Indie Game of the Month

[quote]I kind of hate to bring this up, but this also predates indie games. Rune comes to mind; there may have been others.
[/quote]
oh sure, but then I’m not really a proponent of the “Indie games invented everything anew” philosophy :wink:

Haven’t really heard of Rune, beyond its title… care to elaborate on it a bit further? :slight_smile:

What I do think is special with City of Birds is that the rotating GM role(s) are not merely a “gimmick” to go with an otherwise fully fleshed-out rule system (resolution, advancement etc.). In CoB, that is the entirety of the system…
But maybe Rune is like that as well?

[quote=“Auburney”]What I do think is special with City of Birds is that the rotating GM role(s) are not merely a “gimmick” to go with an otherwise fully fleshed-out rule system (resolution, advancement etc.). In CoB, that is the entirety of the system…
But maybe Rune is like that as well?[/quote]
I found the “Serpent & Tiger” part by far more interresting, than the rotating DMs.
(that’s why I was remembering Panty Explosion)

p.s.: I have never heard of a Rune RPG myself

It’s a game about Vikings published in 2001; I believe it was a video game tie-in. One of Robin Laws’s projects. I think there was a bit of Ars in the rules as well.

Got it !

The Cardinal’s Blades

The game I spoke about to some of you, XVIIth century pulp action, musketeers style, with dragons that are more into politics than pure beasts… and a tarot-based game mechanic. Looking forward to playing it if some are interested.

looks and sounds VERY AWESOME

[quote=“Melchior”]Got it !

The Cardinal’s Blades

The game I spoke about to some of you, XVIIth century pulp action, musketeers style, with dragons that are more into politics than pure beasts… and a tarot-based game mechanic. Looking forward to playing it if some are interested.[/quote]

I’d love to try that, if I only had the time right now!

I am currently reading it. I’ll probably try a french-speaking session first, since the system is a bit strange, and it’ll be easier to get it that way. I’ll then post about thursday’s sessions (probably 2/3) :wink:

It certainly looks awesome and it sounds very intriguing…

And so it begins … :mrgreen:

But I’m also thinking about planning it for two sessions, next thursday and the one after… :smiley:

The system is really… different. I must read it again :wink:

I’ll give here some more info about the Cardinal’s Blades (les Lames du Cardinal)… I’ll start with the story itself, then I’ll move to presenting some elements of the system.

Paris, 1633.
Louis XIII reigns over the destiny of France, but it’s Richelieu, the Cardinal, who actually governs the realm. He is one of the most powerful man in France, and protects the country, the King, and his own influence by all means: assassination, espionage, and war. The throne of France, the King, the Cardinal, but also Europe as a whole, are the targets of a lot of ennemies. The Thirty Years’ War is raging, and France will soon take its part in it. Conflicts between Catholics and Protestants are still vivid. Many political or intellectual adversaries try to make their way to the top, for money or glory… but these are still ‘common’ foes.
More powerful, and harder to control, is the influence of the dragons. These fearsome creatures, some born many generations before now, live hidden among humans, planning dark plots to regain power. For the Newly-born, the human form is more natural than the draconic one: still, they are more powerful than humans. They know that by confronting humanity face to face, they would soon desappear. Therefore, they are more into politics than war, living and conspiring in the European Courts already. Many humans follow, consciously or not, the plans of the Dragons. Court of Spain has already fallen into their clutches…
Dracs, the former slave people for the dragons, now live among the humans too, being mercenaries and soldiers, thus following their violent nature.

This year, Richelieu, feeling the danger for France, decided to play his best card. The time has come to re-unite a secret elite of unusual adventurers, both elegants and courageous. Under the command of Capitaine La Fargue, he called the Cardinal’s Blades to action again.

