A New World

looks like that your doodle.com calendar poll is not working (I get the error message that the entry does not exist any more). I can for sure say that I have time on the 30.05. at around 1730 and 07.06.+08.06. at around 1900.

Thanks for sharing VonDoom… it is nice.

So, I want to thank again for the yesterday session. I am a little Rusty as a DM… but I am sure that in the next session we will have more fun. Speaking of next session… so, I will have to travel 2 weeks from the 22nd June to the 8th July. So, maybe we can meet one more time after that. I have free the next days:

12, 13 and 14th of June in the “night” so from 6:30 PM till lets say 11 PM

15th and 16th entire day. Then I dont have time till I come back… so, it is up to you guys (and Sabine).

Take care,

Hugo.

PS: Please, do not forget to share with me your impressions about the session. What do you like, what do you dont like, what would you like to see more, what do you like to see less. I am very open to suggestions and I am ok with critics… dont worry :slight_smile:

[quote]
looks like that your doodle.com calendar poll is not working (I get the error message that the entry does not exist any more). I can for sure say that I have time on the 30.05. at around 1730 and 07.06.+08.06. at around 1900.[/quote]

Sorry, I close that dooddle… I posted the dates I can make it. This end of the month and beginning of the next one turned out to be with a lot of work for me, sorry :confused:

and I am rusty as player, it evens out :wink: (and I am bad at RP)

thats perfect, I am going on vacation in this time frame too thus I wont be in vienna.

I should have time on those days with a chance of 99% :sunglasses:

We can make the next session in my appartment if you like, I have a big table to play on.

Thanks Hugo, I think it was a great first session! I have nothing to compare it to of course, but I enjoyed myself!

Thanks Edmund, loved your memoirs!

I’ve entered Hugo’s latest date suggestions into a doodle thingy:
doodle.com/kukz9tpw2eahfnxb

And a little remark: It would have been nice if anybody of the more experienced player would have told me the stupidity of my character design before we started and given me the chance for a do-over :wink:

And also, since I haven’t thought of thinking anything up beforehand, and since I wasn’t quick enough yesterday evening to improvise a story, I thought maybe I can give you a little story now:

So my story starts with my great-grandfather. He didn’t like spending his time searching for gold and gems, and therefore also didn’t find nor own a lot of those. He wasn’t a great smith either - and therefore wasn’t really a much respected member of our society.

He always was good with kids, and he didn’t mind getting asked lot’s of questions. I’ve always been a very curious child, and since most everybody else in town just liked to answer my questions with sentences like: “That’s simply the way it is” and “You don’t need to worry about that” this fact made us form a close bond.

He had lot’s of good answers to most of my questions, and when he couldn’t give me a satisfactory answer, he would sometimes leave town for a week or so, and come back with the most briliant explanations. He always told people he just went to the capital city <what was it called?>, but sometimes I borrowed his looking glass and climbed up on the mountaintop and most of the time it looked to me, as if his direction was slightly off. (He often went into the hills with me and explained me where which town was, and how far appart they all are).

About ten years ago, my great-grandfather passed away. About two years afterwards, I started to notice a hawk, that often looked like he was watching me. A week later, I set out to follow that hawk, day and night, and to my surprise 3 days into my chase deep in a forest this hawk flew down to the floor, and before my eyes, transformed into an elf!

He told me that he knew my great-grandfather, and since he usually payed him a visit at least once a year, he wanted to check up on him since it has been two years since his last visit. He found out the sad news about his death, and got curious about me, since he saw lots of my great-grandfather in me.

<… to be continued …>

it is a fantasy game there is nothing stupid and a dwarf druid is awesome. strange choices are more fun to play than the regular stuff.

but I would ask the DM nicely to allow you to revert the choice and take the animal companion instead of the domain :wink:

I kind of assumed that, with Tophthes helping, your character was fine as is. From a pure mechanics standpoint, dwarfs are pretty much one of the best choices for druids there is and they’re a class that can pretty much do anything, if you set your mind to it. A melee druid can do very well. But at level 1, no one is very effective at their chosen ‘profession’ just yet.

Though I personally wouldn’t recommend playing a caster to someone entirely new to D&D – something more straightforward without casting is easier to handle while you don’t have a solid grasp of the mechanics, like a Fighter, Barbarian or Rogue.

As for the next session, I can conceivably commit to any of those dates, provided the date is set with reasonable advance warning. If there are short-term changes, that might be different, but I don’t plan out my free time far ahead.

I’m really sorry, but Sabine does only like this one option of friday the 14th in the evening. (I’ve entered us in the doodle voting)

By the way, I already told this to Hugo, but my apartment is also available to play at. In a few weeks, my new couch will arrive and once it’s there I’ll pretty much have the ideal seating arrangements for a roleplaying session – basically, a U-shaped couch around a long table, with a separate office chair for the DM.

Nop… and I dont see in what extend that will improve his character.

Kratk. In RPG the most important is the role. Of course, there will be some situations where you should know how to combat… and that it is up to you. You have to read your spells and think in how to use them in combat… in every way, not only the descriptions. Anyway, the most important thing is to think as your character and let you go with the his personality.

