Any indie gamers around?

Hi Alrik,

I’m an enthusiastic indie gamer and would love to join this plan of yours :slight_smile:

I too have been wanting to try out games such as fiasco, PTA, shock etc.
An avid roleplayer since my youth, I have played about everything from KULT and MERS to just about all editions of D&D, a bit of Shadowrun, Call of Cthulhu etc. etc.

More recently, I have discovered the Forge site, and have taken to such games as My Life with Master, Riddle of Steel, City of Birds and Dogs in the Vinyard (all of which we have actually played at least once).
In fact, we’ve currently got an on-off series of sessions of DitV going since the early summer (we’re 3 sessions in, and it’s on a “whoever shows up, can play” basis). I’d be happy to invite you to join us in that, if you’d like?

Also, I keep wanting to try out some of those games that you mentioned, and also stuff like Apocalypse World (or Dungeon World, or any of the DarkSun or Shadowrun hacks for that system)… but my regular gaming group, you know, they are not too much into all this “hippie games” stuff… :wink:

So long story short, I would gladly like to meet you and join forces in trying to get a few people together for it! I would as gladly run them games as i would play them. Also, I can maybe bring a newbie friend or two who might also be interested into the mix (but they have zero idea of those games yet, they are just the only ones who i guess would readily play pretty much whatever I happened to drag in this week :wink: )

Oh, and monthly sounds about fine to me, as well, and i completely agree that the systems could be changed rather frequently, due to most of them not needing a long run in order to work…

best regards,

Alegz

Hi guys! Is there a space for a complete newbie in one of your sessions? I’d like to join and give it a try :slight_smile:

Greetings,
Tam

Hi there,

I for one sure wouldn’t mind - It’s always fun to introduce a newbie as far as I’m concerned :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, none of the things I am / we are playing right now falls into the category of Epic Fantasy as you mentioned in the other thread you would like to play. There#s this ongoing Dogs in the Vineyard thing, which is Old West (with a few very specific twists to it), Shock is Sci-Fi (but would also work in Fantasy I believe, but also has a very special drift to it, not necessarily an “epic” one, though…) and Fiasco is supposed to be set in the here-and-now afaik

Then there is Apocalypse World, which I would love to play/run, and which has a post-apocalyptic setting (duh!)
There is, however, a variant (a so-called “hack”) of ApocWorld called Dungeon World. This one is (supposed to be, as I haven’t actually tried it yet) very close to the experience created by old-school D&D. Also, it is supposedly very easy to learn as the rules are very much on the simple side of things. Maybe this would be the best fit for your tastes, but if you’re willing to also try out some other games, I’m sure we could get together somehow :slight_smile:

Alrik mentioned that he would be coming to Vienna around the middle of October, i believe, so let’s wait for that before making any more concrete plans, perhaps? After all, he is the one started this very thread, and thus I feel it would be rude to just up and go off without him :smiley:

Hey Auburney, thanx for the suggestions!

Dungeon World sounds great, please count me in if you’re planning it! :slight_smile: I’m out of Vienna around the middle of October but will be back before the end of the month and keep in touch till then.

And for other games - by all means, actually I really liked the idea of DitV when I read a bit about it, I’d like to try it. And Sci-Fi is definitely on my list.

The one thing I’m not interested in are horror stories and I can definitely live without war and military stuff :wink:

Talk soon
Tam

sounds great!

Yes, DitV is a very beginner-friendly game I find. Actually, in my experience it is surprisingly friendly to everyone :smiley: Both my old-timer RPG-veteran friends and two newer recruits to the hobby had no problems entering it (accepting the premises, groking the gameplay…). And I as a GM found it extremely easy and great fun to run - the game just pushes all the right buttons with both players and GM I guess^^

(for example, it tells me as a GM exactly what to prepare, and what to leave open/undecided in prep. Sounds like a no-brainer, but in this case it works marvellously for me so far - better than many of the traditional games I’ve played/run)

Horror is something I haven’t done in years, admittedly, so no reason to fear, there :smiley:
Of course, most fantasy and sci-fi has an element of horror somewhere in there, but full-blown horror stories… nah, that’s not something I’m overly keen on either.

There’s some war and military stuff in ApocWorld, I guess, but really, that game is also more focussed on the personal development of the characters, and their relations amongst each other (and with NPCs). The fighting is more sort of windowdressing in this one, I’d say… (not having actually played or run it so for, so take with grain of salt^^)

Do you guys still have openings left? There are some interesting games here I’d like to try at least once.
I’d be willing to join in a couple of sessions as long as it doesn’t cross with my main group.

Hi GJsoft, I’m sure we’ll be able to arrange something :smiley:

nothing is fixed as of yet, however. I’d say we’re pretty much still in the “gauging interest” phase. So far, no less than 9 people appear to have expressed their interest in this kind of games. I guess we’ll have to break that up into, like, 2 groups or something :slight_smile:

Then again, not all uf will likely be having time available at the same days anyway, so perhaps a rotation of who runs and who plays might be established…

I for one prefer to run for groups of 3-5 players, mostly depending on the game really.
DitV works maybe best with 2-4 players, I find (sweet spot probably at 3), while I believe Shock benefits from 5 or even more participants (that one is GM-less, so everybody gets to be a player). Got no personal experience with Fiasco, nor with ApocWorld and DungeonWorld, though…

Hi again!