After a year, the Blades had managed to avoid a complete destruction of Paris, and the installation of a secret draconic lodge in France… but victory came at a price. Some of the Blades died, and the group itself was disbanded, once more… (Read the Pierre Pevel Novels for more on this :smiley: )

Paris, 1643.
The Cardinal died one year ago. Shortly before that, though, he called a former Blade, Capitaine Laincourt, to identify new men and women, brave and strong enough to serve France, the King and the Cardinal, once more…

Cardinal Mazarin is the new minister of France. He inherited the powerful weapon created by Richelieu: the Blades. He has a lot to do. France and its interests are threatened by many enemies, first and foremost the Dragons of the Court of Spain. Surprisingly for the Cardinal Mazarin, Laincourt accepted the mission: after all, “Once, Forever” is the motto of the Blades. Laincourt is now looking for new Blades.

Will you be ready to fight for France, against powerful men and vicious dragons ?

I am currently reading the Wielstadt trilogy, by Pevel too, which takes place in Germany. Just to have something like a German/austrian background for you to play… I hope I’ll be able to propose something in Wien and in Austria, someday… So you won’t be forced to defend my country only :smiley:

Some elements about the system, now.

Here is the Character sheet (in French, I’ll produce a translation for it, don’t worry)…

The system is played using Tarot cards… special ones. The four colors are replaced by the ones you see on the character sheet : from left to right, griffe (claw), souffle (breath), sang (blood) and écaille (scale). The heads are the same, exept one : King, Queen, Knight (C = Cavalier) and the strange one : Vyverne which is this :
(used as a flying horse, then)…

Over the symbols are four words : powerful for claw, “vif” (both quick in mind and physically) for breath, Galant (gallant, courteous) for blood, and Fin (fine, subtle) for scale. Those are the characteristics of the character. They range from 1 to 3 points (4 for dracs).

Under the symbols are some competences. For example, horse riding is under Claw/powerful. They range from 0 to something like 6/7 at the beginning. When trying to resolve an action, a player draws as many cards as his score in the competence. Each card with the same color (black or red) as the symbol above the competence is a success. Each head of the same symbol is two success. So for horse riding : if I have 3, I draw three cards. If I get 4 of blood (red), Vyverne of claw (black), King of breath (black), that makes 3 success (2 for the vyverne, 1 for the King which is a black card, 0 for the red card).

You need to get more success than a certain number (decided by the DM) to pass the test. If your competence is twice, or above, the number of success needed to pass the test, it is automatic success. You may discard and draw again as many card as your characteristic if you want. So there : (I have 2 in Powerful) I discard the 4 of blood, draw again: 3 of scales. Nothing more.

You can see, in the middle of the character sheet, a sword (Rapier)… Two letters : T for tenacity, V for vitality. Tenacity may be used to improve your chances in tests, Vitality of basically your life points. It’s the same scale, so the more you use your Tenacity, the less Vitality you have left for taking hits during combats, for exemple… I like this :wink:

An example of using your vitality : before making a test, you use 1 point : you increase your competence by 2 points. You may have an automatic success at this point. You can also do this after seeing the result of a normal test.

There are some Arcanes in the deck, and players also have personal Arcanes. You can use them as a head of the color you want, or use them as a tenacity point. Using an Arcane sends it in the deck. Drawing an arcane has different consequences, depending on the influence the Arcane has on the character (holy, opposed, neutral) : loose a Tenacity point, no success (neutral), can be used like a personal Arcane (holy), loose a tenacity point and fail the test (opposed).

So the players have to think about whether or not, and when, using a personnal arcane, since the impact may affect everybody in return.

These are for ‘normal tests’. Combats are ‘dramatic encounters’, and are treated differently.

Let’s talk about combat. Draw your rapier, shoot in the stool in front of you to distract the ennemy and lunge!

Fencing is a special competence, so it is not among the others. When creating the character, you decide what is the fencing style of your character : german school (powerful, claw), french school (quick, breath), italian school (Gallant, blood) or spanish (fine, scale).

Each combat is devided into assaults, each assault is devided into six rounds : prime, seconde, tierce, quarte, quinte, sixte.

