Indie Games Introduction / Discussion

So, Neil asked me to share some thoughts about indie games / story games / narrative-focussed RPGing in this other thread

Which I will of course gladly do ^^

To get the discussion started, I asked everyone to post what questions they had, what criticisms they had heard and generally anything that interests them about these new(er) type of roleplaying games.

• H - made the beginning, and posted a few statements (well, actually criticisms!) that he has heard levelled at these games. I will try and comment them now.

Interestingly, I’ve never heard that one before… maybe you would like to specify? Try as I might, I can’t readily think of any such credits taken or claimed by the Indie movement at large…
Well, let me think what it could be. It certainly can’t be hallmark aspects of (some) indie games such as GM-less play, or experimental game design á la “strip down the rules until nothing remains that does not directly support the communal creation of a shared story”, now can it?

On the whole, however, it has to be said that of course indie games did originate from out of the mainstream RPG culture. They certainly did not completely invent themselves from the ground up, but rather built on an already existing hobby (and the traditions, practices, techniques, clichees existing therein)

True, some indie designers tend to sound a bit like they just invented the wheel, I’ll grant you that :smiley: But really, what I’m seeing is more of a disecting and recombining of existing elements, so to speak.

(For example, they are looking at the role(s) of the GM in various traditional RPGs, and pondering what might happen if these various responsibilities and prerogatives were “messed with” somehow. As in “can there be GM-less play” in the more extreme cases, or stuff like “what if the Players invented, or even controlled certain NPC’s, instead of the GM…”)

So yes, it can be said that the entirety of the hobby originated within the mainstream of games, of course. Then again, recombining existing elements can be an artform in itself, and many of these games can be seen to bring to the fore various aspects that in traditional RPGs have perhaps been existent, but maybe merely peripherally so…

(For example, Call of Cthulhu had this neat Madness mechanic, which was really something special in this game. Apart from that however, CoC was pretty much the most traditional game imaginable… Attributes like Strength and Intelligence, dozens of skills measured in the percentage range, hit points (or some variant, i don’t recall atm)…
Now, looking at a game like My Life with Master, it’s like looking at something that has no rules, no attributes, no skills… except for stuff like that Madness mechanic from CoC. Surely that is something different entirely, and surely taking some credit for that is not entirely unjustifiable in this case?)

(MLwM has “attributes” such as Weariness, Self-Loathing and Love. That’s what PCs get. The setting gets Reason and Fear. All the NPCs, the evil Master himself, and really any situation in the game is resolved using these 5 stats. Its nothig short of revolutionary, so much so in fact, that people have doubted whether it is really even still a roleplaying game in the strictest sense of the term - and i’m not sure it is, either! :smiley: but its a fun experience to play, very intense, very freeform, but still very focussed…)

What other credits have you heard of that the indie community has allegedly claimed unjustifiedly?

Well, yes and no.
I can see where this criticism is coming from, but on the other hand, it is probably based on a misunderstanding, or simply on different perspectives.

You see, in trad-games (i’m gonna use that term from now on, because of ease of typing as opposed to “traditional RPGs”) empowerment is often understood as levelling-up in some way, shape or form. Storygames certainly do not cater to that type of empowerment.

Instead, what they try (or most of them, can’t really speak for absolutely any and all of 'em here) is to slightly change the approach of a “player” to the “RPG”. It could be put this way: in trad-games, you usually have this GM, who like, prepares a story, and then the players come in, and they “participate” in that story - whether that be trying to solve the riddles, survive the fights, enjoy the tale, etc.

We in the indie-fandom call this the “actor stance”, a type of attitude that has players concentrate on being “immersed in their character”. You listen to the GM’s description of a situation, say, and then attempt to react accordingly, ideally aiming for the most realistic and/or the most tactically viable options in describing the behaviour of your character…
There are also two other “stances”, these are the “director stance” and the “author stance”. The first of these is usually reserved for the GM, of course. He/she describes the scenery, controls the NPCs, works to convey the flavor, theme and mood of the RPG world, etc. The GM “directs” the game.

But what if players were allowed to do some of that, too? Here’s where the “author stance” comes in. As anyone who has ever written even the shortest bit of prose will be able to attest, writing a story about a lone protagonist doing things is very different from your typical RPG-experience, where you are playing that character as if it was yourself.

In practice, “author stance” means that you, as a player get to participate in writing your character’s story. You know how in, say, World of Darkness, or Shadowrun, your character can have “contacts” in the game world? Usually, the players themselves come up with who these people are, how they know them, and what the relationship is between them. See, that’s author stance right there! The GM then merely needs to take this (player-created) material and work with it. “So you got a contact in the military who you know from your days in the war, right? Okay, he calls you one day and asks if you two could meet. He sounds a bit nervous…”
(as opposed to strictly director stance, where the player would have to request being allowed to take “contacts”, and the GM would come up with who they could be and what they would do…)

Another example for author stance in practice would be a D&D game where the GM asks all players at the start of the campaign: “You’re making 1st-level-chars now, everybody. But I want you all to think about something for me. Where do you want your character to be by level 5? And who will your character have become by level 12? Imagine the archmages, warrior kings, master thieves etc. that you will wanna be, and tell me about them, please…”
(I have actually done this in the past, and let me tell you, it worked wonders for me as a GM to “get” my players’ char concepts, and work with them accordingly over the story. Won’t work so well with pre-made adventure modules, obviously, although it can still be woven in… but works like a charm when you’re coming up with your own story - and is great fun, because really it’s everyone’s story, then.)

I think this is the kind of empowerment that is meant by that claim. So maybe it’s all just a misunderstanding of the term “empowerment”? Or else, I would be sincerely interested to learn how else it could be understood to make this claim “a myth”…

This one is certainly true. If only to a degree, in certain cases.
The thing is, “immersion” is a concept that has been severly doubted by “the indie community”. Considerations such as “does simulationism even exist?” and “is immersion at all possible?” are often heard in those circles…

I for one believe that Immersion is possible, and that it can be great fun. In fact, the traditional approach to RPGing all but builds around that very concept. (“Imagine YOU could be THAT CHARACTER from this immensely cool movie or book you’ve seen/read!” is about the oldest way of explaining what RPGs are that I can remember)

Of course, and that’s where the answer to this question touches upon the previous one, with so many indie games trying to “walk new paths of RPGing”, and focussing so heavily of furthering “author stance” and other things to “enhance the narrative”, Immersion is likely to suffer.
It is especially older indie-games that were notably clumsy in their approach in that respect.
Newer ones, such as DitV or ApocWorld (both by Vince Baker, incidentally), manage to bridge the gap way more efficiently (and/or elegantly) in many cases.

But sure, if part of your attention is on “making this a good story”, you will not be able to focus as fully on “being that character”, similarly perhaps to how many actors don’t like to watch their own movies… after all, reading a good book and writing one, are two very different sorts of fun as well.

Many indie games cater more to the “writing” than they do to the “reading” part, then.

That’s it for right now. I hope I managed to maybe answer a few questions? Got any more for me?

best regards,

Auburney

Awesome post, Auburney! Just the thing to read while I’m supposed to be working!

Actually (full disclosure), these aren’t things I’ve heard, but conclusions that I’ve drawn…

Interestingly, I’ve never heard that one before… maybe you would like to specify? Try as I might, I can’t readily think of any such credits taken or claimed by the Indie movement at large…[/quote]
For starters, fate points/bennies/karma/etc. come to mind.

Also, there’s a whole category of neat new dice mechanics … which, if you take a couple moments, turn out to be equivalent to long-standing mechanics, but that’s another issue. (Then again, you did say you wanted more questions.)

In practice, “author stance” means that you, as a player get to participate in writing your character’s story.[/quote]
Sure. The problem is that in many games, the price for being able to do so is to (previously) do something that conforms to the GM’s ideas of what you should be doing. That’s not empowering, that’s “Roll over and I’ll give you a treat.”

Some indie games are wonderfully empowering. Others aren’t. For example, of all the games I’ve played, the least empowering has to be … Fiasco.

I just think that the generalization on tis point that you often see is silly.

Anyway, I’ll leave you with that for now. Time to do a little more work. But hey, this could turn into the first great RPG Vienna debate…

As for fate points, karma, and the like - very true! This is definitely not an invention of the indie movement, although a number of indie-games capitalize on having stats like these.

There were Fate Points (and the like) all the way back in KULT, and early editions of Shadowrun I believe had something similar as well. Also, in the Eberron Campaign Setting (for D&D 3.5), Action Points fulfilled a similar role. So this mechanic is definitely not exclusively used - nor has it been invented by - indie games!

It is however true that many indie games used them prominently, and it coudl be that some of these games’ designers are very vocal about these stats’ importance :wink:

But in this case, it may also be a bit like that example I mentioned earlier with the Madness stat from CoC - trad games had it (occassionally), but indie-games really brought it into its own, perhaps?

