Brainstorming the "big event"

Is this link permanent? Will it still work 2+ months into the future?

Regarding money: as I mentioned months ago before my burnout, it would be safest to create an official Verein, as otherwise SOMEONE has to take personal liability for everything.

I work as Technischer Aussendienst for a company that sells RKSV Tills (Cash registers, Point of Sales, whatever you want to call them) so if it comes to it, I can set up a till to track in and out of stuff. Also know enough about the legal stuff to not get us in trouble xD

I would also offer to DM a newbie table as well as help with organization on the day of.

1 Like

RPGVienna_DragonLogo_final_red.pdf (295.6 KB)
Sorry, just got back and gotta save the .ai file into a .pdf, since illustrator files are forbidden here.

Certainly love the idea of RPG Verein! Should probably discuss this option for later events. Might come handy if we decide get our own place at some point

1 Like

Yes. That’s just a qr code that contains the text
https://www.rpgvienna.com/
No other websites involved.

Shall we arrange an off-line meeting to discuss deteils, brainstorm and maybe divide responcibilities :thinking:? Maybe meeting for a brunch (my brain works best in the morning :laughing:) I would propose a brunch next weekend, but, of course, we can make a poll to find suitable date.

Naturally we can do a meeting online if that suits better :grinning:

Give a like to the post se we can see how many to schedule for :+1:

4 Likes

since I noted the flyer being in German, does this mean you plan the event to be German speaking too instead of English? If English, I’d advise to also make the advertisement in the same language :slightly_smiling_face:

I have not DMed a value game specifically before, but have been Dming for 2.5 years now, so if more DMs are needed… Happy to jump in!

1 Like

Good point. The event is going to be open for anyone to join. So I think we should make it like in regular value games and host the games in english, with perhaps 1 or 2 tables in german only, for those newcommers in vienna who arent that familiar with the english language.

As for flyer design, I would make a second identical flyer in english. I dont think its a good idea to type out the english translation onto the same flyer, that would clutter the flyer with text too much, and I want to be concise. But thoughts and feedback are ofc always welcome.

P.S.: Im going to contact the owner of Sägewerk this or next week to coordinate our plans with them and bring the big event into reality. Wouldnt set a date for it yet though.

2 Likes

The availability of tables in English/German should be indicated - otherwise you get confused people. Having flyers in both languages but without such indicator allows for to many interpretations of intent.

3 Likes

If the general idea is English with a splash of German. I’d just make the design only in English with indeed the mention that table in German is also possible as Lux pointed out. Everyone can probably read an English flyer, not everyone can read the German one :slight_smile: And it sets the right intention concerning language on the spot.

1 Like

I’m happy to run a game and help with organizing; back in atlanta we had a few things like this. One fun idea was an all day event with people rotating tables every hour or so; lots of micro adventures that culminated in a big overall event. Takes a fair bit more organizing for something like that tho.

@Lux_Tenebraeque @Mexikorn @Arthilas @xaosseed and anyone who is interested:
created a poll for an offline get-together :cake: :coffee: / :beers: on Xoyondo. Please indicate time slot which works best for you.
Hope to see you all soon!

2 Likes

Is there a reason why you didnt include the weekend of 7th to 9th April? Also if Xaoseed can never meet up except tomorrow we maybe shouldnt consider him in our schedule unless we happen to meet up tomorrow.

1 Like

Sorry, did not realise there were other days (on mobile)

[edit] Have filled it out, looks like we can all do the 15th at 1100. If people want to get rolling before then, go on without me, do not let me be a bottleneck.

Have no idea why I blanked dates from 7th to 10th :scream:. Added them to the poll. @Lux_Tenebraeque @xaosseed @Arthilas @Mexikorn and the rest: If you guys can’t change your current vote, just add another line with new vote.

My apologies for the inconvenience :flushed:

Link to the poll

Agree with @xaosseed, seems that 15th at 11 am suits everyone (although lots of people still did not revote for the 7-10th gap). Let’s pin brunch for 15th then. @Lux_Tenebraeque @xaosseed @Arthilas @Mexikorn I’ll make separate chat about the location.

P.S. not sure who is under ‘Lukas’ in the poll, please write me a meassage, I’ll include you in our mailing then.

P.P.S. If anyone would like to join, please PM me.

I am not available on all three days, I am afraid. I actually thought that gap was left intentionally because it is the easter weekend. The 15th at 11 am sounds good though.

Since the D&D Movie seems to be a success, it looks like this is going to be more relevant than ever!

Ahead of meeting up to nail down the details, it would be good to just brainstorm ideas and get them noted down.

Two from me:

• People could bring along their own group, book a table and just play one of their own sessions along with the rest, that is fine - this could be high level D&D, their home campaign, another system whatever - if they want a table to do their own thing, awesome
  • Ping Athenaes Siegel in case there are any of them that are interested in a night playing in English

I am worried that if we do that there will be way to many people. A playgroup is 4-6 people. If we’re aiming for 60-70 people and have 8+ DM’s thats only enough for 50-60 newcommers, and thats assuming that no one from rpg vienna participates ingame, or 35-45 people with our own people participating. A relatively small number, that we would be detracting from if we invite playgroups or Athenas Siegel.

Admittedly, I have no idea what the turnout will be. Maybe im way too optimistic. In no way do I want to dissuade from or downplay xaosseeds suggestion. Especially since, for instance, there would be merit in having AS working with us and helping organize the event. (Someone mention they have more experience with this kind of thing) But i think this is something to keep in mind if we want to be open to newcommers.

P.S.: On second thought. Perhaps we should invite someone from AS to our meetup on the 15th? I have never had any contact with anyone from there however.

1 Like

From my experience easiest way to crowd control is registration (less effective) and tickets (more effective).

We could for example:

1. Decide on top number of people we can handle
  2. Put ‘limited seating’ in the flyer (or similar)
  3. Make a registration form on some Doodle or alike & put it into QR code
  4. Have someone with registration list to check arriving people. Overflow will be directed back to the street :slight_smile:

Alternatively we can see if Sägwerk want to help us sell tickets (or register). They can keep cut of the cash, rest can cover a tab for organizers.

Whatever way we follow it allows us to spread the word as wide as we can and not to worry about dealing with overflow during the event. On the bonus site: more traffic to the RPG Vienna website in any case.