Some links for people specifically looking for german speaking groups!

Hello!

Since there is an influx on posts recently about people looking specifically for german speaking groups I thought that we could point them towards the right directions, since this forum is primarily for the international community or for people who prefer playing in english (like me :P) Of course you guys are always welcome but in case you won’t have a lot of success here I thought this might be a good idea.

Maybe we could even pin a post like this so it is easy to find for people that stumble upon our Forum since it is the first google result for most searches that have to do with vienna and rpgs.

Wiener Rollenspieler:

This is a very active facebook group with a big member pool and people are always posting about looking for games / player etc. It is probably the best place to find german speaking groups here.

German Speaking Adventurers League on Roll20 https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/74750/dnd-5e-adventurers-league-season-1-deutsch

If you want 5E games that you can hop in when you have time than adventurers league is the place to be! You can join when a game is up and your character progresses with every session forward. This is only for DnD 5E though.

Planet-Harry:

Planet Harry has a newsletter where people can post their “Looking for Group” and “Looking for Players” in! Just message their Facebook page via PM and give them your details and ask to be included in the next newsletter!

Pen-Paper Forum: www.pen-paper.at

The pen-paper forum has seen more active games but posts are still being made and people still have conversations there. It is suffering from the pandemic like many similar sites. I still think making an account and a post there can’t hurt :slight_smile:

athenaes siegel they are a german speaking viennese rpg club

Die Festung: https://www.diefestung.com

Die Festung is primarily a forum for people into tabletop games like Warhammer, X-Wing and similar games but they also have a Roleplaying board there. (Rollenspiele - Die Festung) I got to know the community through playing X-Wing. The forum is active and well visited so I am sure one can find people there as well!

Reddit www.reddit.com/r/wien www.reddit.com/r/lfg www.reddit.com/r/LFG_Europe/

I have seen people sucessfully look for players on reddit in reddit.com/r/wien before! I think a lot of people that are into the hobby also use reddit since it is a great way to communicate with all kinds of folks around the world and share stories and experiences playing RPGs so the chance is very high that you will be successful finding players or a group there!

You can also try creating a post in reddit.com/r/lfg This sub is more visited by americans but if you mark your post as german (and are looking to play online) I am sure you can find people from Austria and Germany easily there as well. I personally run an online Call of Cthulhu game for over 2 years now that I advertised there and ended up with 1 player from Austria, 1 player from Germany, 1 player from Finnland and 1 American player.

Other Links:

Resource for rules, adventures and such on german

German-speaking online Forum-play / Bar-group community

Austrian RPG community

6 Likes

Great idea :+1:

you could also write a PM to PLANT HARRY
he puts your “Looking For Group” in his next news letter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There is also a German Adventurers League on Roll20

I’ve played with them once and they seemed open to new players.

Also D3 is a good resource for rules, adventures and such

1 Like

Thank for the suggestions! I will add them to the original post when I have access to my pc later! Who do we need to @ to ask if the post could be pinned? :thinking:

Pinned this thread. Great job :+1:

Great Post! A regular question I got from friends from Lower Austria, wherther I know about any forums where they could find players/GM-s/games also in the coutryside.
Maybe these links will help them out as well.

Alright I added all the links from the replies as well. I will try to keep this post up 2 date if more suggestions come in. If you know people looking for german speaking groups and/or see a post looking for german speaking folks you can give them the link to this threat now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope it’s still ok to post suggestions and I’m not reviving a corpse here (though since it’s pinned anyway, at least my reply won’t be the thing that puts it at the top)

Since you’ve got r/LFG on the list, may I also add r/LFG_Europe - it’s like LFG, but specifically for (online) groups located in Europe, so there might be a better chance to find German speaking groups (and just groups in our time zone, in general).

2 Likes

Thanks for the Suggestion Rori! I’ll add it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found the website of Paradice Board Game Bar today and got sucked into a bit of a rabbit hole:

they seem to be running weekly Intro Sessions for 5e in German. Initially I saw that it looked like a commercialized space but the situation is a bit complex:

Paradice is run by a Verein governed and defined by Austrian Federal Law. Vereine are not permitted to be primarily focused on making profits, but they are allowed to make some money. The primary aim is to promote Board Gaming and such.

Paradice Verein Statuten/Bylaws https://static1.squarespace.com/static/6027f00a928f2b0035090476/t/60a8ddfc028eea0f43aeb180/1621679613312/Statuten_Paradice.pdf

However, the location itself is owned by Yppenplatz 4 GmbH which is wholly owned by Ottakringer Betriebe- und DienstleistungsgmbH which is wholly owned by Ottakringer Brauerei GmbH which is wholly owned by Ottakringer Getränke AG.

What kind of Agreement Paradice and Yppenplatz 4 GmbH have is not public, but If I had to wager a guess, the Yppenplatz 4 GmbH probably handles food and drink while the Verein does their board game thingies or they have some profit share thing going on.

Ottakringer probably derives some additional brand equity/value by supporting local initiatives (especially at a place as visible as Yppenplatz), so it could be possible they are not that focussed on turning excess profit. The prices are however standard fare for bars in vienna, unlike other Vereine that charge much closer to purchasing price or just let people bring their own food&drink, which would support my Hypothesis that the bar&restaurant part is handled on Ottakringer side.

As far as Ottakringer goes, they’re not owned by Heineken/Brauunion so they’re decent. Unless you think that commercialized trade and production of alcohol is unethical in the first place, then you probably want to avoid the place.

All in all, while I don’t think this is the ideal place for RPG gamers to hang out regularly, as the table charge p.P. is a mandatory 5€ (including access to board games), which is not present at Sägewerk and RPG Gamers have bring their own games anyway (1DM+4P=25€), but just for an intro to regular german groups this seems like a fine way to go. Game masters seem to be Verein Volunteers which get free access to the Restaurant and get to eat for free when they are “on the clock”.

Add it to the list if you think it’s appropriate, just wanted to share what I found

EDIT:

I just saw they not only do events at Yppenplatz, but also https://www.yellayella.at/

Which is a wholly non-commercial enterprise.

1 Like

added two:

German-speaking online Forum-play / Bar-group community

and:

Austrian RPG community