The Riddle of Steel for example, had “Spiritual Attributes” (which could perhaps mor eto the point be called Story Attributes), which gave players the option to choose various passions, duties, faiths, loves or hates, and give them numbers. In game then, whenever you acted according to your passion / faith / duty / whatever, you’d get bonuses according to the current numbers. The numbers could also change through the story, i.e. if you betrayed your duty too often, the rating would drop…
A player could have 3-5 of these SA’s , and on top of that, there was a Luck and a Destiny mechanic added, as well. Perhaps this is another example where some trad-games might have had the same thing(s), but perhaps not to such an extent. And play in The Riddle of Steel really focusses on these attributes, you can’t even help it as a player, the mechnic just pulls you in that direction. Oftentimes, I have seen players worry more about how their conflicting Faith and Duty attributes would develop, than they cared about whether to increase their Strength or their Dexterity :slight_smile:
(which you also get to do in TRoS, it is basically a trad-game system, with a narrative engine in the form of SA’s set on top of it. Very neat to introduce people used to D&D, Shadowrun, GURPS etc. to a more nar-focussed style of gaming, I have found)

ah, yes :smiley:

The constant need to invent hot new dice mechanics is something I have found myself frowning upon, as well. I mean, okay, it doesn’t always have to be the good old D20+skill (or whatever) for me, by all means mix it up!
But still, some games may be taking this way too far. Especially when considering that a dice mechanic in itself is ultimately meaningless, of course - it is what you can reflect with it, or how it expresses some design idea, that matters…

In other words, I guess my own stance on this is: A dice mechanic is only ever as good as the theme / mood / atmosphere / gameplay it conveys. Rolling 3d8+1d6-5d4 and then dividing by three… and not having anything to say with it… that’s where things have long become stupid :smiley:

(coming to think of it, also in trad-games you might say that dice mechanics are “streamlined” to support what the system wants to feel like. D&D is supposed to be fast-paced action adventuring, so it uses simple rolls with very concrete outcomes (D20+bonus vs. target number). World of Darkness on the other hand, for example, qants to feel more brooding, more instrospective, and opts for a slower gameplay in order to let players and GM indulge that (a dicepool of usually between 3-8 dice is rolled against a target number which each dice is separately compared to, in order to establish the number of successes reaching from 0 thorugh, well 10 I guess at the very most (although usually, you’ll have between 0 and 3 successes most of the time)… this is very gradable, and results are expressed in shades of grey rather than D&D’s trademark “pass or fail” policy :wink: )

well, i guess I would rather put it
“some Storytelling games can empower certain types of players, namely those looking for that specific way of empowerment (i.e. a narrative one)”
but of course, generalizations does happen ^^ But it is of course silly, nonetheless!

I fully agree that this would be “roll over and I’ll give you a treat”, but…

could you give me a concrete example of what a player has to do? Say, for example, in Fiasco? (which I have never played, only read, and that was about a year ago…)

If it’s a case of “hey guys, this story only works if you behave in ways the story wants to you behave”, then yes, that’s not exactly empowering :smiley:

On the other hand, there’s another (infamous, i’m afraid) concept for that: it’s called “premise”.
As far as I claim to understand it, premise is about a game saying “i’m all about XY” in no unclear terms. For example, in D&D the premise could be described as “you’ll be playing action adventurers (whether professional dungeon raiders or heroes-by-accident) in this epic fantasy world, and there’s gonna be a lot of fighting, solving riddles, casting magic and (very nearly) stumbling into cruel death traps going on…”
Everybody who joins such a game will know pretty much what to expect. Of course, some people will start D&D expecting to “re-enact the Lord of the Rings”, or “be Conan”, but they may be disappointed with the game before long… (or they may not, depending a lot on their GM, really - D&D is immensely driftable, i.e. you can do pretty many things with it if you try hard enough)

Returning to indie-games, then, they are very big on premise. VERY big indeed. Almost all of them have a much narrower scope than traditional RPGs do. (Where you can often explore a whole world, and do pretty much whatever you want in the process)

A good example would be My Life with Master, once again. It is extremely heavy on premise, as the players are told to create characters who are the wretched servants of a wicked overlord with evil plans (actually char creation happens communally, as well as conception of the town they’re all in, and the evil Master’s personality is developed together, at the first session). The game will then proceed to be about these “wretched minions struggling to resist the evil orders of their Master, struggling to carry them out against the adversity of the innocent townsfolk (as soon as they fail the “resist” roll, which they will, soon and often), and struggling to gain some love and self-respect from choice contacts amongst the population of the town, all the while trying to hem their own descent into monstrosity brought about by their very obedience to their wicked Lord…”

That’s one hell of a premise, innit, and I could blame no player for “not getting into it” with this game. It is also the most extreme example of this that I have ever encountered :smiley:

(oh, and did I mention the premise then goes on to assure you “and in the end, the evil Master will be overthrown by one or more of the minions, upon which each of their epilogues will ensue.” :smiley: the game has an actual “Endgame” mechanic for when the pressure on the PCs becomes to great and one of them finally rises up against their collective oppressor. Also, it has an “Epilogue” mechanic which helps you determine what happens to the poor wretches afterwards… (Chars with high Self-Loathing and low Love may die violently during the Endgame, while those with high Weariness and high Love may settle down and live the rest of their days quietly and peacefully amongst the townfolk… there are a number of combinations, and the terms are formulated just vaguely enough to leave free room for interpretation, while being concrete enough to ensure keeping appropriate to the genre and pointing players in a concrete direction… it’s beautiful, really, tells a whole story from beginning to end, if, and that’s a big IF, you get a group together who all grok the /very restrictive) premise!)

And I’ll fully concede there are problems with that. One of them is the danger of the game being “over before it’s begun”, due to the large amount of agreeing about narrative content that has to be done before the game itself can start. In the worst case, it may just be “going through the motions” after that…

Amongst games with a bit less overpowering of a premise might be DitV, Apocalypse World, TRoS, Primetime Adventures… although all of them got some of it, too…

Maybe that is what you didn’t like about Fiasco? (you said elsewhere that it was fun to play one time, but would probably suck to do it again… I’ve heard the same thing said about MLwM, and cannot entirely disregard the claim, in all honesty…

But plese feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, on any accounts! :slight_smile:

Oh joy, another excuse to lay down the manuscript I’ve been working on!

[quote=“Auburney”]As for fate points, karma, and the like - very true! This is definitely not an invention of the indie movement, although a number of indie-games capitalize on having stats like these.

There were Fate Points (and the like) all the way back in KULT, and early editions of Shadowrun I believe had something similar as well. Also, in the Eberron Campaign Setting (for D&D 3.5), Action Points fulfilled a similar role. So this mechanic is definitely not exclusively used - nor has it been invented by - indie games!

It is however true that many indie games used them prominently, and it coudl be that some of these games’ designers are very vocal about these stats’ importance :wink:

But in this case, it may also be a bit like that example I mentioned earlier with the Madness stat from CoC - trad games had it (occassionally), but indie-games really brought it into its own, perhaps?[/quote]
I think you’ll find that fate points, or whatever you want to call them, go all the way back to James Bond, although it was probably Marvel Super Heroes that popularized them.

I suppose you could say that indie games brought fate points into their own. I certainly couldn’t argue with such an opinion. But just to insert an alternate perspective for the sake of this discussion … perhaps indie designers misunderstood this mechanic?

Bond and Marvel are both somewhat hokey games. Unrealistic events are the bread and butter of the cliche spy and comic book genres, and fate points do a good job of helping to simulate those genres. But is inserting such a mechanism into more realistic games a good idea? I have my doubts.

[quote=“Auburney”]The Riddle of Steel for example, had “Spiritual Attributes” (which could perhaps mor eto the point be called Story Attributes), which gave players the option to choose various passions, duties, faiths, loves or hates, and give them numbers. In game then, whenever you acted according to your passion / faith / duty / whatever, you’d get bonuses according to the current numbers. The numbers could also change through the story, i.e. if you betrayed your duty too often, the rating would drop…
A player could have 3-5 of these SA’s , and on top of that, there was a Luck and a Destiny mechanic added, as well. Perhaps this is another example where some trad-games might have had the same thing(s), but perhaps not to such an extent.[/quote]
Been there, done that, played Ars Magica, got the t-shirt… Another example of innovation that happened long before the indie movement.

