ゆうやけこやけ (Yuuyake Koyake)

ゆうやけこやけ (Yuuyake Koyake)

Translation: “Yuuyake (red-sunset-sky) Koyake (after-sunset-orange-sky)” = “Sunset Glow”; additionally this is the title of a popular nursery rhyme composed by Shin Kusakawa (1893-1948).
At 5pm or 6 pm in many places you could hear a 30 seconds catchy melody. You can usually listen it near schools, city halls and official buildings; they use pretty powerful speakers, if you are walking around Tokyo at 5pm is very probable that you will listen it. The song is used as a signal, it means that Japanese children finish school and can go home.

Style: Think of it as My Neighbour Totoro - The Roleplaying Game”.

Synopsis: Non-violent and heartwarming animal-spirits J-RPG.

Setting: A small peaceful rural village in Japan (preferable in the late 80s).

System: ゆうやけこやけ (diceless)

Dice needed: none

Playable Hengeyokai: Fox, raccoon dog, cat, dog, rabbit, bird, mouse, wolf, and fish.

omg, this sounds like My Little Pony made by Japanese people (so probably more along the lines of “my chibi hengeyokai”)

I have no idea what the game entails - but would play it in a heartbeat!

It has not really the same vibe like MLP,
it has far more in common with the studio Ghibli movies like “My Neighbour Totoro”.
“A Letter To Momo” would also be a powerful example - I would rather recommend the latter one for watching, since the first one is really targeted at children and this is also a very beautiful example, what this is all about.

The setting is (any) peaceful rural Japanese village (preferable in the late 80s). The players are local animal-shapechanger-spirits, who take care of the community. Maybe there are some old people who still aware of this, but still even for them, the henge-yokai are only stories their grandparents told them. So the players help the community from “out of the shadows”, if you so will. You can reveal yourself, but this generally causes people to freak out (ever encountered a speaking fox?), and scaring people is the last thing you wanna do.
(So you can do that, but you have to be very tactful :wink: )

OK, I’m in. :mrgreen:

Haven’t seen those movies (yet), but this:

makes it sound like an inversion of Vampire the Masquerade’s core concept (instead of preying upon them from the shadows, you try to do good from there) :smiley:

Any chance this might gonna be more than just a one-shot?
I think it might be worth reading up a bit on the “mythical styles” associated with the various animal spirits (the movies might have a lot to offer on that too), and for getting into the characters and the setting and all… maybe a couple sessions would be nice, thinking like 3 or so? :slight_smile:

Probably not, the game is really designed for one-shots.

Most of Japanese RPGs are focused on One-Shots or Episodic Play (with the exception of Ryuutama).

I thought about that and I think the best Western example with a similar feel would be a “Fairy Tale”.

Thanks for playing

Happy Christmas Everyone :slight_smile:

Thanks for running it - I certainly enjoyed it.
Happy holidays!

Very fun game! Thanks Leo!

Happy holidays everyone!

This was heartwarmingly fun, thanks for running it! :slight_smile:

I plan to re-run this on Friday December the 22nd at V.A.L.U.E.,
and I am looking for 4-5 players, who would be interested in playing this

Playable Hengeyokai: Fox, raccoon dog, cat, dog, rabbit, bird, mouse, wolf, and fish.

2 Likes

Looks fun but unfortunately I am planning to run a session that Friday, maybe in the future :smile:

Heya. I am def intriqued on joining aswell. I grew up with JRPGs along with it’s vibe. Alongside me being inside that japanese cultural export sphere with anime, high effort cosplaying and whatnot ^^

1 Like

I’d really love to try this sometime, but I’m committed to Alaadu’s table for a few weeks. These mythic Norse criminals won’t catch themselves…

1 Like

I would like to join for the 22nd if you still have spots.

1 Like

I’d be happy to join

1 Like

@Magia_Ignis @Unsniped @Xerdor

hey sorry got only 3 players - will try again later :slight_smile:

1 Like