"The Lamenting Lighthouse" - a D&D 5E one-shot playtest (Spielbar, Tursday 4th of July, 19:00)

Sry for dissapearing so quickly but gotta be up early tomorrow. Waiting for the bim i got some time. Great adventure overall. I liked the pacing. To me it never felt slow or rushed. If it is concepted for 4 hours i dont think it would be easy to do that though (especially if your group is as rp heavy as we were). As we mentioned i think our group was more powerful and strangely well set up for this Adventure. Certainly more powerful than your average group. I liked the fights and everything had something unique about it. Personally i don’t like fighting invisible stuff and if out group didn’t have faery fire we might have had a bigger problem with those things. What i especially like is that the fights “scale” in difficulty. And try to lure players into blowing through their stuff faster than they might want to. What i think might be an elegant solution to scaling could be to give a group that might be weaker a bit of a longer timeframe so they feel like they have room for at least a short rest. ( let the storm approach from a different direction so the captain can evade it longer)
If you want to include a monetary reward for players let the captain be relative to the elven keeper and promise the party a reward if they can not only fiy the light but also find out what happened.
Conclusion:LOVED IT thx for letting me play. Hopefully we can do that again

1 Like

I dunno how to mark something as a spoiler on my phone😰 sry thx darthbinks for telling me

Thank you! :grin:

You bring up some excellent points, I can definitely make good use of all that you mentioned to improve things further!

To everyone: thank you all for playing and being “test bunnies”! ^^ I had a lot of fun, you really engaged well with the adventure and the shenannigans and the group dynamics were great as well - it is always a pleasure to DM for a group like you, the adventure basically runs itself under such conditions :grin: As mentioned, I would be happy about any and all feedback that you might have, just write it here in the thread (ideally with spoiler tags) or PM me! :slightly_smiling_face:

was a lot of fun thanks @sheva for dming and everybody else for playing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the game indeed, it was a lot of fun! I will compile my feedback as soon as I can and send it to you, either here or via Discord.

1 Like

Also, please let me know how you would like to be listed as playtesters:

1. first name only (I have those, but it would be my least preferred option because it looks weird ^^)
  2. first and last names (this is what I usually do, but I don’t have your last names ^^)
  3. pseudonym (I have done that before, and unless I hear from you using your forum alias will be the default)
  4. no listing (no problem, of course - please let me know if this is your preferred option)

Thank you all again!

1 Like

However the masses decide. I dont mind either way. Just lemme know if you need mylast name

It’s an individual choice, everyone can decide how they like :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks @SheVa for running your module & thanks everyone else for playing such interresting characters, I had a blast :smiley:

so as promised here is my 'bundle of thoughts’
I post them here in spoilers, so that others can add & improve on that,
because this is of course very subjective and everyone has a, at least slighty, different playstyle.

Theme/Mood

1. I liked the setting. It really fits the Ghost of Saltmarsh vibe.
    We all thought, that the psychic damage, that was continously popping up, had been an haunting enviromental effect … tuned out it had been very stealthy Allips. The more i thought about the Allips after the game, the more I liked them, so I would not change that.

2. The 2 “wraith-like” enemies (lets call them wraith-fighter & wraith-mage) were fun too, but maybe tie them more into the story/settting. Were the brought with the ship, that crashed into the lighthouse/bridge? Were they here before? Maybe give them more fluff … or more … e.g. make the pirate wraiths, who returned to the island to look for their old treasure, who they hid centuries ago (in the cave of the sea-hags for instance) … or two brothers or former loved-ones, who had killed each other for tragic reasons … or both^^ … or maybe the evil that came with the ship, turned and twisted 2 of the sea-hags from the coven into wraith-mage and wraith-fighter, because the coven tried to experiment with forces, that were not ment to be known by mortals^^ (if you do that, you should give wraith-mage & wraith-fighter a slighty different appearance, that hints on their sea-hag ancestry).

Encounters

1. I liked all the encounters. Bonus points, that they, with the exception of the ‘fireballed ghasts’ on seagull island, were in small areas, often in difficult terrain.

2. Opposed to Babybonkers I really liked the invisibility of the enemies. It gave everything a more spooky vibe … and in a 6th level party someone has an ability or an idea to counteract that.
    What you could do is, that you hide a damaged ‘lantern of revealing’ (with only 1 use? or that the lantern is running out and only will last for 1 more h) somewhere in the setting. Maybe as a bonus if they could solve a riddle somewhere (hidden on seagull island perhaps? or in a hidden cellar?).
    I’m not familiar with AL … I just heard that giving out treasure is problematic … so maybe limit its power and/or duration.

Hints/Handouts

1. I liked the written notes. They were great.

2. Was there a hint on one of the notes, other then succeding on a high Perception test at the beginning to notice the sea caves?. We found a note, that stated that the item we searched for dropped into the water.
    Maybe add something somewhere, that they are legends about a caves beneath the island?
    or gooing for a more cthuthulish-vibe, that one of the lighthousekeepres keeps having vivid nightmares, about non-euclidean caves beneath the sea (that could be because the sea-hag coven was casting nightmare on him/her, with its coven-power … before 2 coven-members were killed).

Length/Timing

1. I agree that for a 4h module it is a little too long. Although we were a lot of players … with a 4 player group this module should go much faster. Also other players … such as my regular RPG group … would have went for the seacaves directly at the beginning … I guess that would also shorten the adventure.
    As i really, really liked all the parts of the 2 islands, I really, really would not shorten that.^^

2. That being said, what you could do is shorten the intro.
    e.g. That you start in medias res, when the party wakes up, beacuse the ship is shaking and the strom is dangerously close to the ship.

:skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

btw will you post a link to dmsguild once you’ve released it on there?

Oh, shoot! That would have been a thing to do, wouldn’t it?

Sorry about that! Here is the link:

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/282025/The-Lamenting-Lighthouse?term=lamenting

It has already gathered some modest attention, outselling my previous two adventures combined by a large margin, and - even better! - gotten me my first two reviews, from which I extracted these two gems:

"This adventure is a critical hit on almost every single aspect of adventure writing." - Jason B. (Verified Purchaser)

"The Lamenting Lighthouse is nothing less than an amazing piece. With concepts and homages to The Princess Bride, H.P. Lovecraft, Stephen King , and even Pirates of the Caribbean, I absolutely love what Sven has created." - Cameron Day from Comics, Clerics, & Controllers

Thank you again, one and all - you all helped me greatly in making this adventure as good as I could make it! :smiley:

4 Likes

Grats man! Deserved!

awesome :skull_and_crossbones:

Good job and well done!

Congratulations!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.