Between Bond, Ars, Champions, and Prince Valiant, I think a lot of the indie movement’s “innovations” are covered.

ah, yes :smiley:

The constant need to invent hot new dice mechanics is something I have found myself frowning upon, as well. I mean, okay, it doesn’t always have to be the good old D20+skill (or whatever) for me, by all means mix it up!
But still, some games may be taking this way too far. Especially when considering that a dice mechanic in itself is ultimately meaningless, of course - it is what you can reflect with it, or how it expresses some design idea, that matters…

In other words, I guess my own stance on this is: A dice mechanic is only ever as good as the theme / mood / atmosphere / gameplay it conveys. Rolling 3d8+1d6-5d4 and then dividing by three… and not having anything to say with it… that’s where things have long become stupid :smiley:

(coming to think of it, also in trad-games you might say that dice mechanics are “streamlined” to support what the system wants to feel like. D&D is supposed to be fast-paced action adventuring, so it uses simple rolls with very concrete outcomes (D20+bonus vs. target number). World of Darkness on the other hand, for example, qants to feel more brooding, more instrospective, and opts for a slower gameplay in order to let players and GM indulge that (a dicepool of usually between 3-8 dice is rolled against a target number which each dice is separately compared to, in order to establish the number of successes reaching from 0 thorugh, well 10 I guess at the very most (although usually, you’ll have between 0 and 3 successes most of the time)… this is very gradable, and results are expressed in shades of grey rather than D&D’s trademark “pass or fail” policy :wink: )[/quote]
Agreed with you here. Few things annoy me more in RPGs than dice mechanics that are designed to obfuscate the odds … frequently to the point where the designers have no clue about the math inherent to their system, either.

World of Darkness is a great example. Wasn’t there a bit of an issue with illogical fumble results?

(Just to clarify, I think this is something that plagues indie games and traditional games equally.)

well, i guess I would rather put it
“some Storytelling games can empower certain types of players, namely those looking for that specific way of empowerment (i.e. a narrative one)”
but of course, generalizations does happen ^^ But it is of course silly, nonetheless!

I fully agree that this would be “roll over and I’ll give you a treat”, but…

could you give me a concrete example of what a player has to do? Say, for example, in Fiasco? (which I have never played, only read, and that was about a year ago…)[/quote]
Sorry, can’t really do so for Fiasco, since the game isn’t set up that way. But getting back to fate points, look at how they’re earned in many games. When you scrape away all the trimmings, it’s frequently just acting the way the GM wants you to act.

[quote=“Auburney”]If it’s a case of “hey guys, this story only works if you behave in ways the story wants to you behave”, then yes, that’s not exactly empowering :smiley:

On the other hand, there’s another (infamous, i’m afraid) concept for that: it’s called “premise”.
As far as I claim to understand it, premise is about a game saying “i’m all about XY” in no unclear terms. For example, in D&D the premise could be described as “you’ll be playing action adventurers (whether professional dungeon raiders or heroes-by-accident) in this epic fantasy world, and there’s gonna be a lot of fighting, solving riddles, casting magic and (very nearly) stumbling into cruel death traps going on…”
Everybody who joins such a game will know pretty much what to expect. Of course, some people will start D&D expecting to “re-enact the Lord of the Rings”, or “be Conan”, but they may be disappointed with the game before long… (or they may not, depending a lot on their GM, really - D&D is immensely driftable, i.e. you can do pretty many things with it if you try hard enough)

Returning to indie-games, then, they are very big on premise. VERY big indeed. Almost all of them have a much narrower scope than traditional RPGs do. (Where you can often explore a whole world, and do pretty much whatever you want in the process)

A good example would be My Life with Master, once again. It is extremely heavy on premise, as the players are told to create characters who are the wretched servants of a wicked overlord with evil plans (actually char creation happens communally, as well as conception of the town they’re all in, and the evil Master’s personality is developed together, at the first session). The game will then proceed to be about these “wretched minions struggling to resist the evil orders of their Master, struggling to carry them out against the adversity of the innocent townsfolk (as soon as they fail the “resist” roll, which they will, soon and often), and struggling to gain some love and self-respect from choice contacts amongst the population of the town, all the while trying to hem their own descent into monstrosity brought about by their very obedience to their wicked Lord…”

That’s one hell of a premise, innit, and I could blame no player for “not getting into it” with this game. It is also the most extreme example of this that I have ever encountered :smiley:

(oh, and did I mention the premise then goes on to assure you “and in the end, the evil Master will be overthrown by one or more of the minions, upon which each of their epilogues will ensue.” :smiley: the game has an actual “Endgame” mechanic for when the pressure on the PCs becomes to great and one of them finally rises up against their collective oppressor. Also, it has an “Epilogue” mechanic which helps you determine what happens to the poor wretches afterwards… (Chars with high Self-Loathing and low Love may die violently during the Endgame, while those with high Weariness and high Love may settle down and live the rest of their days quietly and peacefully amongst the townfolk… there are a number of combinations, and the terms are formulated just vaguely enough to leave free room for interpretation, while being concrete enough to ensure keeping appropriate to the genre and pointing players in a concrete direction… it’s beautiful, really, tells a whole story from beginning to end, if, and that’s a big IF, you get a group together who all grok the /very restrictive) premise!)

And I’ll fully concede there are problems with that. One of them is the danger of the game being “over before it’s begun”, due to the large amount of agreeing about narrative content that has to be done before the game itself can start. In the worst case, it may just be “going through the motions” after that…

Amongst games with a bit less overpowering of a premise might be DitV, Apocalypse World, TRoS, Primetime Adventures… although all of them got some of it, too…[/quote]
I agree with you about premise, and I do love a good one. Full marks to Life with Master on that account.

I don’t think, however, that there’s anything about indies that leads to better (or worse) premises than traditional games.

Just for fun, here’s a question: Would Life with Master have been less of a game if it had grafted that premise onto the very traditional BRP system? I kind of doubt it. (Oops, now I’ve inadvertently edged into the whole system matters debate. Let’s leave that for next time, ok?)

[quote=“Auburney”]Maybe that is what you didn’t like about Fiasco? (you said elsewhere that it was fun to play one time, but would probably suck to do it again… I’ve heard the same thing said about MLwM, and cannot entirely disregard the claim, in all honesty…

But plese feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, on any accounts! :slight_smile:[/quote]
Nah, what I don’t like about Fiasco (never mind the bit about empowerment), is that … actually, I’ll spoiler this for anyone who wants to try out the game with an open mind, which I would recommend:

[spoiler]The problem is that you soon realize that all results - good or bad - are equally fun and interesting. This means that there’s no tension, which isn’t really a good thing when it’s designed primarily for a genre that relies on tension. In the end, it all turns into going through the motions.

But that’s just me. I know many people who absolutely love Fiasco and could play it every day. Try it out and see for yourself.[/spoiler]

true, forgot about MSH there! Only played it once though, and that was ages ago… and never tried James Bond… but I do remember these games being found cool by a couple of guys around me who were way more into the whole superhero schtick than I was - and not a few of them mentioned those “special action points” as being an awesome idea.

So clearly, you are right about these things having been in the mainstream first, then maybe forgotten (or used only in a choice few games), then rediscovered by the indies…? Certainly not invented, though ^^

[quote]just to insert an alternate perspective for the sake of this discussion … perhaps indie designers misunderstood this mechanic?

Bond and Marvel are both somewhat hokey games. Unrealistic events are the bread and butter of the cliche spy and comic book genres, and fate points do a good job of helping to simulate those genres. But is inserting such a mechanism into more realistic games a good idea? I have my doubts. [/quote]

an interesting point, but I do think that “realistic games” are not high on the priority list of most indie designers. That may be one reason for the “rediscovery” (let’s call it) of Fate points by this community - after all, many indie games are highly genre-specific, often aim for a cinematic or narrative-focussed feel, and generally don’t put high value on “simulationism” as it were…
In that light, Fate points are an ideal tool to get the game going in the direction you want it to! If realism is not a concern, let’s rip with the genre!

[quote]Been there, done that, played Ars Magica, got the t-shirt… Another example of innovation that happened long before the indie movement.

Between Bond, Ars, Champions, and Prince Valiant, I think a lot of the indie movement’s “innovations” are covered.[/quote]

granted, but then Ars was pretty “indie” back when it came out, wasn’t it? A lot of the concepts in there were way ahead of their time (last but not least the magic system, which I loved to pieces back then!), and in fact, the games published later by the same people (Vampire the Masquerade, Mage the Awakening etc.) were far more “mainstream”, as the company realized it would have to be able to compete if they were planning on going anywhere, financially…

Also, of the ones you mentioned up there, there’s actually none I would think of as “mainstream” :smiley: or “traditional”, for that matter…
I guess there have always been good games out there that deviated from “the norm” (especially before there was a norm, which in my opinion only started during the RPG boom of the 90ies, when game after game came out that was with little exception “just the same” as so many other games - “here’s some attributes, grab a few skills, there’s a task resolution mechanic, and off you go” :slight_smile: )

Surely, in the time before that, there were many gems perhaps forgotten or easily overlooked later on. And yeah, the indie movement can perhaps rightfully be accused of “shamelessly stealing from the ancestors”, I will readily concede as much ^^

yeah, it was a math problem indeed - the issue was that the chance for a critical fumble actually increased when your stats became really high (due to some numbercrunching thing where many dice produce many 1s… duh!)