First of all I wanna apologize for my long absence. I had to get some metal removed from my shoulder after an accident I had last year… In the meantime I actually moved to Vienna (last time i posted was still from Germany).

However, now that these little annoying necessities have been overcome I’m ready for some gaming!! :wink:

Sorry, but -H- already mentioned it. These are not the indie games I was thinking of. Sure, Dresden Files is kinda “indie” and I admit that it sounds like a solid and fun game to play, but I’m looking for some die-hard “story-games” from the Forge and other platforms (e.g. story-games.com).

A pretty comprehensive list can be found here.

@Auburney and Tam
That sounds awesome! Just what I’ve been looking for! I’ve already played DitV a couple of times. Though i gotta say that i developed some personal problems with the moral motivations of most protagonists as the game driving element… but hey, maybe I got it all wrong! :unamused: Nevertheless it’s probably the best game to get to know the way how indie games work out there.

PtA is always fun and i would be happy to host a tv show for you… and Shock is definitely on my list of must-play games!

I guess it would be nice to meet you guys in person. I could come around for the DitV game if you like. Then we can talk about future projects :wink:

Hi,

that all sounds great! :slight_smile:

And yes, I’d like to meet everyone personally before starting play. Perhaps get together for a beer or coffee or something sometime soon? Then we could talk about what characters everyone is interested in and all that.

(I’m afraid I might be a little uncomfortable with the idea of right away running a game for people I’ve totally never met before :blush: )

The thing with my ongoing DitV game is this: it’s in German, at least so far :slight_smile: But because I assume everyone here is more interested in doing someting in English, let’s just get a new group together and have a one-shot or three? :smiley:

on a side note: I’m curious as to what you might mean with the “moral motivations of the protagonists”? Is it the religious “hands of god” stuff you are referring to? Cause if so, then yeah, you kinda need to be able to get comfortable with that, for Dogs ^^

Hello everyone. If you don’t mind another newbie, I’d like to join aswell.

I guess everybody meeting up and getting to know eachother would be a good idea :slight_smile:

Of course, since I’m late to the party, I won’t mind if there isn’t a spot left :wink:

If it helps, I have no problem running a game for people I’ve never met.

And I have little problem hosting it…

High five

Yeah let’s do that!

Let’s see, up till now we have:

• me (Alrik)
  • Auburney
  • Tam
  • GJsoft
  • Kaylossus

(EDIT: Oh dang, i missed everybody from page one of this thread… -H-, Bazhel, Siobhan, Simon… sorry. Are you still interested?)

I’d say that’s a decent size for a one shot (or three shots :wink:) session. What’s on the menu? As i said before i can offer PtA with an original series with setting and cast created collaboratively during the first session. But since I know that game already I’d actually be more interested in something new… like Shock or whatever.

Then, probably more important: which date works for you? Since I’m new to the city I don’t have a whole lot going on so far… means I’m quite flexible for the moment. Any weekday night except wednesday would be ok for me. Weekends in general too, although I have some plans next weekend, but that would be a too optimistic date anyways I guess :slight_smile:

Weekday nights are generally cool for me (with possible exceptions in individual cases), while next weekend is already full, but the weekend after that would work for me as well.

As for which game exactly, I don’t mind for starters, all of the current list (PtA, Shock, DitV, Fiasco…) would be fine for me - we’re gonna try them all out eventually anyway i guess, so… :slight_smile:

Next week is pretty crazy for me. Wednesday and thursday evening should work for me. Weekend’s also alright. Next week, monday evening and the rest of the week from wednesday should work.

Whyever wouldn’t we be?

If you’re planning a get-to-know you meetup, I’d be happy to run Action Castle or something similar. That’s always a fun icebreaker, and works for a larger group.

-H-, please don’t get me wrong, but it seemed to me that we were talking different games, you know indie games and such. Since my main motivation in this thread was to start a group in which I can delve into all sorts of the above mentioned “story games” I was addressing those who showed interest in these games…

Sorry, I might have gotten ahead of myself … So, let me start this over. I think a get-to-know meetup would be great for a start! I don’t really know any games that work with >6 people (if that many should show up) but this Action Castle sounds fun! And once we meet in person we can sort out which games to run in our future indie-playtesting-kitchen :wink:

I hope so!!! :laughing:

Alrik, did you see this thread? viewtopic.php?f=2&t=198

-H- is quite the indie gamer…

Awesome! Yeah I need to read that thread. :slight_smile: I was talking about Planescape, Dresden Files, Demon Hunters, Paranoia… -H- accidentally got into that…

However, as I said. Let’s please forget about my overexcited “hell-yeah-there-are-indie-gamers-in-Vienna-and-I-found-them” posts. I’d really like to meet everyone in person and have some fun gaming!