Yesterday's game

Short message to my players from yesterday:

I hope you guys enjoyed the game. I know that for most of you it was your first introduction to D&D and even pen and paper in general. I hope I managed do do justice to this awesome hobby…
Certainly if you had even half as much fun as I did, you must be hooked by now!

So welcome to the hobby and I hope to see you around the table again soon!

1 Like

Could we do a campaign at some point? Would love to do a “proper” game (i.e. with our own characters), perhaps on a different night than game night, in case people want some diversity on thursdays…

Campaigns are awfully tricky in this group because of the difficulty of getting the exact same group of people together repeatedly while also making sure there are other games for anybody not involved in the campaign. Previous attempts have had mixed results.

Heck, even finishing up a two-parter can be a challenge. We just completed a game we started two years ago …

That said, I’d be up for another attempt, as either player or DM. I’ve had a campaign idea on the back burner for a while which attempts to solve the varying party composition issue; maybe it’s time to give it a shot.

Glad everyone had a good time last might!

The question came up yesterday…
We had campaigns running in the past so it shouldn’t be too difficult.
From an organizational point of view, a campaign often assume that the same core group of characters are present which can be tricky with our open table organization…
But we can hand wave that away… Alternatively, we could run games from the Adventurer’s league are these are by design designed about a rotating set of characters

First of all, thanks a lot for the game Simon! I definitely hooked on (even though my character died) and would be happy to continue!

Maybe a possible solution could be leading a main plot (on such occasions, where only the “core” characters are present) and secondary plots (for open table adventures, which directly doesn’t affect the main plot; but provides the DM and the players to try out new ideas/play with the characters without waiting too long for a perfect "main plot occasion). What do you think?

By the way, this topic might be also interesting for the whole community, how did they manage(d) it.

Sadly, we didn’t really. Most of the campaigns we tried fizzled at some point. Simon probably did the bestt with a Pendragon game, which was lots of fun. Wouldn’t mind seeing that one return …

The campaigns that really took off spun off from the Thursday games. There are Pathfinder and Alternity games which have been running successfully for quite some time, for example. For a traditional campaign, that might be the simplest way to go.

But that doesn’t mean we can’t try on Thursdays. I’ve been looking at an episodic approach (and have a D&D game in mind if there’s any interest), but I’m sure others will come up with even better solutions.

The Bond game, incidentally, is also intended to allow for episodic, campaign-ish play. Let’s see what happens.

1 Like

Don’t forget Alrik’s famous Lady Blackbird game! :slight_smile:

Well, first of all: I more than enjoyed the D&D game last thursday and yes: You got me totally hooked. Despite our impossibly bad luck it was a blast! :smiley:

I think I’m up for either solution. Off-thursday regular campaign, daring thursday-campaign or episodic approach, but I guess a try for the thursday would be the easiest way to go for now.

Ok… Well, let’s see about continuing last time’s adventure one of these days, possibly with new characters for the people who want to make their own… I created a topic on this subject here.

Ha! What a coincidence that the new Matt Coleville video actually mentions this kind of problem (among other reasons). I really like the idea and I think it would suit our situation quite well! We have the forum ready for communication between games and the DM’s could easily take turns.

Here is the link:

TL;DW: West Marches type of game might a solution for us.

1 Like

Way ahead of you. :slight_smile:

I’ve had something similar on the back burner for some time. I probably wouldn’t want to run it for 5th ed., but if anybody wants to play an older edition …

Sweet!

Well if the rules are easily accessible, count me in :wink: (I guess everything is on the DM’s guild anyways…)

If you go ahead with this @H, let me know. I’d be keen to play, even if it is an older version, the more rules to learn the more fun right?