The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Hey,
Anyone interested in watching it on the weekend?
One option would be Haydn Kino, cause according to the homepage they have HFR and 3D

I went to see it at the weekend with the Girlfriend. Brilliant film, I was really impressed. First time I’ve seen this much-lauded HFR too. Very nice! (at the Hadyn btw)

Yeah, I must agree with Neil. That was the most awesome dragon I’ve had the pleasure to see.

Very true. Awesome dragon.

What I did like the most, though, was Gandalf’s trip to Dol Guldur and his fight against Sauron. I didn’t expect that to happen and I didn’t expect to actually see him.
Although it raises some questions it’s a cool movie.

Wow, was I the only one who was less than impressed with this movie?!

I thought it was overly long, stuffed with too much unnecessary additions, and too much CGI coupled with too little character development…

The elves bored me to tears, the Laketown stuff seemed rather whatever, and yeah, while the dragon was visually pretty awesome indeed… as a whole this second installment was almost as much of a waste of time as the first one was. (But only almost, I found the first part worse)

Oh yeah, and the action sequences struck me as needlessly dragged-out CGI fests, with no real threats to the protagonists, or anything at stake really… (making it all kinda meaningless at the end of the day)

There are some nice bits in both of the movies (landscapes, some(!) of the dialogue, the general feeling of “being back to Middle Earth”…), but all of those would still allow for the whole thing to be told in one, max two, movie(s) instead.

Point in case: I still can’t tell the dwarves apart, don’t know their names, personalities or purpose, apart from like three or four of them… and this after ~5,5 h of movies!

Also, simply too little Hobbit screentime/spotlight, for a movie called “the Hobbit” :stuck_out_tongue:

… this from someone who positively loved the LotR trilogy :wink:

(/vocal minority mode off) :mrgreen:

No, you’re not the only one. I’m pretty much bugged by the same things.
As for the dragon: I have to say that although I did like it CGI-wise (and its voice of course) the scenes did feel a little long (especially the last ~20 mins).

I’ve already mentioned that I really liked Gandalf’s part that’s not in the books - and tbh - during the movie I did hope that we’d see more of that! :confused:

Nevertheless I’m going to watch the third one. Not only but also because I’m curious as to how it’s going to fill the gap between The Hobbit and LotR.

hehe, good to know I’m not alone in this resentment! :wink:

And of course I’m gonna watch the 3rd one too! How else could I rant about it afterwards?! :smiley:

the added-in Gandalf stuff was okay i felt, although it meddles with the continuity and the backstory quite hard, truth be told.

The single most interesting character in the entire 2nd movie? I kindly refer you to: theblogthattimeforgot.blogspot.c … harad.html
(it’s even RPG-related! :wink: )

Totally!
But I liked that Sauron overpowered Gandalf. Just because it had an ‘inkling’ of danger to it.

Interesting read btw!
This is also interesting/funny:
How it should have ended

But, but … then the producers wouldn’t make as much money! And you’d get a complete story! You wouldn’t want that, would you?

No, you’re right, we totally couldn’t have that, now could we? I mean, where’d we get to if that became a trend… :mrgreen: