Murder mystery RPG

So, I had fallen in love with the website recently, you people here are the best. So I decided to try arranging my own meetup, in a slightly unusual genre of RPGs - murder mystery ones. I have made a total of 4 meetups back in 2017, and they were all successful with the local crowd, so I thought - might as well try here, its after all a lot of fun to GM them and a lot of fun to play.
But I would first like to know several factors from the veterans of the site and the players.

1. How many people are actually interested to come? For a good game we need at least 5 players. And on which day it will be possible and convinient for you, cause Thurthday and Friday are already occupied.
  2. Should you book places in Spielbar in advance? I just have no idea, maybe some of the DMs will help me with that.
  3. What are your thoughts and maybe wishes for the whole ordeal. One session usually takes around 3-4 hours providing the mystery is on par. This time ill be using my old one, that was quite successful and precreated characters.

So I’ll now proceed to explain the rules and gameplay.
Basically 45 minutes would take to discuss the setting, have the preliminary roleplay and investigation, basically murder has not yet happened,
After the murder around 45 minutes would be taken to investigate, to find all the necessary clues throughout the place. Basically like in DnD by interracting with stuff but without dice rolls on success.
After that you will have a discussion, where you will have to interpret all the clues and uncover the villian of the story, who will be one of you, with whom I’ll contact beforehand, the villian will in turn try to spur your converstation in the wrong direction, by wrongfully interpreting the clues. With a sprinkle of Roleplaying you will get a suspensful atmosphere where you would not know who is the perpetrator. The GM will also assume the role of one of the characters, and might be the villian all along! Though do not assume that its always that easy. The only thing that is advised to be brought are pens/pencils and some paper sheets for your observations. Character biographies and specific knowledge will be given at start.

So I would like to read your oppinions, and maybe suggestions. I know that it would be a lot of fun if people will actually gather.

Hi @Resil,

your murder RPG sounds great! I think, it would be fitting on a Thursday night game (usually on Thursdays we play different games/settings, while Friday night is booked to DnD5E/AL), although you can of course run your games on other days as well (depending on the interest, you might have to whip up a vote or a doodle about that).
On Thursday, we automatically have a table bookied in Spielbar for us, on other days you might need to book (especially for 6+ persons)

About the final point - I suggest, you should contact your “murderer” right before the start of the game. Once I played a game of “werewolf” (murder mystery game like this), where certain players formed an alliance before the game and didn’t let anybody to be accused among them - even if the killer was on of them. This might have been fun for a few of them, but such strategy totally killed the game for the others, as these players blocked every decisions or acts. Although such strategy probably won’t happen here, I wish to avoid ruining the game for the majority of people.

1 Like

Thank you for the response! I would just like to clarify some things.
Unlike werevoles this game focuses much more on the mysterious death of the individual, and the subsequent mystery, and detective elements. There is the only murderer, if he will uncover his plot he will ruin the game for himself and for the person who will know the things, so its a loss-loss situation, and I hope that he will not do that, because in this way he will only sabotage himself. While to clarify the plot to the perp I would need a lot of time and it would be suspicious if I would be talking to him on the spot.
But I understand the concerrn nd will do my best to avoid such things.

Do you know whom should I write, to ask to do my RPG on thurthday 21 of September? By then all will be sorted out and hopefully i would find m6 villanous volunteer.

Welcome aboard - I’d definitely like to be in! Always up for a good mystery.

And don’t worry too much. We’ve done this sort of thing lots of times. See you at Spielbar!

Once I played a game of “werewolf” (murder mystery game like this), where certain players formed an alliance before the game and didn’t let anybody to be accused among them - even if the killer was on of them. This might have been fun for a few of them, but such strategy totally killed the game for the others, as these players blocked every decisions or acts.

I know people, who play RISK that way

That’s nothing. I play solitaire that way …

I have a feeling you play your whole life that way…

Wait, you can’t accuse me of that - you’re part of my alliance! Oops, hang on a minute …

(Everybody has one superpower. Mine? Making stupid forum posts that get people who have been off in parallel dimensions or something to reappear. Welcome back, and happy birthday.)

Damn, I’ve exposed us. Oh well. No parallel dimension unfortunately. Oh wait, you don’t have dragons here, do you?
Thanks. I might actually show up to a murder mystery. Love myself a good murder.