But to give them some credit, dicepool systems with variable amounts of dice, varying TNs and variable numbers of successes needed are extremely hard to crunch. You’d really need to be able to make a three-dimensional table to express the odds, and then look at that table from three different directions at once…

That is also the reason why under the New World of Darkness, there is a fixed TN (target number) for a dice to count as a success. With the “floating” TN eliminated (it used to be something from 5-9 iirc, and now is always 8), and the rules for fumble rewritten (more than half of your dice have to be 1s now for you to fumble), the system runs much more smoothly now.
Not that I don’t still have my issues with it, but more smoothly, yes I’ll give it that :slight_smile:

Sure, and that’s an annoying thing, agreed with you on that!
But then, I can’t really think of too many indie-games that use them like that… can you?

I liked how in (old) WoD, you replenished your Willpower by acting according to your Nature, while you also had to act according to your Demeanor in order to present a consistent face to the fictional people in the game-world. Each player would choose Nature/Demeanor for themselves (with some groups keeping Nature a secret between players), and so each player would have a hand in saying what she wanted to have to do in order to earn back their spent “Fate points” (here: Willpower). That was a nice touch.

On the other hand, D&D 3.5, with Eberron, had those Action Points, and you would get X amount of them to spend each level, and they would replenish only when raising to the next level. That’s awhole different route to go, of course, but it also worked for me (only played, never ran it).

Having wishy-washy non-rules allowing a GM to give them out at whim, and not give the player anything more concrete than that would not sit well with me, either. It seems we are agreed on this, then?

nope, not in terms of better / worse certainly. I do find that indies often tend to have a more front-loaded premise, and that their premises are perhaps narrower on average than those of trad-games. In order to provide a more intense focus and all that, of course ^^

Funny you should mention that! :smiley:

Incidentally, I have started a hack of MLwM at one point, where I adopted the underlying ideas of that system for a “story engine”, determining the development of the overarching narration, while using a very basic skill resolution system to resolve individual senes… almost finished it, even, but sadly never got around to playtest it.

The idea was to have a Masked Avengers game (á la Watchmen, Batman, Zorro, no superpowers, just masks and determination) in a City Full of Crime, where ultimately, the heroes would succeed (or not) in ridding their town(s) of villainous criminals, mad scientists, corrupt kings and the like. I wanted individual scenes resolved by use of tactics and skills, but wanted the overall story progression to be governed by MLwM-like rules.

(so, if you defeated a sub-villain and got to question him in the process, you’d get +1 point of Information. When looking for new leads to the Main Villain, your Information score would be used, and a successful roll could gain you additional Info points. The group needed about 12-15 Info between them in order to trigger the Endgame, wherein they would confront the Main Villain and/or try to prevent the havoc she was attempting to wreak upon the city in the course of her Masterplan… stuff like that…
but, unlike MLwM, I didn’t want whole scenes to be resolved with just one roll. My players have expressed dissatisfaction with the inability to use any skills or tactics in order to influence the odds of such scenes’ outcomes in that system, and I was trying to adress that concern.)

Basically, I don’t think MLwM would be less of a game for doing such a thing with it. If anything, it would run the risk of becoming more of a game that way :wink:

In the finished version of this game of mine, there would have been the option of either using it with its own, built-in skill system and tactical abilities, or of divorcing its story engine from that, and using it to put it on top of other RPG systems.
(such as, I was for example planning a Dark Sun campaign using D&D4 for the rules, but letting my system govern the story progression. It is easy to implement, one just needs to define where the “story points” are (i.e. what constitutes “defeating a sub-villain” or “socially connecting to the oppressed citizens” in terms of D&D 4 rules speech), and it’s a workable combo)

guess that goes to show that not all is good, just because it is “indie”. Oftentimes a healthy dose of “trad” can do a crazy new idea (or rediscovered idea, in certain cases) more good than ill :slight_smile:

no problem, but… are we not already right in the middle of that, though? :smiley:

just for the record though, I am of the opinion that system does, indeed, matter.
For what, and to whom, and all the finer details of this particular issue, may be well left for another day, however!

All that said; far be it from me to detract you from your (undoubtedly valuable) studies with my mad ramblings! :wink:
Maybe some others might like to chime in, so as to relieve -H- of the sole responsibility here? :smiley:

Lots of great points here…

true, forgot about MSH there! Only played it once though, and that was ages ago… and never tried James Bond… but I do remember these games being found cool by a couple of guys around me who were way more into the whole superhero schtick than I was - and not a few of them mentioned those “special action points” as being an awesome idea.

So clearly, you are right about these things having been in the mainstream first, then maybe forgotten (or used only in a choice few games), then rediscovered by the indies…? Certainly not invented, though ^^[/quote]
Interesting point. I’d have to think about this for a bit, but I have a feeling you’re right as far as rediscovery goes.

And rediscovering something is certainly admirable. No argument there. I just find it annoying when much of what you hear coming from advocates of the indie movement (presumably not those most closesely involved, to be fair), conveniently omits that little “re-”…

[quote=“Auburney”][quote]just to insert an alternate perspective for the sake of this discussion … perhaps indie designers misunderstood this mechanic?

Bond and Marvel are both somewhat hokey games. Unrealistic events are the bread and butter of the cliche spy and comic book genres, and fate points do a good job of helping to simulate those genres. But is inserting such a mechanism into more realistic games a good idea? I have my doubts. [/quote]

an interesting point, but I do think that “realistic games” are not high on the priority list of most indie designers. That may be one reason for the “rediscovery” (let’s call it) of Fate points by this community - after all, many indie games are highly genre-specific, often aim for a cinematic or narrative-focussed feel, and generally don’t put high value on “simulationism” as it were…
In that light, Fate points are an ideal tool to get the game going in the direction you want it to! If realism is not a concern, let’s rip with the genre![/quote]
OK, I’ll buy that. I do still think that there are a number of games that wind up being more cinematic (or however you want to describe it) than is good for them, and also more than the designers intended.

It sometimes seems as if game design is trending toward including fate points by default, when it seems like a mechanism that requires a strong reason for including.

[quote=“Auburney”][quote]Been there, done that, played Ars Magica, got the t-shirt… Another example of innovation that happened long before the indie movement.

Between Bond, Ars, Champions, and Prince Valiant, I think a lot of the indie movement’s “innovations” are covered.[/quote]

granted, but then Ars was pretty “indie” back when it came out, wasn’t it? A lot of the concepts in there were way ahead of their time (last but not least the magic system, which I loved to pieces back then!), and in fact, the games published later by the same people (Vampire the Masquerade, Mage the Awakening etc.) were far more “mainstream”, as the company realized it would have to be able to compete if they were planning on going anywhere, financially…

Also, of the ones you mentioned up there, there’s actually none I would think of as “mainstream” :smiley: or “traditional”, for that matter…
I guess there have always been good games out there that deviated from “the norm” (especially before there was a norm, which in my opinion only started during the RPG boom of the 90ies, when game after game came out that was with little exception “just the same” as so many other games - “here’s some attributes, grab a few skills, there’s a task resolution mechanic, and off you go” :slight_smile: )

Surely, in the time before that, there were many gems perhaps forgotten or easily overlooked later on. And yeah, the indie movement can perhaps rightfully be accused of “shamelessly stealing from the ancestors”, I will readily concede as much ^^[/quote]
I dunno. Champions always seemed like a very mainstream game to me, and so did Ars. I’d also call Valiant and Bond niche games rather than indie. Chaosium and AH don’t exactly have a whole lot of indie cred…

And I have no problem with shameless stealing. In fact, I think there’s far too little of that in RPGs. It’s the way some in the indie community disparage traditional games despite those games having spawned so many indie ideas that rubs me the wrong way.

yeah, it was a math problem indeed - the issue was that the chance for a critical fumble actually increased when your stats became really high (due to some numbercrunching thing where many dice produce many 1s… duh!)

But to give them some credit, dicepool systems with variable amounts of dice, varying TNs and variable numbers of successes needed are extremely hard to crunch.[/quote]
No! No credit! :smiley:

Sorry for shouting, but this is something I have strong feelings about. Why on earth would you want a system that’s hard to crunch in the first place? This makes no sense.

If somebody designs a system that’s so hard to crunch that they don’t understand it themselves, that person should stay the &#%$ away from my games.

(OK, I feel better now.)

Sure, and that’s an annoying thing, agreed with you on that!
But then, I can’t really think of too many indie-games that use them like that… can you?

I liked how in (old) WoD, you replenished your Willpower by acting according to your Nature, while you also had to act according to your Demeanor in order to present a consistent face to the fictional people in the game-world. Each player would choose Nature/Demeanor for themselves (with some groups keeping Nature a secret between players), and so each player would have a hand in saying what she wanted to have to do in order to earn back their spent “Fate points” (here: Willpower). That was a nice touch.

On the other hand, D&D 3.5, with Eberron, had those Action Points, and you would get X amount of them to spend each level, and they would replenish only when raising to the next level. That’s awhole different route to go, of course, but it also worked for me (only played, never ran it).

