Newbie here :)

Hi all, I’m Kira, new to DnD, but love rpg genre (i did a few games of Dungeon World and Dread, both as dm and character). I’d like to get into DnD, one shots first, probably, to learn the mechnics properly. I’m curious, which races and classes are the most widespread in the community? Maybe I could bring some diversity in, can’t decide, what to be ':smiley:

9 Likes

when it comes to playing dnd feel free to play whatever seems fun and epic to you!

There will be plenty of opportunities for you to try out any concept you think of :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Kira, wellcome to the community! Look for V.A.L.U.E. games on the forum (2x on Fridays in WoW keepers and die Requisite and 1x on Saturdays on Sägewerk wien). All those are 1-shots mostly and newbie-friendly.

Have fun!

1 Like

Welcome welcome to our lovely community :wave: :blush: :heart:

Imho there isn’t really something that is too widespread. If you would like to learn more about the different subclasses and which ones are strong and which ones more niche, I recommend the Dungeon Dudes on YT. In the same style but for races/ lineages, DnD Shorts, also on YT, has a great series about ‘Underrated Races’ (unfort no playlist).

1 Like

Welcome to our community :slight_smile: If you want to play, check out our VALUE games on friday and saturday - everyone is free to join!

1 Like

thanks a lot!

Can I also do exotic races or better stick to the main 9?

Anything out of a WOTC published book is fine for VALUE.

If you want a heatmap of what are the popular class/race choices of D&D Beyond it looks like this - lots of class/race options that noone is going after.

3 Likes

Very interesting chart. The biggest take away is that no one apparently plays artificers or blood boys. Also the very niche races are, well very niche and rarely picked. Theres only a few outliers as far as I can tell.

I have now become curious what a kenku barbarian looks like… :thinking: (inb4 everyone now has the same idea as me) Maybe an evil kenku who taunts his victims by repeating their cries for mercy back to them as he slaughters them :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Why are there so few firbolg druids!? I feel like druid would be the default option for a firbolg…

This is the official flavor text of firbolgs:

Distant cousins of giants, the first firbolgs wandered the primeval forests of the multiverse, and the magic of those forests entwined itself with the firbolgs’ souls. Centuries later, that magic still thrums inside a firbolg, even one who has never lived under the boughs of a great forest.

A firbolg’s magic is an obscuring sort, which allowed their ancestors to pass through a forest without disturbing it. So deep is the connection between a firbolg and the wild places of the world that they can communicate with flora and fauna.

1 Like

others more active in the AL scene have chimed in, but my general piece of advice is:

when in doubt - align with the DM, cant go wrong there!

1 Like