Adventurers League (DDHC): Descent Into Avernus @ Cafecafe 1070

Hello guys,

or as they say in the Nine Hells: “May the flesh burn from your flayed skin and your soul suffer endless torture” (literal translation).

As I recently brought up the topic here, I am planning to DM the major hardcover adventure for season 9 of the Adventurers League: Descent Into Avernus.

I waited quite a while for Wizards of the Coast to come up with actual campaign content like this, as I fancy (diabolical) horror as a genre in general. After I acquired the hardcover this week I am even more hyped due to the huge amount of supporting material just in the book itself (loads of background information, artwork, maps, …)!

But enough with the advertisement: Let’s do this!

This thread is created to organize a group of 4-6 players (excluding me, as the DM) who want to play this campaign during the 9th season of the Adventurers League.
Though it is possible in this format for characters to participate in other adventures and/or join in at higher levels than the current sessions suggested party level (drop-in/drop-out), I highly recommend that you play it with a character in suggested level or at least the corresponding tier, as it gives you the best experience by far regarding story- and character progression.

The adventure starts at level 1, so it’s a perfect start for a new season :wink:
Apart from your own ideas for you character, Descent Into Avernus also offers specific character backgrounds, or rather modifications to existing ones, which can be picked at character creation.
Also, and this is even more cool, the party will have a shared secret that affects them. I will talk about that before the game starts. Maybe we can also discuss it in this thread.

For the time and place, I want to DM this mainly at the regular AL meetup in the Cafe 1070 on Friday, 19:30, but am also open for additional sessions at other locations an times if the group wants that.
There is no final time for the first session yet, but I want to start the adventure in the next few weeks.

Although of course all players are welcome, I would be particularly happy about people who are into the setting and appreciate its special atmosphere and plan on sticking with the campaign.
Additionally, I noticed that Rayce_Kaiser and PatrickD already announced that they wanted to join, that’s why I’d give you two a fixed seat at the table if you are still interested.

So, who’s in?

I will totally be in, once I finish running the LMoP sessions >.>
Which may take another 5 sessions <.<
So unless there is a delay, I wont make it to the start Q.Q

I would love to join although I don’t have a character and it has been a long time since I have even played D&D but would be good to start whenever and could stick with the campaign regularly! If that’s alright let me know! Thanks!

I would love to play. I already have a cleric character in mind. No one else has to take the cleric

I’d also love to join. Haven’t thought of a character yet. But like the setting

That sounds intriguing, does this adventure take place literally in the nine hells ? :smiley: I’d love to join in !

My god, all the DMs are rushing for seats xD We may have to run do this on nights that are not AL then, if myself, @Samgiblett and @jboimler all wanna participate xD

Just an opportunity for others to try their hand at dming

Like mentioning es before I’m very interested

And it shows, that at heart we still are players :innocent:

This sounds great, I’d like to join if you’ll have me!

So it seems we are already full for the adventure. Wow, that was quick!

For fairness, I will pick the participants in the order they replied, unless you guys want to discuss things among each other. As long as there are at maximum 6 PCs in the end I am happy :slight_smile:
Maybe we also have some time tonight to talk (and hype each other up even more :stuck_out_tongue:), I will be there at about 19:00.

I will totally be in, once I finish running the LMoP sessions >.>
Which may take another 5 sessions <.<
So unless there is a delay, I wont make it to the start Q.Q

@Rayce_Kaiser: I think a short deplay won’t be a problem, because I probably can’t make it it to two or three of the next Fridays anyway :slight_smile:

EDIT:

That sounds intriguing, does this adventure take place literally in the nine hells ? :smiley: I’d love to join in !

@Dimitrios: Let’s say there is a high chance it does :wink:

1 Like

Dear All, I don’t know what happened, but that’s not our address. We’re at Burggasse 68 (Cafe “Zehnsiebzig”, not to be confused with the restaurant)

Happy adventuring!

My bad, I changed it.

Looks like I’m number 7 on the list, so first on the waiting list. Should I wish you guys fun or stick with the theme and damn you all to hell? :wink::japanese_ogre:

In case anyone drops out before you start, let me know so I can check back, if I didn’t plan too much for Fridays until then I should be able to jump in. Thanks.

Hello guys,

I was talking to @jboimler and @Rayce_Kaiser yesterday about the dates of our sessions and figured it might really be a good idea to pick a day apart from our AL Fridays.

Why? Because as it seems at least we three come to the Cafe 1070 on Friday to play D&D mainly as players. Secondly, @Rayce_Kaiser is currently mastering LMoP, which will take him a few more sessions on Friday to finish. As I said, the delay is not a problem, but considering the fact that we want to play ourselves and allegedly the AL Meetup needs DMs as well there might be a better alternative to this.

So what do you think about playing Descent Into Avernus not on our Fridays but on any other day in the week. I would prefer if we had one day on which we play regularly (once every two weeks?), but as we know life can always happen so we might also pick other days now and then.

@Rayce_Kaiser also offered to play at his place (if I understood him correctly), which would also be convenient I think :slight_smile:

@cwebb: It seems so, sorry about that. I don’t want to exclude anyone, but I think ‘first come, first serve’ is fairest for everyone here.
If a seat gets free again you will probably read it in this thread :wink:
P.S.: Damning someone to hell is always a valid choice :laughing:

I think im early enough in the list to be included (hopefully!) but I am good with any day of the week assuming it wouldn’t start until 7ish (work and what not).

So what do you think about playing Descent Into Avernus not on our Fridays but on any other day in the week. I would prefer if we had one day on which we play regularly (once every two weeks?), but as we know life can always happen so we might also pick other days now and then.

For me would be another day also fine, if possible even preferable, but it would have to be during the week. I’ve very little time on weekends.

To have that stated somewhere and avoid confusion, our players for the adventure are:

About the date and time of the sessions I personally prefer Tuesday and if we start at about 19:00 that’s okay with me. My weekends are also pretty occupied.

Let’s just get everyone’s opinion on that here :slight_smile:

19:00 on Tuesday should work just fine for me.