Ask Captain Pathfinder!

1/4 rounded up? I put 7.5 (1/4 of 30) into the box, and the sheet changed it to 8. But the sheet has been known to be wrong.

Normally,vyou always round DOWN… There are exceptions, but I’d very surprised if it was one of them…

Well, then, in this case I can override the sheet.

Captain Pathfinder wanted to like the answer, but the button disappeared.

Speeds are normally recorded in 5 ft. increments. (coming from playing with battlemaps, where one square normally indicates 5ft.)

So that quarter of your land speed (reduced due to armor or encumbrance) rounded down to the next 5ft. is your swim and climb speed.

[quote=“Frazzlerunning”]Speeds are normally recorded in 5 ft. increments. (coming from playing with battlemaps, where one square normally indicates 5ft.)

So that quarter of your land speed (reduced due to armor or encumbrance) rounded down to the next 5ft. is your swim and climb speed.[/quote]

Most indeedly so. I forgot to mention that…
If it gest confusing, just convert your speed in square at the beginning: either 6 or 4 squares, note that value down insteand and then do all your calculation based on that number…

Dear Captain,

i have a rather stupid question but i will ask anyway xD

the metamagic feat Bouncing Spell
says that if by any chance the enemy makes his save and would not be hit or get damage or what not THEN i can target another enemy.
Does that work with (ranged) Touch spells if i have 2 adjecent enemys to me?

I’d rule it that way. Let me quote my answer regarding that feat, that I sent GJsoft yesterday:

[quote=“Frazzlerunning”][quote=“GJsoft”]

I’d just like to know if this also applies to ranged touch spells.

“Whenever a bouncing spell targeting a single creature has no effect on its intended target” would imply that to be the case, but
"(whether due to spell resistance or a successful saving throw) "
doesn’t mention failed touch attack rolls.
I’d be inclined to believe the () was just an example and not the actual description of the spell.

What do you think?[/quote]

Bouncing spell is a complicated one.

As far as I would rule it, it only works with spells that have a “target:” line.
Acid arrow for example doesn’t have a target line, so you can’t cast a bouncing acid arrow.
Magic missile on the other hand has “targets: up to 5 creatures…”, so bouncing magic missiles are good.

Now according to the text of the feat, it only works if you fail a spell resistance roll or the target(s) makes its saving throw. If you fail to hit (attack roll to low) you simply missed the target and the spell doesn’t bounce.

All clear?[/quote]

Another thing of note:

You can only make so many (ranged) touch attack (attempts) per round, as you would normally have attacks.
(1 until your BAB is higher than 5, or two with two-weapon fighting (taking penalties)).

[quote=“CRB, page 185”]
Touch Spells in Combat: Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) as a free action. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.[/quote]

I would rule that since you have to check whetever it has an effect, so it must have made a saving throw or spell resistance check to see if it has any effect at all to trigger the effect of the bouncing spell. So if you miss, you can’t redirect it.

Summarized: Bouncing Spell is not a free reroll for missed spell attack rolls.

I am so glad that you rule basically the same as I do.

[on another note, there’s something buggy with this thread. I read your reply now on the third screen (phone, tablet, now PC, thus answer), but it still showed up as new.
On the ForumRunner app on the other hand, this thread doesn’t show up.]