Austrian who prefers English

I’m relatively new to pen and paper RPGs (started in Neil’s group), but have played video game RPGs for ages. “The Elder Scrolls” series is probably closest - in terms of game mechanics - to D&D, but it’s always a very solitary way to play, and as somebody who loves board games I always wanted to try D&D, but didn’t think I’d find somebody in Vienna wanting to play in English. I clearly underestimated the number of geeky expats, living here. :wink:

I just bought the Pathfinder Beginner Box which uses a slightly simplified system than the actual game, but it’s good way to introduce newcomers to Pathfinder.

Oh, and as an Austrian my native tongue might be German, but I started to prefer the original English versions of movies/tv series/books/games once I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid and realized how poor dubbing, and translations in general, often are. Titles alone are often unbelievably cringeworthy.

I currently play Friday evenings and would like to add a group that plays weekend afternoons, so that sessions might be longer, or at least that it won’t be quite so late when they end.

[quote=“Philipp”]
I currently play Friday evenings and would like to add a group that plays weekend afternoons, so that sessions might be longer, or at least that it won’t be quite so late when they end.[/quote]

I hear ya! I’d totally prefer that too. :frowning:

Like Philipp says, we both play in a group together and if anyone’s considering inviting him to a group…what are you waiting for! :wink: He’s a really cool guy. Incredible English and totally committed to the game.

Because Ally mentioned books:
I love the Harry Potter books, have read each one at least twice and listened to the Stephen Fry audiobooks as well. Some of the movies are OK but the books are definitely better.

And despite loving the LOTR movies I still haven’t read the books, I know shame on me :blush:

Hi Phillip, my name is John and I’m looking for a few good role players for a game of Pathfinder (it’s kind of DnD 3.95; fixed a lot of 3.5 issues and made it a better game IMO) either in my own homebrew world or in Golarian (a deep and wonderfully detailed world) whichever the group decides on.

The beginner box (I too own it) is a fabulous way to get to know the basics of the game, (indeed everything you NEED to know to play, and then some) but I’ve DMed so long with so many dozens of groups I have implemented a few changes, the most drastic is that initiative is rerolled every round and IF your character for whatever reason has more than one action in a given round they take place on a count of 5 after your initial initiative and an additional 5 down for each additional action thereafter.

At any rate I look forward to hearing from you. :slight_smile:

John

Hi John, thanks for the message.

Just a heads up, you replied to quite an old post here. I’d recommend making a new thread in Introductions or having a browse through the General section. I’m sure you’ll find something :slight_smile:

Thanks Neil, I have tried, just no go on my fav, once Corona is done maybe I’ll actually try 5e again, but the differences in the systems just hit all my gripes about rpging. Oh well, Corona can’t last forever.

Thanks for your time and for answering.

John

If you’re not fixated on D&D and variants, we have a group playing Tuesday evenings, usually from 18:00 to about 22:00. We’re playing a not-yet-published system, but the rules are pretty solid by now and the game world is fairly deep and detailed. We play online right now but plan to resume physical meetings in the near future.