Open De Profundis-esque Game @ Wherever You're Hunkering Down

Needless to say, gaming probably isn’t high on anybody’s list of priorities these days. But sometimes a light distraction can be a good thing in times like these, so I’d like to run a game inspired by De Profundis for anybody interested.

As S_journ already mentioned elsewhere, there are plenty of nifty ways to get in a game online, but they typically involve some sacrifices. De Profundis, on the other hand, is designed explicitly for correspondence play. Players take on the roles of investigators, scientists, journalists, mystics, rogues or anything else you might come up with, communicating in character via letter, postcard, telegram, etc. (which we’ll be simulating via email) as Lovecraftian plots unfold. Players can play as much or as little as they wish, with messages as simple or elaborate as they choose, with no need for everybody to be online at the same time.

The only problem is that it’s not a game. It’s simply an amusing creative writing exercise. I’d therefore like to evolve the concept a bit, pushing it more into game territory and adding an overarching metaplot. In order to do so, I’d like to gauge interest to see roughly how many people to plan for.

No downloads required. We’ll be playing either via this forum or via email.
No long-term obligation. If somebody drops out, that will simply be reflected in the game.
No prior rules knowledge required.
No maximum number of players.
Historical mystery/horror theme. (Non-Lovecraftian.)
There may even be special guest stars.

If you might be interested in joining, please post a quick reply in this thread.

In the meantime, stay safe, and be well!

2 Likes

Consider me curious

There may even be special guest stars.

you got @Neil to join in? and maybe @gridshadow ? couple more names i haven’t seen in a while on here come to mind too

I might be interested, but not to sure how well i can deal with the type of setting, but the drop in type of play makes this a non problem i guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would be interested

I’d be interested as well.

@Tersidian please don’t spread fake news. @Neil does not exist.

1 Like

As if anybody still believes in @Neil or @gridshadow. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

i believe in them both, because Tiamat told me too! :stuck_out_tongue:

I wish mine to get via singing telegram

Like @Tersidian ? (at least I haven’t see you in a while personally)

So I can invite all the quarantened people around the world?

Sounds interesting. Count me in.

Might be interested, probs am interested

I won’t be naming any names … but if you’ve ever wanted to play with our site’s legendary founder, this might just be the game for you.

And if you miss gridshadow, signing up might not be a bad idea, either.

But no spoilers! :shushing_face:

Definitely interested

I’m interested, but there seem to be a ton of people already in, so if it’s overfull, don’t worry about me.

Hey, even @Siobhan appeared (long time no see)!

Now I’m even more curious, this starts to sound like a 9th Anniversary of RPG Vienna, gathering a lot of old and new fellows to interact with each other.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Sorry, been a bit busier than expected. I’d like to kick this off by Monday.

In the meantime, please go ahead and start thinking about characters. We’ll presumably be playing in the 1920s, and any character with a certain amount of curiosity would be appropriate. Scientists, journalists, explorers … librarians, detectives … or just ordinary everyday folks.

More later. Be well, everybody.

2 Likes

Everything okay?

Here for another check in. Is this game no longer happening? It is okay if it isn’t…just would like some sort of confirmation for my impatient young self