Hey everyone! Newbie here!

Hey guys,

I’m Nicolas, new to the DnD world and already hoooooooked!!!
Last summer I went on vacation with my brother and his friends and they introduced me to the game. I had heard of it but never found someone to play with (my brother lives in another country) so this was my first time and I absolutely loved it. I decided to go for a spore druid and I’m often looking at my character sheet and my miniature figure that we all had made and I really miss it.
I will be moving to Vienna in a few months and I wanted to ask around if there is any book you could recommend so that I can get a better understanding of the overall gameplay. I only played once and everyone else was super experienced so they would help me out all the time but since I want to join a group eventually I was wondering what I can do to up my game…
Also: it might be a little early but let me know if your group is looking to “adopt” a new member. I’m going to move to Vienna in June or July (still depends on a few exams).
I was also wondering what language you all use while playing DnD? English? German?
The one time I played with my bro we went with English.

Stay safe everyone!

Hey :slight_smile:
Welcome to the community and (soon) to Vienna :slight_smile:

If you don’t already have I’d recommend to start with the basics (so the Player’s Handbook). As for “upping” your game, that will simply come with experience, though there are a lot of great youtubers that are worth a watch every now and then (Nerdarchy, How to be a great GM, Dungeon Dudes, … to name just a few)

I personally play in english usually, though sometimes I slip into german - usually when I can’t think of a word and I know that at least 1 of the others at the table know german too.
The community tables usually will be in english too, which brings me to the expected recommendation: once you’re in Vienna (and we hopefully were able to resume our weekly tables) feel free to join us at our V.A.L.U.E. games, which basically are oneshot adventures with a fixed ruleset (especially for character creation) that allow you to bring your character to the games of different GMs with different players and still advance the same character.
These V.A.L.U.E. events also have been the starting point for quite a few campaign groups, so I figure they are a good way to find something more longterm.

Hope you’ll have fun with us!

1 Like

Hey thank you for your quick respond!

Well all that sound pretty amazing. So i could bring my spore druid to these V.A.L.U.E. games and play that character in an adventure?
Thanks also for the book and youtube channel recommendations!

cu soon

with the spore druid i’d have to say technically no, it depends on which rules were used when building the character, but rebuilding it under V.A.L.U.E. rules at level 1 and then advance them through V.A.L.U.E. games wouldn’t be a problem

i understand.
is there a site i could visit and read about the V.A.L.U.E. games? rules, meeting point etc?

the draft of season 1 rules (technically never left draft status but we used it for a whole season :smiley: )

whatever changes will be coming in season 2 haven’t been hammered out yet as there will be open discussions once we can meet in person again

thank you very much

i probably should have linked that right from the start … but i’m lazy :smiley:

1 Like