Each player draws a number of cards, at the beginning of prime, equal to its Fencing score. He will use these cards during the whole assault to fight. Reds are for defence, blacks are for attack. Heads of your color (the color of your school) are special moves (hanging to the ceiling light to jump through a window, etc), counting as two attacks/defences. You can play one card per round (prime, seconde, etc).

You ability to attack depends on the fact you have the hand, or not. If you have it, you may attack. If you play a card between 1 and 7 included, you give the hand: your opponent may attack in the following round. Otherwise, you keep the hand, and may continue your attacks in the next round.

The GM do not play with cards, instead the opponents have a fixed number of attack and defences, depending on their strengh… but there is usually a lot of them, and… GM also have some “bad points” (called points of jusquiame) which may be used to give bonus to the foes…

Players may use various options to improve their chances (same as normal test, more or less), but like for the normal tests, drawing an Arcane is not always good :wink:

Each school also have some fencing specialities : feint & moves. They help the player with his cards (feints) or are breathtaking actions that give a huge advantage in combat (moves). The moves are used when a player played, during the assault, a certain number of heads of its color (scale, blood, breath or claw)…

Dramatic oppositions like the one we use in combat (with assaults & rounds) may be used for other competences (social opposition, pursuit, etc)… they all use the same system.

Hope this gives you some info about the way the system works :wink:

And remember : Once, Forever!

For those who are interested, here is a link to an English version of the Character sheet. Since English is far from being my native language, there are probably some words that are not perfect : feel free to suggest any if you think of better solutions :wink:

drive.google.com/file/d/0B0XCWP … sp=sharing

The pdf is ugly on google drive : you can download it (looks better, ie normal) and it is possible to edit the infos :smiley:

very nice rundown on the game there! I’m really looking forward to try it out sometime.

With pleasure!

For my first Blades, and those who are interested:
The possible actions during a combat (once again, it is better to download the file, so the colors are right)

And the way the tests work:

Any question and/or suggestions on my translation… feel free to do so!

Very interesting - thanks for sharing this!

I liked the setting very much, although I’m still a bit uncertain about the mechanics. That might just be because I’m biased, however: Whenever a system uses cards, I always feel like I ought to be counting, which is something I’d rather avoid.

In any case, I’d love to play another session to give the full combat rules a whirl!

I totally understand… Every time I see a system based on cards, I think that I should count to increase the odds, since the system “allows” it… Then I remember I am too lazy to count, and I just take the cards as they come :smiley:

To give the players some more info about the feints & special moves allowed by the various fencing schools, here is the translation of everything.

As a reminder: you may choose as many moves&feints as half your score of fencing (rounded up). Then, Simon & Chylli would choose 3 moves&feints in the German list, Thopthes 4 in the German list, & H 3 moves in the Italian School.

Taking into account your score (6 or 7), your ability to take a deep breath (discard & draw 3 cards), the use of Tenacity (draw two more cards)… the 2 & 3 heads’ moves are quite able to be made.

Feints may be played once during each assault, without condition.

Spanish

Feints

Dexterity
Draw two cards at anytime during an assault. You may keep the red “scales” cards, and must discard any other card.

Parade
discard a black “claw” card: it becomes a red “scale” card of the same value

Magical circle
Instead of playing or discarding one red “scales” card, you may keep it for the coming assault

Untouchable
If you do not have the lead at the beginning of a given assault, and if your first played card is a red “scales” card, you immediately benefit from a free parry.

Special moves

Botte de De Torre (2 heads)
You make a very precise parry. Your opponent looses all his defenses.

Botte de Narvaez (2 heads)
Your parry destabilise all your opponents: they all loose one attack

Botte de Cervantès (3 heads)
You immediately disarm your opponent.

Botte d’Almadès (3 heads)
You move faster than any of your opponent, and may inflict damages. Any red “scale” head played during this assault inflict one point of damage to any of your opponent (you choose).