Having wishy-washy non-rules allowing a GM to give them out at whim, and not give the player anything more concrete than that would not sit well with me, either. It seems we are agreed on this, then?[/quote]
Absolutely.

nope, not in terms of better / worse certainly. I do find that indies often tend to have a more front-loaded premise, and that their premises are perhaps narrower on average than those of trad-games. In order to provide a more intense focus and all that, of course ^^[/quote]
Ye-es, I suppose. On the other hand, designing a game for what would be a campaign, or even a short adventure, in many traditional systems can also limit a game, not to mention increasing the time spent reading rules / time playing ratio.

Funny you should mention that! :smiley:

Incidentally, I have started a hack of MLwM at one point, where I adopted the underlying ideas of that system for a “story engine”, determining the development of the overarching narration, while using a very basic skill resolution system to resolve individual senes… almost finished it, even, but sadly never got around to playtest it.

The idea was to have a Masked Avengers game (á la Watchmen, Batman, Zorro, no superpowers, just masks and determination) in a City Full of Crime, where ultimately, the heroes would succeed (or not) in ridding their town(s) of villainous criminals, mad scientists, corrupt kings and the like. I wanted individual scenes resolved by use of tactics and skills, but wanted the overall story progression to be governed by MLwM-like rules.

(so, if you defeated a sub-villain and got to question him in the process, you’d get +1 point of Information. When looking for new leads to the Main Villain, your Information score would be used, and a successful roll could gain you additional Info points. The group needed about 12-15 Info between them in order to trigger the Endgame, wherein they would confront the Main Villain and/or try to prevent the havoc she was attempting to wreak upon the city in the course of her Masterplan… stuff like that…
but, unlike MLwM, I didn’t want whole scenes to be resolved with just one roll. My players have expressed dissatisfaction with the inability to use any skills or tactics in order to influence the odds of such scenes’ outcomes in that system, and I was trying to adress that concern.)

Basically, I don’t think MLwM would be less of a game for doing such a thing with it. If anything, it would run the risk of becoming more of a game that way :wink:

In the finished version of this game of mine, there would have been the option of either using it with its own, built-in skill system and tactical abilities, or of divorcing its story engine from that, and using it to put it on top of other RPG systems.
(such as, I was for example planning a Dark Sun campaign using D&D4 for the rules, but letting my system govern the story progression. It is easy to implement, one just needs to define where the “story points” are (i.e. what constitutes “defeating a sub-villain” or “socially connecting to the oppressed citizens” in terms of D&D 4 rules speech), and it’s a workable combo)

guess that goes to show that not all is good, just because it is “indie”. Oftentimes a healthy dose of “trad” can do a crazy new idea (or rediscovered idea, in certain cases) more good than ill :slight_smile:[/quote]
That all sounds like awesome fun - if you ever get a game going, I’d love to try it out.

no problem, but… are we not already right in the middle of that, though? :smiley:

just for the record though, I am of the opinion that system does, indeed, matter.
For what, and to whom, and all the finer details of this particular issue, may be well left for another day, however![/quote]
Sure. My own opinion is that system very rarely matters, but as you say, let’s leave that for a rainy day, either here or over a beverage.

I have to admit that this is a question where I haven’t entirely made up my mind, and would love to hear some solid opinions.

[quote=“Auburney”]All that said; far be it from me to detract you from your (undoubtedly valuable) studies with my mad ramblings! :wink:
Maybe some others might like to chime in, so as to relieve -H- of the sole responsibility here? :smiley:[/quote][/quote]
Neither studies nor particularly valuable - you saved me from some rather tedious business with German word division. Thank you!

And yes, the more opinions in this thread the better!

But while we wait for others to chime in … since we seem to have reached something close to consensus on at least a few of these issues, here are two more issues that I have issues with:

Storytelling mechanisms creeping into traditional games, and storytelling logic.

You mentioned earlier that indie games don’t go in for the simulationist approach very much, and that’s certainly a key point. Yet you could also, were you so inclined, turn around and say that indie games are highly simulationist - they just simulate something different. They simulate fiction.

Now, needless to say, all these games we play are fiction, but there’s still a fundamental difference in these two approaches. One attempts to create fiction based on a fictional reality, and attempts to adhere to the logic of that reality, while the other takes a bit of a shortcut and attempts to create fiction without being saddled by internal logic.

Hmm … that probably came out sounding a bit harsher than I intended. Perhaps an example would help. Here’s one that ties into the second point: storytelling mechanisms creeping into mainstream games.

Call of Cthulhu, which managed to resist the edition change gremlin for so many years, is planning some revisions for its seventh incarnation, and if the ideas being floated on the net are any indication, it seems they’re going a bit “indie” on us.

For example, luck will apparently be a resource, and can be used similarly to fate points et al., for instance to turn a failure into a success.

Luck point refresh through connections. Spend time with your dog Woof, regain luck.

Luck is also used to determine random outcomes that rely on, well, luck. An example given is trying to find a knife in an old house. Is there a knife in that drawer? Make a luck roll. Simple and straightforward.

The problem is this: Let’s say your luck was at 50% (just as an example), and you rubbed Woof’s furry tummy for a bit, and now your luck is at 51%. And let’s say you’re in the haunted house, and you roll to try to find a knife to defend yourself from something nasty with tentacles, and you roll a 51.

Playing with Woof has just created a knife.

Think about that for a minute. That’s storytelling causality. And it’s just a mild example.

In Mouse Guard, there’s an example where a character fails a spot roll (or whatever it’s called), and instead of seeing the mouse being searched for (which would have been the result of a success), the character only sees the mouse’s overturned cart, since the mouse has, thanks to the failure, been eaten by a snake.

There’s no underlying reality. The mouse isn’t alive, it isn’t dead. It apparently has no separate existence. It’s in some weird Schrödinger’s state, dependent entirely on the character. And that’s just a bit too solipsistic for comfort for me.

Can you imagine living in a world where that sort of causality rules? I’d be afraid to do anything whatsoever. Call Auburney on the phone? Heck no! If I fail a roll, the guy might wind up dead!

Anyway, that’s probably way too much rambling from me. Thanks for all the great points. This is turning into a very interesting discussion.

I lost the flow, too much to read :open_mouth:.

sorry Captain! I do tend to ramble on a bit, did I mention that? :blush:

Seems like this didn’t really come out as an Introduction so much as it became a full-blown in-medias-res discussion…

Anyone in favor of splitting the thread topic and making a separate “introduction” thread from this one, for the benfit of those who have not already taken a couple ranks in “Knowledge: Indie Games” …?

[quote]I do still think that there are a number of games that wind up being more cinematic (or however you want to describe it) than is good for them, and also more than the designers intended.

It sometimes seems as if game design is trending toward including fate points by default, when it seems like a mechanism that requires a strong reason for including.[/quote]
You certainly got a point there. Doing anything by default is of course of questionable value, especially if it’s only done to ride current trends, without thinking whether or not [x mechanic]'s inclusion is a worthwhile and valuable addition to the system in itself!

(once again, system does matter, it would seem :smiley: )

yeah, I’ve definitely dome across that sentiment before :slight_smile: and they really shouldn’t!

I mean, on the one hand it’s just classical communication breakdown between two parties with different perspectives on the same topic. Anyone who’s ever tried out something new, and found it good, has probably made the experience that when praising this new experience to others who have not yet tried it, that, well reactions may be mixed ( to put it mildly).
On the other hand, those happy with “the old ways” are often (rightfully) annoyed at “those new-fangled experimentalists” preaching their crazy new stuff as “the one true way” of doing things all of a sudden…

So yeah, I guess the “indie community” (if there is such a thing in the strictest sense) might do well to cut back on both the preaching and the disparaging.

But also, I think that, bottom line, the is no One True Way of roleplaying. It’s all just about having fun with friends sitting around a table and making up stories together. (That may be the smallest common denominator of our hobby, perhaps?)
I have found that it can be expecially difficult for trad-gamers to let go of a certain “One True Way” mentality, and therefore difficult to embrace those various new ideas as “just another aspect of our collective hobby”…

And small wonder this is difficult, as the traditional sytle of RPGing was, for decades, the only one way indeed.

And yes, indie designers can be pretty radical in “redefining” RPGs, and in defending their own radical approaches are at times prone to fits of disparaging all that went before, comitting brutal generalization while they’re at it… not necessarily the best way to communicate across the trad/indie divide, I find…

you wouldn’t of course :smiley:

then again, that bug in the rules only shows up with rather high dicepools and is really only apparent after careful examination of the uderlying math… and the WoD does have some arguments going for it, as well. Gradable results (as in number of successes) are one, and their good old “attribute + skill = number of dice rolled” is still amongst the more intuitive of rules systems out there imho

But of course, a real designer owes it to their customers to have checked and triple-checked their math, really. Even if for a self-purported “storytelling” game. The crunchy foundation absolutely has to be solid.

Yes, undoubtedly so. Many indie games are “limited” in that way, it is probably the price they pay for their various advantages over traditional systems (more NAR!)