There are not bad choices regarding a character… everything depends in how you role him. I mean, I dont know since when (probably 3rd edition) D&D became a game of stats… this thing give me +2 and this +3 and this is better for this, and this for that, etc… etc… I mean, of course you want to take advantage of the rules and selections… but two things: 1- the better stats you have for combat does not make you a better player. 2- you can have the most shitty stats… and still make a good game… good decisions. You will have to, then, focus in what you know how to do. The Plant domain is not only giving you some spells and some powers… it also give you a connection with it… roll that connection, in times of trouble, go to it… ask it questions… ti will, if everything goes find, answer you. There are things not written in the rules, but there are there. All the “fails” that you could have had in the first session are just because it was just first session ever… but not because your character.

So… in general, at least for me… I dont see a “stupidity in the design”… go with it… do the roll of your character…

By The way, then lets do it the 14th. Only Thropthes has to confirm

Hehe, guys, don’t get that worked up about it, I didn’t ask for any changes in my character. It just seems to me that it was a bad choice to make my druid a mele-fighter.

The 14 th should work, although I can’t be sure yet.

@Melee druid:
It’s not so bad. Take a look at your spell list and check what you want to take (prepare) for the next time. Something that helps you or the whole group in battle.
The spells we’ve picked last time were spells that can be used without too much reading, so you can get to know the game. And don’t forget about the druid’s ‘spontaneous casting’ where he can drop a prepared spell to summon animals that fight for him. It needs some preparing but it’s worth it.
Druids become stronger later on, so no worries.

dont worry about your that, it is not a bad choice and a druid will be able to change its shape into something more suitable for combat later on :slight_smile:

[quote=“Lord_Hugo”]
There are not bad choices regarding a character… everything depends in how you role him. I mean, I dont know since when (probably 3rd edition) D&D became a game of stats… this thing give me +2 and this +3 and this is better for this, and this for that, etc… etc… I mean, of course you want to take advantage of the rules and selections… [/quote]
I didnt meant the effectiveness actually, the animal companion offers just more fun :slight_smile: I also dislike the concept of “domains” on a druid because it turns the druid into another version of a cleric, it is obvious that the whole nature stuff is the druids “domain”, but this is another story.

[quote]
The 14th should work, although I can’t be sure yet. [/quote]

Good… please let us know as soon as possible.

Yeah, I guess you did not mean that… I was in general answering him about his doubts regarding… better stats as a “melee” character. In addition, you are maybe right, the domain thing puts the Druid into a more clerical status… but it was like that at the beginning (firsts editions of AD&D). In fact, the Druids were seeing as the clerics of the nature. In newer editions, they are making a clear differentiation… and I think is nice. Still, I think that the selection of a domain as a cleric, denotes a more “Wisdom” directed character… were even the gods of nature concede him spells (Miracles) due to his devotion to nature as he was a Cleric for them. He is in touch not only with the nature itself, but also with the Gods that are “in charge” of that.

However, it is true that a companion always add something haha. In this case he could get a cat! or something like that. Then we have: rat, cat, dog, horse… and well, the Ranger can get something in any of the both ends!

PS: By the way, I like these discussions hahahaha

well if our GM would permit me a pet, I would love to have an eagle :smiley: hehe

Or even better, a Pterosaur :smiling_imp: :mrgreen:

If you can train it and have enough time to do so, you can conceivably get any animal that can be caught/bought. It just doesn’t get any bonuses from your class unless it’s an Animal Companion, Special Mount or Familiar.

well, since apparently the guys who wrote the pathfinder rulebook thought you need charisma to train animals, I can’t train it (well). But most of you guys didn’t train your pets but just made them up.

Well… there is only one trained… at it belongs to the character who has 20 in Charisma. The rat-- “counts” more or less.

I am sure there are a couple of squirrels that would like to hang up with you in general!! they have seen you everytime!!.. but the animal companion of the Druids is… more much than that… MAYBE the guardians of Sach’a known a way to call an animal companion by renouncing to your domain… I am sure “mother nature” can make some arranges… for… a price… it seems like an adventure…

[quote=“Lord_Hugo”]
However, it is true that a companion always add something haha. In this case he could get a cat![/quote]
dwarf druid with a cat would be epic :slight_smile:

[quote=“Kratk”]well if our GM would permit me a pet, I would love to have an eagle :smiley: hehe

Or even better, a Pterosaur :smiling_imp: :mrgreen:

well, since apparently the guys who wrote the pathfinder rulebook thought you need charisma to train animals, I can’t train it (well). But most of you guys didn’t train your pets but just made them up.[/quote]
I could try to train it for you, it takes a few weeks with atleast few hours training per day “only”.

there is a way to get an “animal companion” within the core rulebook rules that scales with your character. you could find/buy an eagle, get the leadership feat, use the spell “awaken” on him and keep the eagle as a cohort but there is a long road to this point because this is a level 9 option. the “awaken” animal is weaker in combat as a regular animal companion but opens alot of RP possibilities cause awaken animals are intelligent, learn languages and are even able to take player classes. if you find someone that casts the spells for you then you could do this at level 7 already :sunglasses: