Thursday, Jan. 17, 2019: The Greatest Campaign Ever in Just One Evening

Oo, hyperbole!

But yeah, that really is what we’re going to try to do this Thursday.

If you ask about the greatest RPG campaign ever published, one title tends to get mentioned more than any other: Masks of Nyarlathotep for Call of Cthulhu. It’s an epic. I ran it a while back, and it took around two and a half years of regular play to complete.

Even for a great campaign, that’s a bit long, isn’t it? So on Thursday, we’re going to attempt to get through the whole thing in just one evening.

No cutting corners. No pre-generated characters. No abridged version.

No, it’s not going to work.

But it might be a fun experiment. I once saw a delightful theater performance of The Complete Star Wars Trilogy in 30 Minutes. If that’s possible, why not Masks in one evening?

Nah, it really isn’t going to work. But if you’re interested in giving it a shot, there are two seats at the table still open.

No experience necessary. Pencils, paper, percentile dice if you have them.

See you on Thursday!

In.

Yup. In.

I’m in, too!

Sounds fun. I’ll be there.

All righty. Five players is a bit more than I had in mind, but it’s not like this is based on anybody’s idea of a sane way to run a campaign anyway. Let’s do this!

I’ll be there at 6:30. If you want to start thinking about characters: New York, January, 1925. Pretty much anything goes, but a logical reason to involve oneself with an investigation/adventure would be preferable.

See you tonight!

Really looking forward to this! I’ll be there at 7 p.m.

Will you have a spot for 1 more? Im not sure if I would be able to come today due to work, but I really want to.

I’m not entirely sure I can make it today. Was really looking forward to it. Stupid work😑

Loath though I am to turn anybody away, if more people show up tonight, I think we’d need a second table.

I’m late, will be there only around 19:30-ish.

That was fun! So, are we going to continue this? Maybe next week?

1 Like

And by the way we were not even close to finishing that campaign in one night :stuck_out_tongue:

I really wonder how you thought that could be done. :smile:

To be fair, it was you who thought it could be done. I told you it wasn’t going to work … :b

Besides, who says we didn’t succeed? Just because we didn’t reach an optimal conclusion doesn’t mean it isn’t an ending. The characters go home, lick their wounds, recuperate, the world ends … (oops, spoilers!)

But seriously, yeah, this whole thing was a tad optimistic. Apologies. But if people only attempted things that were actually possible, the world would be a far less interesting place, wouldn’t it?

Anyway, if you want to continue this, I’m certainly game. See you this Thursday for …

The Greatest Campaign Ever in Just One Two Evenings!

No it was great, I love that you did attempt that. I was just thinking a bit about how that could be achieved at all. Maybe a bit less taxing system that let’s characters succeed for a change perhaps… Scene jumping, automatic clue unlocking seems a bit dull.

Next up: Beyond the Mountains of Madness?

Sorry for the end of the evening though.

Sorry? Why sorry?

Looks like we won’t all be able to make it today, so let’s postpone this. Any alternate plans for tonight?

If there are no other plans, I could try to run a Dread game. I’d just have to pick up my notes from home.

Too bad I can’t make it - Dread is an astonishingly fun system, I ran a Halloween one-shot with it last year. Have fun! :grinning:

I’ll be there, but have no alternative to offer.

Alright, then Dread it probably is :slight_smile:
I’ll be there at around 7