Also, many indie games can be rather comparable to boardgames in that other respect you mention. Reading rules time vs. playing time. You’ll proably spend, I don’t know, a couple of hours to read MLwM, for example, but you’ll play it perhaps once or twice (with the same group, that is), before the experience would begin to become repetitive.
Spend a couple more hours on reading D&D and you can get years and years of adventuring out of it (even with the same group it does not become same-old-same-old all too fast)

Strong focus on particular aspects of roleplaying (NAR!) will do that to your game, I guess :smiley:

Thank you, and yes I will :slight_smile: I’ve been thinking about finishing it up for a couple months now, would just need to carve out some time to sit down and do it!

and finally, the new one:

there are some very good examples here, but I’m afraid I’ll have to leave them for a future post. Time to get some work done now, but I’ll be sure to come back to them!
Cheers for bringing them up, anyways :slight_smile:

[quote=“Auburney”]sorry Captain! I do tend to ramble on a bit, did I mention that? :blush:

Seems like this didn’t really come out as an Introduction so much as it became a full-blown in-medias-res discussion…[/quote]
Heh. One might say that this sort of discussion is the best possible introduction to the indie community… :smiley:

All right, all right … I concede. Of course system matters. If seen as a yes/no question, it’s a bit of a no-brainer. I think the interesting question is the degree to which system matters, and I’m very much on the low end of that scale.

Enter solo gamers, stage left…

Seriously, though, I can’t think of anything else where it’s so hard to find a common denominator. Even defining RPGs is a bit like wrestling with a waterfall, isn’t it?

[quote=“Auburney”]and finally, the new one:

there are some very good examples here, but I’m afraid I’ll have to leave them for a future post. Time to get some work done now, but I’ll be sure to come back to them!
Cheers for bringing them up, anyways :slight_smile:[/quote]
Likewise, time to go do stuff. Cheers, and looking forward to that future post!

Now, to adress -H-'s earlier remarks about:

very true, and one of the core elements of the indie approach as far as I’m concerned.
Because, let’s face it, the whole indie thing is less about cramming Fate points wherever they don’t belong, or inventing crazy new dice mechanics… at its heart, I would say, is this very intention: to simulate fiction (drama, narration) instead / over realism (verisimiltude, physics engines)

Very well put, and not too harshly at all, I feel :slight_smile:

[quote][…example from CoC involving playing with dog Woof and searching through drawers for a knife…]
Playing with Woof has just created a knife.[/quote]
Touché! :smiley:
This is a prime example of where storytelling mechanisms create “illogical” results in a traditional game system.
And it’s illogical indeed, but only because it is emedded in a “physics engine” type of “realism simulating” rules system in the first place. That’s where Simulationsim and Narrativism tend to clash - each follows their own logic, and the apporaches are ultimately incompatible (as your example nicely demonstrates)

Which is incidentally also the reason why I’m not an overly big fan of Savage Worlds and other such “mixed bag” rules systems. I’d say, choose one or the other, but you can’t have a (pseudo-)realistic game that covers it all and has narrative elements included to boot. Something’s gotta give…
And in this case, that something is bound to be the internal logic of the game.

I think that’s what you meant by this, no?
But allow me to rephrase - I’d say, “that’s the causality that comes from mixing a system that aims for simulationist logic with elements of narrativism that directly contradict (or at least
severely undermine) this same logic”

And yes, it’s just a mild example indeed :slight_smile:

Your Mouse Guard example, on the other hand:

[quote]In Mouse Guard, there’s an example where a character fails a spot roll (or whatever it’s called), and instead of seeing the mouse being searched for (which would have been the result of a success), the character only sees the mouse’s overturned cart, since the mouse has, thanks to the failure, been eaten by a snake.

There’s no underlying reality. The mouse isn’t alive, it isn’t dead. It apparently has no separate existence. It’s in some weird Schrödinger’s state, dependent entirely on the character. And that’s just a bit too solipsistic for comfort for me.[/quote]
I’ve got decidedly less problems with his one. Never played MG myself, but heard all kinds of wicked things about it…
The mechanic you describe sounds outrageously abstruse, when heard through the ears of a Simulationist player. But reading it immediately brings a little smile to my face. Why’s that?

Because I seem to be a Narrativist player, and as such I can fully appreciate the idea that “rolls should have concrete results, results that matter for the story being told. Never should it be that “nothing happens” upon a failed (or made) roll. Because that’s boring. And boring isn’t what good stories are made of.”

Thing being, it’s not a Spot Check, not like you would make in D&D it ain’t. It’s a “What Story-Relevant Thing Do I Find Out?” Check. And one way or another, the story will immediately move on from there.
No boring “nope, no trace to be found” from the GM, no stalling, no befuddled or frustrated players… swift story progression, instead!

There really isn’t.
It’s not about Realism. (Or else you wouldn’t play mice who acted as guards for something or other :wink: )
In fact, it’s not even about the kind of realism-by-extension of say, A Bug’s Life or something similar packed into a trad-RPG…

I’d say it’s decidedly more about the kind of story-logic that is often found in dramatic literature or movies.

Like, do you know that spoof video about Lord of the Rings where they basically show them riding the eagles from Elrond’s place to Mordor, dropping the ring into the volcano, then return home safely, going “whew, just imagine we had decided to walk this whole way on foot, instead?!” :smiley:

Why did they not actually do so in the movie? Why were the eagles not available that early in the story?
Because it would not have been dramatically appropriate, now would it?

On a related note, why are the Nazgul so weak in the beginning? Aragorn defeats all nine of them at Weathertop! Why then, can he not do so later on?
Well, granted, there is a thin semblance of “fantastic realism” provided by the story, here: As Sauron gets stronger, his minions do so as well. And because he is still very weak in the beginning, some where the Nazgul…

Okay, sounds quasi-realistic… but still… if it would have been dramatically appropriate to have it any other way, Tolkien would have probably written some other “excuse” in there for things to be as they are.
Because the main motivation, in a story, has to be “what makes sense for the story”.

And stories behave rather differently from real life, else most of them would simply not be worth telling :slight_smile:

So, “Gandalf and Elrond (and a couple of local resident elvish wizards of mid-level power) combining their powers in order to summon the eagles that early on in the narration” did not happen, because it would have ruined the narration.

Even though it should have been physically, and magically, have been possible for them to do just that at just that moment. According to hardcore realism, that is.
And indeed, this (or someting like it) is what your typical D&D group might attempt when faced with comparable circumstances…

(not to turn this into a D&D-bashing, here, mind you. Groups in GURPS, Shadowrun or WoD might equally well think along the same patterns. “Realistic” logic as the foundation for RPG rules is deeply ingrained in the hobby at large.)

Whew, Jesus this is one long page! But I love the discussion guys, keep it up…

Basically, Indie games are just rules-lite. That’s all I’ve managed to understand so far. As for CoC 7e, I’ve read all the controversy surrounding the proposed changes. The “Luck” mechanic being the main sticking point.

-H-'s example of finding a knife due to rubbing a dogs tummy is a little tenuous in my opinion. This criticism could be applied to any number of scenarios in any number of systems. You hit the dragon because you rolled a 19 instead of an 18, due to the fact that you ate a blade of grass and it gave you a +1 to your roll. Not dying due to rolling your required con target number. etc. etc.

The connections mechanic is a good idea I feel. As in Trail of Cthulhu. By spending time with your connections (or mentioning them during a scenario) you gain bonuses or penalties for your character. It’s encouraging the player to think about their character and their characters actions.

It’s no secret that I find Pathfinder/3.5 incredibly bloated. The fact that there’s a ‘rule for everything’ is as much of a con as it is a pro. It’s more mechanics than story. But still, I play in a PF group and I really enjoy it. But I prefer the group more than the system.

Hey, beats Obama vs. Romney for entertainment value any day… :smiley:

I wouldn’t really say that… Call of Cthulhu, for example, has quite a bit less in the way of rules than most indie game.

These are entirely different things, however. Finding a magic object, be it a blade of grass or whatever, that makes you more proficient in combat is perfectly logical within many magical worlds. In this case, there’s a direct causality: Eat Blade of Combat Prowess --> Get better in combat.

In the case of Woof and the knife, on the other hand, there’s no logical causality within the game world. The dog has absolutely nothing to do with the knife. That’s the difference, and it’s a pretty fundamental one.

If there’s one message to Lovecraft’s writing, it’s that the universe is big and bleak and incomprehensible and above all, doesn’t care about puny insignificant little you. The connections mechanism means that if you do good and call up mom and ask about her arthritis, good things will happen. The universe will take care of you. I’m not really sure something like that has a place in a Lovecraftian game…

(Ruh-roh, hope we haven’t scared Neil off from this discussion now… :mrgreen: )

Anyway, lots more on all that Auburney wrote, including endless rambling about Tolkien’s eagles, later…

I suppose “Karma” would be a better description of the luck mechanic. What I’m getting as is that the mechanic encourages players to think about what their character holds dear to them. Don’t forget it also works the other way and mythos knowledge corrupts characters connections.

