick:

amazon.de/Pegasus-Spiele-Thu … =8-2-spell

Only if you need it, I read in your “Playing” section that you like to play Thunderstone. I won that expansion and don’t know what to do with it.

So what did we learn kids? Always help other adventurers and fill out your profile, and fate will reward you!

Wow, really cool! When next we meet, I’ll bring your remaining mini.

So, if a woodchuck could chuck wood how much wood would it chuck as a standard action?

Also, is wood chucking a class skill for woodchucks?

Finally, is wood chucking con based? Does that mean my undead woodchuck now sucks at chucking? Can I at least trade my feat: “Skill focus (wood chucking)” and take “Weapon specialization (beak)” instead or am I shit out of chuck?

The people deserves to know!

Simon, it’s too early to ask that. Paizo’s “Guide to WoodChuckers” is due for release in 2013 after “Ultimate Equipment 2: Ultimaterer Equipment”, “Advanced Race Guide 4”

and even then, you’ll only find out the true answer to your question when the “Advanced WoodChucker Guide” has been released.

Take rabbit as a base creature:
pathfinderdb.com/gamemaster- … 188-rabbit

and give him the ability:

Woodchucking (Ex): When dealing damage with its bite against wood, the woodchuck ignores it’s damage reduction.

Here: is the chart for wood HP depend on quality:
d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/q … Hit-Points

The ‘Woodchucking (Ex)’ makes the rabbit a CR 1/3.

ok, real question: Boxes on the char sheet that I don’t know how to fill out.

Fly, Swim, Climb, and Burrow. I can find NOWHERE the speeds for these. There are some hints that Swim and Climb are 1/4 normal speed, and that fly is 1/2 normal, but there’s NOTHING about burrow, and I am not so sure of those other numbers.

HELP! I don’t want empty boxes!

Swim is a quarter your speed.

Climb is 1/4 your normal speed. You can try going faster, up to 1/2 your speed, but you take a penalty to your climb roll.

The speed of Fly varies depending of your mean of flying. Most creatures would do so through a spell, and so the speed will be indicated in the spell (although, you need to succeed a fly roll to move your full speed). Creatures which can fly naturally (normally, none of the PCs race) should have a fly speed indicated. Changing into a creature that can fly (as druids are wont to do) should be the same thing: the creature in question will have its fly speed listed.

Burrow is pretty much the same thing. You’d normally need a spell/magic item to do that and this should list the speed. Unusual creatures that can burrow naturally should have this speed listed alongside its boring speed. Again, this should not come up in a regular campaign, but I do believe that the ratfolk do have a burrow ability, and these guys are playable…