Botte de Carranza (4 heads)
You immediately neutralise your opponent. He lays in front of you, unable to move or unconscious.

Italian

Feints

Volte
If you play two consecutive red “blood” cards, you may draw one card

Main-gauche
If you have a main-gauche (parrying dagger) and a rapier, you may play a red “blood” card as a black “breath” card of the same value: you attack with your main-gauche.

Dodge
Play any red “blood” card: you take the lead, notwithstanding the value of the card played

Braid
Instead of playing or discarding one red “blood” card, you may keep it for the coming assault

Special moves

Botte d’Agrippa (2 heads)
Your movements are followed by a powerful volte: you hit multiple opponents. Any red “blood” head played during the assault counts as a free attack on one or more of your opponents.

Botte de Fabris (2 heads)
You make an evasive volte. The combat is left behind: you are out of range for your opponent, and you keep the lead

Botte de Viggiani (3 heads)
Your opponents are discouraged and exhausted by your habilety. All your opponents loose one tenacity point.

Botte de Silvie (3 heads)
You make a circular move that end behind one of your opponent’s back. If you have black “claw” cards or black “breath” cards left, you may use all or part of them on your opponent: he cannot parry.

Botte de Marozzo (4 heads)
You make a beautiful volte, which cuts your opponent’s throat or decapitates him.

German

Feints

Brawl
You fight with your sword and your fists. You may change the value of one of your black “claw” card by one point.

Charge
At the beginning of a combat, if you have the lead, you may play a black “claw” card: notwithstanding its value, you keep the lead.

Tactic
Instead of playing or discarding one black “claw” card, you may keep it for the coming assault

Main-gauche
If you have a main-gauche (parrying dagger) and a rapier, you may play a black “claw” card. It is considered as being a red “scale” card of the same value. The played black “claw” card still counts as a black “claw” card if needed for making a special move (botte).

Special moves

Botte de Ringeck (2 heads)
You endlessly hit your opponent: he looses all his attacks.

Botte de Kal (2 heads)
You move past your opponent’s weapon, and give him a powerful kick. He is lying on the ground, some distance away, and lost a defense. If you have more than one opponent, your throw him in their direction, creating a brief chaos among them. They all loose one defense, for this assault, and you take (or keep) the lead.

Botte de Talhoffer (3 heads)
You give a very powerful hit to your opponent: you inflict 3 injuries, ignoring armour, and impossible to parry or to dodge.

Botte de Liechtenauer (3 heads)
You attack with the edge of your weapon, hitting everything in the path of your blade. All the black “claw” heads already played during the assault count as an attack. You may choose who you hit, and how many times.

Botte de Von Dantzig (4 heads)
You immediately knock-out or kill one of your opponents by hitting his head.

French

Feints

Lunge
Play any black “breath” card: you take the lead, notwithstanding the value of the card played

Swing
If you play two consecutive black “breath” cards, you may draw one card

Manage your strenght
Instead of playing or discarding one black “breath” card, you may keep it for the coming assault

Mislead
Play a red “blood” card. It is considered as being a black “breath” card of the same value

Special moves

Botte de Le Perche (2 heads)
You use your sword to make a circular move around your opponent’s weapon. If he does not immediately play a defense, he is disarmed. You keep the lead.

Botte de Desbordes (2 heads)
You are at ease in the combat: you find a renewed energy. You gain one tenacity point.

Botte de Besnard (3 heads)
You hit one of your opponent’s artery: he starts loosing his blood. He immediately looses one tenacity/vitality point, then one per coming assault.

Botte de Sainct-Didier (3 heads)
You are unbelievably fast. You immediately gain 3 “fictive” breath cards, which you can immediately use on one or more of your opponent(s), or one one opponent by throwing your sword at him. You loose your sword (it is stick into your opponent’s body)

Botte de La Touche (4 heads)
You immediately kill one of your opponents plunging to his head or chest.

ps. once again, I translated this quickly to give it to you… feel free to suggest any better translation.