There’s a few things in CoC that don’t really apply to Lovecraft. One of them being firearms. Check out the massive section on firearms in 6e. Everything’s statted to the max. If the universe doesn’t care about people, it shouldn’t care about the difference in damage between a Desert Eagle and an M1911…gö? :wink:

Does karma really make sense in a Lovecraftian game, though? Isn’t that pretty much the exact opposite of what Call of Cthulhu is all about?

Besides, if you have to have a mechanic that rewards such things, why not tie it into sanity or something similar? Wouldn’t it make more sense for petting your puppy to soothe your psyche than to mystifyingly create knives in houses on the other side of town?

Agreed. Precisely why I still use the third edition book. One half-page table of firearms, about the same size and relevance as the table on city populations in 1920 (where Vienna has the same size as Tokyo).

Well, 7E is the only edition with a luck mechanic thereby it’s the most lovecraftian edition

in every single Lovecraft story; sooner or later, one’s luck runs out…

amiright?

I absolutely agree with you, that’s a great way to make people act in character and care about their ingame fluff…

but -H- also has got a point I guess, as especially in Cthulhu related stories… what with the uncaring universe and all… shouldn’t players rather get bonus points for, I dunno, alienating other people (NPCs!), or demonstrating how the universe is morally blank and devoid of ethics and all…?

That would probably be a better fit, thematically. Then again, its in the human nature to try and connect to each other (and to their dogs). It would probably be the game’s job (and therefore the GM’s job, really) to emphasize the pointlessness of these base human instincts?

I agree. Not that a good GM can’t deliver a good story anyway, mind you. Many of the best GMs really excel at that.

But the game’s rules don’t actively support any of that, it is solely in the hands and in the responsibility of the GM to accomplish “storytelling”. Or not. Playing it strictly “by the book”, you can just as well get “just dungeon crawling” out of it.

Well, no. And yes. :smiley: Many indie games are indeed rather on the rules-lite side of things, but that’s not their defining characteristic I believe.

Really, they try to remedy the aforementioned Pathfinder (and D&D, and WoD, and GURPS, and Shadowrun…) problem of having the rules “simulate reality” and leaving “story” up to the GM.

Therefore, a good Nar-game (a narrativistically oriented RPG) will try to have rules that actively support the emergence of a story thorugh the act of playing the game.

An example I read recently would be Slasher Flick (by Spectrum Games), an RPG that emulates horror movies á la Friday 13th, Nightmare on Elmstreet, Scream etc.
This neaty-sounding little game is divided into three Acts, like a theatre play or indeed like many movies. In it, the Killer (á la Jason, Freddy…) does not have any stats in Act 1. This is because it is simply not possible to kill or defeat him that early in the story. The only options at that point are to escape from him (or her, or it), or to be killed in some gory fashion.
Later on, in Act 2, the Killer does get stats, and can now be confronted with different possible outcomes. In Act 3, then, the rules change again. The Killer is now more dangerous even than before, but the (surviving) characters are stronger as well. Usually, only one or two characters will survive, but they have a good chance of defeating the Killer in the end - although, as we all know, it is more than likely that he might not be dead after all, and may return at some point in the future…

All this does not strictly simulate reality. It rather emulates the conventions of the Slasher Flick genre - thereby making sure that a story of this type will emerge through playing of that game.

And yes, there are indie games like this that are very much not rules-lite. Dogs in the Vineyard, for example, has upwards of 200 pages of rulebook to it, as does Apocalypse World…

I’m in complete agreement about this one! :slight_smile:

[quote]Well, 7E is the only edition with a luck mechanic thereby it’s the most lovecraftian edition
in every single Lovecraft story; sooner or later, one’s luck runs out…[/quote]
This is an interesting point, though…!
The whole luck mechanic could in this sense be viewed as an ingenious emulation of “while you might think the universe is going to take care of you, just wait until at some point it doesn’t…” :smiling_imp:

Been a bit busy, but wanted to get back to this interesting discussion…

I absolutely agree with you, that’s a great way to make people act in character and care about their ingame fluff…[/quote]
I suppose you’re right, but the idea that you have to bribe roleplayers to roleplay has always rubbed me the wrong way. Shouldn’t roleplaying be it’s own reward? Maybe that’s too idealistic; I don’t know.

Besides, it doesn’t exactly conform to the principle of player empowerment, does it?

[quote=“Neil”]Well, 7E is the only edition with a luck mechanic thereby it’s the most lovecraftian edition
in every single Lovecraft story; sooner or later, one’s luck runs out…[/quote]
The older editions had a luck mechanic, too…

This is something I simply don’t understand.

Perhaps the most basic tenet of the indie movement is just this: simulationism and narrativism clash. They’re mutually incompatible. They’re opposite ends of a scale (or points on a triangle, or whatever). And so on.

Yet this makes no sense. Internal logic is not the opposite of good storytelling - it’s the prerequisite for good storytelling. Without internal consistency, there is no story. (Well, aside from parody, absurdism, and so on.) None. Without internal logic, any attempt at telling a story is doomed to hopeless, ridiculous failure.

I love the indie movement’s attempt to facilitate good storytelling. But when exactly did the logic and consistency that provides the foundation that all the drama rests on become the enemy?

Maybe I’m just too stupid to understand this, but it strikes me as completely nonsensical. I can’t even imagine a thought process that would lead to this conclusion.

Just as an aside, I really don’t like Mouse Guard, and not because of its storytelling mechanics. Discussion for a beer sometime…

I disagree.

Let’s say the character is defusing a bomb or something, and there are wires to cut and buttons to push and a timer that’s running down and if the hero doesn’t defuse the darn thing, London’s going to go ka-boom. When the character desperately cuts a wire, what’s the most interesting thing that can happen?

The answer is nothing. Because then you’ve doubled the tension: Now there are fewer options and time’s almost up and your hands are shaking from that first attempt… It’s a simple trick that can be wonderfully effective, and I’m not really sure why storytelling games deprive themselves of such a nifty storytelling technique.

[quote=“Auburney”]I’d say it’s decidedly more about the kind of story-logic that is often found in dramatic literature or movies.

Like, do you know that spoof video about Lord of the Rings where they basically show them riding the eagles from Elrond’s place to Mordor, dropping the ring into the volcano, then return home safely, going “whew, just imagine we had decided to walk this whole way on foot, instead?!” :smiley:

Why did they not actually do so in the movie? Why were the eagles not available that early in the story?
Because it would not have been dramatically appropriate, now would it?[/quote]
OK, the eagles. I haven’t seen that video, unfortunately, but it sounds quite funny.

But why is that point about the eagles so famous? Because it’s a great example of storytelling? Because Tolkien masterfully and deliberately decided that flying the eagle shuttle wouldn’t have been dramatically appropriate? No. People still bring it up because it’s an oversight in an otherwise fine story.

It’s a flaw. A wart. A blemish. We forgive it because we love the story, but it’s not a good thing.

And this is what storytelling mechanics would have us emulate? I don’t get it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love and admire quite a few indie games. They’re often a breath of fresh air, and we should be thankful for them. All our games, including traditional ones, have improved since indies showed up on the scene.

So yeah, I like a lot of things about indie games. I just think the underlying philosophy behind the movement is batshit crazy. :slight_smile:

Hi, and welcome back to the discussion :slight_smile: glad you missed it enough to make you wanna return to it :smiley:

true enough, but I think this is not a problem of the luck mechanic in and on itself. It is a problem of the systems a luck mechanic like that is implemented in.
Oftentimes, it seems as if the luck mechanic is supposed to be the “fix” for a system which would otherwise somehow not encourage its players to be overly immersed or invested in their characters and their fluff…

In such cases (D&D and SR both come to mind), there are often players who “play the rules, not the game”, as the saying goes. Highly crunchy simulationist systems, especially those with a strong focus on tactical combat, tend to do this to certain types of players, apparently. And the luck mechanic (and similar “stay in character already, will you?!” gadgets) is often apparently meant to “fix” this symptom…

Which is why I’m not a big fan of games who seem to need such “patches”. Any game that doesn’t sufficiently pull players into the fluff and all that… probably can’t be fixed with gadgets like that, anyway :wink:

Or, to put it in your own words; if you have to “bribe” them, something is wrong already.

Then again, there are games where such mechanics are not patches added on to something that existed before them and just turned out to be less-than-satisfactory for players and GMs in practice. With “good” games like that, you’ll see “luck”-type mechanics implemented from the ground up, an essential part of the system, and not just some cheap (and currently trendy, 'cause its ever-so-indie) quick-fix…

TRoS would be an example for that (with its Spiritual Attributes).

of course not, but it’s not about player empowerment, in this case. Simulationist systems of the kind I rant about above are not about player empowerment to begin with, and neither are their supposed fixes.

