Cthulhu – The forgotten times!

The last couple of weeks I’m thinking about joining/establishing a new RPG group.

Sadly, my bi-weekly crew decided that they want to go back to D&D for a couple of months, which they played for years (so it is their “homeground”). I never played D&D before, so I have no nostalgic feelings for it… I just miss my cthuloid (cthulhu-ish?) horror and the fun of going insane.

So I decided to search some volunteers for a series of one-shots I call “Cthulhu - Forgotten Times”.

The idea is, I’d like to give some minor Cthulhu settings a try. Besides the classic 1920s and 1890s, there are some really interesting adventures and settings that get no love by most Cthulhu hardliners.
“Niemandsland” for example, which is set in WW1, Vietnam, Mittelalter, Katzhulhu, Pirates, maybe something from the cold war era or even NOW. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think most of those settings were exclusively published by the german Cthulhu department.

The only point that makes me nervous is the possible language barrier …
I’m a shy guy, and not really confident in my English skills (at least not enough to GM for “strangers” and native speakers), so I’m not exactly sure how this would work out.

So, basically I just want to see, if some of you would even be interested. If so, I’m sure we can work something out. :wink:

Peace,
Nutz

I would love to do this, and I would be THRILLED to help you with your English if you would be willing to help me a bit with my German :smiley:.

Sounds great, thank you for the offer! I’m sure we could learn a lot from each other and possibly have some fun at the same time!
Let’s see where this thread goes, and how we handle things from there on.

[quote=“Nutzack McKracken”]The idea is, I’d like to give some minor Cthulhu settings a try. Besides the classic 1920s and 1890s, there are some really interesting adventures and settings that get no love by most Cthulhu hardliners.
“Niemandsland” for example, which is set in WW1, Vietnam, Mittelalter, Katzhulhu, Pirates, maybe something from the cold war era or even NOW. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think most of those settings were exclusively published by the german Cthulhu department.[/quote]
Well, to stick up for the English Cthulhu scene, I think most of those were published in English as well, quite a few of them well before the German versions. No Man’s Land predates Niemandsland by a decade or so, Now was definitely a Chaosium thing …

But anyway, yeah, I’m definitely up for a game or two!

[quote="-H-"]
Well, to stick up for the English Cthulhu scene, I think most of those were published in English as well, quite a few of them well before the German versions. No Man’s Land predates Niemandsland by a decade or so, Now was definitely a Chaosium thing …[/quote]

Ok, didn’t know about No Man’s Land. Thanks for letting me know. I don’t follow chaosium closely but normally there is a discussion in the german cthulhu forum, about how simillar/different the book will be when a new source book is coming up. (Also, there are only “original” adventures in Niemandsland, so I have to check out the english version quickly!)

Ofc, I know about NOW (and delta green). I was just mentioning it, because I feel it is a rather unusual setting around here (at least from what i gathered myself).

If you’re interested in unusual settings, one of the best places to look is the two Strange Aeons books. Quite a few fun ones there.

Thanks for the tip –H-!

Strange Aeons 2 sound awesome! Especially the Civil War thing is intriguing.
I guess I have to overcome my dislike for chaosium (I don’t dig most of the covers and I really hate the idea of monographs) and finally order some stuff.

I always wanted to get the Dreamlands book, but sadly the german version was limited and goes for about 100 bucks nowadays. The American version is ugly but affordable!^^

[quote=“Nutzack McKracken”]Thanks for the tip –H-!

Strange Aeons 2 sound awesome! Especially the Civil War thing is intriguing. [/quote]
Happy to run that for you if you’re interested.

From my short time here, I’m getting the impression you’re happy to run everything and anything at all. Which is certainly a good thing.

Edit: Oh and, any places free on this? :'D
Not too much exposure to CoC, but I can learn. That’s apparently the only thing I’m good at.

Thanks for the offer H!
If you have the time and patience to play some more besides your regular games, count me in! (But please, don’t feel obligated if you have enough quality games going on, I don’t want to shoehorn anybody into more work. I know how much stress that potentially can be.)

From my short time here, I’m getting the impression you’re happy to run everything and anything at all. Which is certainly a good thing.[/quote]
Well, not everything… And I’m also not sure this is a good thing…

But let’s give this a shot. Shall we aim for the end of November or beginning of December? Anybody else care to join us?

I can offer my place.
It can handle 4 players and a GM…

Right, let’s get this show on the road. Are you only interested in the Civil War scenario, or anything strange aeon-ish? Let me know and I’ll put up a thread to coordinate participants and dates…

The civil war is original and not too common, though…

Well, there’s the earlier Regiment of Dread (which I highly recommend).

Anyway, just asking. It’s not like I have a strong record of running what I say I’m going to be running, anyway… :wink: