SPOILERS Dragons of Stormwreck Isle Starter Module 2022 Thoughts & Tips

I am currently halfway through a campaign of DoSI (about to start 2nd quest before the finale) and having a pretty good time, but I also want to hear some experiences of past players or DMs about the campaign.

Pros: The book is nicely illustrated, condensed basic rules and character pre-gens make a more manageable experience for first-timers

Fairly balanced combat that feels dangerous at all times.

Cons: The hook is VERY RP dependent on the pre-gen backstories, otherwise there is little to care about for the average player, book encourages you to start high-concept conversations about war, cycles of violence and other philosophical themes between the NPCs and PCs. I can understand that they did not want to make an obvious villain for the main characters to rail against, but for newer players and DMs it gets confusing quick as there is not enough to grab onto and requires too much collaborative storytelling to fill in the blanks in a setting neither is likely very familiar with.

NPC descriptions are a couple of lines. Requires heavy prep work for the DM. The most egregious offender is Runara, a key figure in the whole Adventure. The social puzzle for the criminal background character is fun, but also exceptionally hard to prep for.

Game should come with a PDF that lets you print out the maps they include in the book

Conc. All in all, we’re not having a bad time per se but I feel like this adventure’s “starter” kit is more geared towards beginner players, not beginner DMs. Anybody felt a similar way?

I’d say this is a fairly common issue found in all kinds of starter sets in all kinds of RPGs. Good on you for recognizing it and doing what you can to make it work.

2 Likes

I feel like this adventure’s “starter” kit is more geared towards beginner players, not beginner DMs

From what I read in other reviews its the kit that is best geared towards new DMs, because the lore on it is very light, the NPCs, while not super fleshed out aren’t too difficult to handle and all of the chapters, including the travel time scenes are well balanced.

I ran this adventure as a DM with 0 experience (and 0 experience players). My players liked it, although they said they felt that some of the goals of the NPCs are a bit lofty. But beyond that my players did not have any issues with the DOSI.

book encourages you to start high-concept conversations about war, cycles of violence and other philosophical themes between the NPCs and PCs

Does it? I recall lore dumping a little bit, but I don’t remember this being an issue for us. I did not have any issues running the module really, granted I watched Bob’s Worldbuilder about recommended changes before I ran it, that helped me a lot.

1 Like