In that sense, I suppose I should rephrase my earlier statement (which you quoted above) to say: “it’s a great way to make people act in character and care about their ingame fluff… IF you need to resort to that, let’s say because for some reason the rest of your game doesn’t do this already anyway…”

(which is where the term “player empowerment” would need to be defined for the purpose of this conversation. Because its a tricky concept, really. I have at times found that pen-and-paper style rules can work real well to empower players, if and when these players come from very wishy-washy rules systems, or from freeform RPGing. Some players I have seen have massively relished the fixed framework of possibilities and calculatable chances that elaborate, simulationist rules systems give them, as opposed to play under the judgement of “whatever the GM comes up with”, all the time.
Then again, I have seen players feel all empowered when first playing a game that had Narrativism as its Creative Agenda, feeling incredibly liberated by the switch from “internal logic (rules) + reasonable randomness (dice) = what happens in the game” to “what do I want my character’s story to be about = what helps shape the collective story of the party”)

Having mentioned Creative Agenda in there, (hah! way to make you read my extended ramblings in brackets, eh? :wink: ) there’s a reason we call the Simulationism-Narrativism-Gamism triangle that. Each of these (Sim, Nar and Gam in the following) is a possible Creative Agenda, not a One True Way of RPGing!

Creative Agenda as in, what do players and GMs want out of their game(s)?
We (indie fanboys) divide them roughly along the following lines:

Players who wanna “win” against challenges, solve problems, overcome obstacles etc. – GAM – not necessarily with dicerolls only, there are also gamist players who enjoy resolving complex problems in-game with their creative approaches or clever ideas, for example. GM’s of this ilk usually like to provide challenges, and wnat to make the game, not necessarily “hard”, but let’s say “properly demanding” for players.
Catchphrase: Step On Up (to the challenge) :slight_smile:

Players who wanna “immerse” themselves in the fictional worlds created through RPGing, who wanna experience what it would be like to be their characters, and like their games to adhere rather closely to common-sense realism – SIM – that will often be “fantastic realism”, of course :slight_smile: but players of this ilk will have a hard time accepting that, rules-wise, playing with a dog can create a knife in a drawer :wink:
GM’s of this persuasion will often create elaborate worlds for their group to play in, have detailed NPCs and locations prepared, and like to have everyone talk in in-game speech styles.
Catchphrase: The Right To Dream [for reasons i myself don’t completely understand, admittedly. I would have rather called it The Joys of (Fantastic) Realism, or something :slight_smile: )

And then there are the NAR players and GMs, but I think I may have rambled enough about those already…

to get this back on track, then, a little quote perhaps? :slight_smile:

[quote]Auburney wrote:
That’s where Simulationsim and Narrativism tend to clash - each follows their own logic, and the approaches are ultimately incompatible (as your example nicely demonstrates)

This is something I simply don’t understand.

Perhaps the most basic tenet of the indie movement is just this: simulationism and narrativism clash. They’re mutually incompatible. They’re opposite ends of a scale (or points on a triangle, or whatever). And so on.

Yet this makes no sense. Internal logic is not the opposite of good storytelling - it’s the prerequisite for good storytelling. Without internal consistency, there is no story. (Well, aside from parody, absurdism, and so on.) None. Without internal logic, any attempt at telling a story is doomed to hopeless, ridiculous failure.

I love the indie movement’s attempt to facilitate good storytelling. But when exactly did the logic and consistency that provides the foundation that all the drama rests on become the enemy?

Maybe I’m just too stupid to understand this, but it strikes me as completely nonsensical. I can’t even imagine a thought process that would lead to this conclusion.[/quote]
All of this makes a lot of sense. Let me clarify: ultimately incompatible was used to mean “you can’t have them both running on 100% and still both work”. That’s when they clash. And yes, then it is unavoidable, and they are mutually incompatible…

… and of course internal logic is a prerequisite and a vehicle for good stroytelling! It’s just that traditional RPGs needed to cut back on their (unspoke and unwritten but oftentimes clearly perceived) assumption of 100% internal logic, namely in order to allow the storytelling to come to the foreground a little more.

You know those groups who do play out a lot of “everyday life” type stuff in their games? Going strictly by Simulationism, this is what everyone would have to do an absolute majority of the time. Because only then is it “100% internally logical”
Instead, however, most groups (=GMs) skip to the “juicy parts” of the game, i.e. they tend to e.g handwave or greatly accerlerate issues such as shopping, resting, researching and other everyday stuff in order to get to the adventure part of the story a bit quicker!

This is already a small dose of Narrativism in practice. (One which I don’t doubt many gaming tables out there regularly see.) Because really, this can be identified as the Creative Agenda of “why are we all here guys and girls? Oh, that’s right - to play an exiting and wonderful story together!”
And it is exactly this goal that is pursued by a GM who “wings it” for the more boring parts in order to focus everyone on the next exiting thing to happen (“yeah, you can get all that… let’s say it’s the next day and you are all refueled and ready to go?”).
And any player who doesn’t actively protest “but hey, my shopping list would include three more talks with various merchants across the city! Let’s stay realistic, here, shall we?!”

So no, the two approaches are certainly not enemies. Even if at times it may sound a lot like they (or rather their various fans, devotees, whatever) tend to attack each other a lot!
It is my belief that they have to go hand in hand, for a balanced (=satisfactory for all participants) RPG to work.

There are many example of “newer” indie-games that go back to using a lot of Sim elements, DitV and ApocWorld being two of them. Only they don’t let the Nar slip back out of focus because of it. True hybrids, you could say :slight_smile:

And in fact, I think that the history of RPG development over the last couple of years has been comparable to a swinging pendulum, wildly seeking out different directions and only slowly finding its middle ground. The initial “push” on this “pendulum” was, of course, the emergence of the first few “radically indie” games. (and the “preachings” of their authors :slight_smile: make no mistake, i am a fan of the indies, but Ron Edwards is a raving lunatic nonetheless :smiley: I kinda see him as being for RPGs what Sigmund Freud was for psychology… an inspired groundbreaker, but certainly not the sanest or most easily digestable theorist… )

gotta go, quote more from you later :slight_smile:

Alrik said, re: Dogs in the Vinyard:

[quote]The game mechanics reward me for escalating in most cases. Now, playing a fanatic mormon teen equipped with the god given right to judge and even harm people didn’t really seem to work for me to keep me interested in the moral issues these stories tended to generate. As I understand DitV, the game wants us to create situations in which the integrity and morality of our little Dogs are at stake due to the unbearable reality of the wild west and their wicked towns. However the game rewards me for doing the exact opposite.

Maybe it’s just the setting… or the religious aspect, I don’t know. But DitV doesn’t succeed in making me as a player question the choice to escalate conflicts that much… And in the end all you get are pretty mediocre stories at best with (admittedly) neat dice mechanics.

But I haven’t given up on DitV yet. Maybe I just need to play it again. It’s been a while…[/quote]
Interesting review… my players loved it on the other hand :slight_smile:

let’s see… the mechanic reward you for escalating, that’s certainly true. Although I’ve rather always seen it as “they tempt you to escalate”
For what is “reward”, actually?
In DitV, reward is player-defined as I understood it!

That is to say, yeah you can solve most problems very efficiently with shooting at people. But is this always what you feel to be the proper approach? The game asks its players this, and then lets them make their own choicses about it.

I found this to be very intriguing, with how much power the players have. In which other game can you enter a town, sniff around for a few hours, then proceed to drag the mayor out of his house onto the street and shoot him in the face right then and there - and get away with it being completely justified?

The gist is, this game doesn’t want players/characters to feel bad about the moral problems created by the unbearable Old West setting. It wants them to grab these problems by the throat, throw them through a saloon window and hang them on the nearest tree.

Whatever the characters decide is right, will be right. Because they are God’s Watchdogs. They simply cannot do wrong, cause their actions define right and wrong, with themselves always on the “right” side of that equation.
Which does interesting things to players, I have found :slight_smile:

After all, you then have to live with yourself having done whatever it was you did “in order to save this wretched townsfolk form their own vices”.
And then, in the next town, the moral questioning will be refined… :smiley:
(GM: “so you shot this lady in the last town for her adultery… what are you gonna do with this young lad right here for … let’s say, stealing apples?”)
(or also: "oh, so you let that old dude off the hook despite his heavy drinking and wife-beating? Let’s see how you deal with this here guy who murdered his wife and beats his lover. Let’s further say the murder was semi-accidental… what will your sentence be?)

This is a game that asks the player (not the character, notably!) “what would you do [in certain situations emergent from the gameplay] if you were judge, jury and executioner? How would you use that power, if you did not have any repercussions to fear - because you are the law!”

I have always felt that these were the core themes of DitV, with the investigative play (escalation and all) as a mere lead-up to the really juicy themes…

all imho, of course :smiley:

Wholeheartedly agreed about the dice mechanic, though - it is indeed very neat with the dicepoker-like back-and-forth exchanges. Get’s people to tell stories, instead of worrying about +1 bonuses and the like… :slight_smile: