[Interest Check] For New DMs and those who want to be: Looking Behind the Screen

Thank you for joining the game, hope it was helpful

Each of you gains:

What happened to Kaylee?

Under the tutelage of Olivia Stillwater, Kaylee eventually became a powerful alchemist who took over the now joint shop. She followed her teacher footsteps in creating zombies out of corpses but now with a fresh smell, and less susceptible to rot. Besides that she created many potions and fulfilled her obligations to temple of Illmater.

What happened to Rick Bonebreaker and his partner?

They disappeared, after a bad meeting with their boss. You cross Xanathar only once.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for hosting and over the table DM-ing, it was really educational and fun!

Hoi,

I can make another sessions DM: Behind the Screen. Probably on a Sunday

The Possibilities:

• We run a one shot and I tell you of my process (again)
  • I work on my new potential open campaign/current campaign and I show you how I plan these.

Write if you are interested.

I just want to mention that dm preparation can look very different than what bufo bufo does. (Which I appreciate, her adventures are great)

What I usually do is take one quest from any computer game you played and take that as the thread that leads this adventure. And then let chaos lead from there.

2 Likes

Takanari is right. You can also check out other DMs, I learnt a from them

You can also check out other DMs, I learnt a from them

ok then here we go:

I can make a sessions DM: Behind the Screen. Probably on a Friday / Sunday
(Saturday if the weather is bad and I do not have to work :sun_behind_rain_cloud:)

The Possibilities:

We run a one shot and I tell you of my process

• pacing
  • how to plan a dungeoncrawl
  • how to run horror scenarios
  • how to run a comedy
  • how to make riddles that are interesting and not frustrating
  • how to run pure social scenarios
  • (I leave the heist/investigative stuff to @BufoBufo)

I work on my new current campaign and I show you how I plan these

• pacing
  • how to plan sandbox campaigns focussing on social stuff
  • how to plan sandbox campaigns focussing on exploration
  • how to plan episodic campaigns

Write if you are interested.

:partying_face:

1 Like

I am still very much interested in any tips I can get (though probably more interested in oneshots since I donā€™t plan to start a campaign), it really just comes down to the date you have in mind and if I can make time on that date

1 Like

@Tea007 sure :slight_smile:

are you more interested in running a dungeoncrawl (with riddles), a horror scenario, or a comedy?

dates:

• Friday the 2nd of Feb
  • Sunday the 11th of Feb
  • Sunday the 11th of Feb

(will look into the Saturdays ā€¦ canā€™t say yet)

1 Like

I would say dungeoncrawl is the thing I would benefit from the most since I have no idea how to do those. Friday 2nd would work, Sunday 11th not unfortunately

perfect :slight_smile:

I would be interested to sit in on ā€˜Dungeoncrawling 101ā€™ also

perfect ā€¦ letā€™s try Feb the 2nd

(will include it when I or so. else does next weekā€™s V.A.L.U.E. post)

2 spaces left :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since DM chat seems to be much in demand around here, if anybody wants to talk DMing or other RPG stuff, Iā€™ll be hanging out in front of the Parliament building at 6 today and going for a little stroll afterwards. If anybody wants to come - or is going anyway and wants to meet up - drop me a line, although Iā€™m afraid my useful advice will be limited to ā€œThink about what a DM is before looking for tips on minor detailsā€, ā€œScrew your stupid set pieces,ā€ and ā€œJust do it.ā€

(Sorry. All I got.)

See you!

3 Likes

My offer still stands too :slight_smile:

When? On a VALUE friday or some other day in my lair.

What I will play? You can choose:

• A Most Potent Brew (A nice, little T1 beginnerā€™s adventure with an alchemistā€™s dungeon that offers a lot of options for cool homebrew mechanics - pun intended :smiley: )
  • Death House (Yes, that one. That classic dungeon crawl from Curse of Strahd).
  • White Plume Mountain (An old schoon dungeon crawl for T2 or T3 characters, unforgiving and deadly, but in my opinion also a good introduction into that style of play - bear in mind that those dungeons are often too big to be run in a single session, this one most likely takes three - but multi-session games are quite common at VALUE)
  • Donā€™t Say Vecna (A T4 adventure for those who like an introduction into high-level DnD and want to see various ways of making fun and challenging encounters at these levels)

Or maybe something else? Going to prepare the Tarrasque Task of Moreen Trask soon (T2).

Some things I can tell you about:

• Combat encounter design, monster design and balancing
  • How to make rulings and how to apply the rule of cool
  • How to run and play high level D&D
  • How to run dungeon crawls and horror adventures

And other things :slight_smile:

I would be interested :hugs:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Resurrecting this thread as finally my calendar clears and we have a date:

When? 12th May at 1200 (Sunday afternoon) - likely to be Sagewerks

What will I prep Sit in on my prep for the next VALUE session, see my process and ask any questions you like.

This would be me taking a new written adventure, working through it to set up for the session, see how I do it, what I prepare for, how I plan to manage time, etc. Happy to run through it in a ā€˜backstage viewā€™ way and talk through what I would see as the edges and corners to watch and answer any questions you might have.

@durchzug - you mentioned you were interested.

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested as well :slight_smile:

Canā€™t do May 12, sadly, but maybe at a later dateā€¦?

Sure - I may well run this or similar again later in the year.

1 Like