2016 Tournament Invitation

Nothing is entirely etched in stone yet, but almost certainly pregenerated characters, for reasons ranging from tradition to available time.

Since the question of ‘player vs player’ play in the tournament came up the other day:

There will be no individual scoring. You will not be competing against anyone in your party, nor with individual members of other parties, as far as the tournament results are concerned. No ‘MVP award’, no ‘best thief.’ Promise.

Do with this information what you will …

Soo since I am already asking all the nasty questions I can continue dooing so :smiley:
First off, will there be a “shedule” who is playing when, or do we just drop by on the day we said we like to in this topic? (Have a quite stressful week so the possibility to pre-plan would be great :wink: )
Second question, since I have not yet witnessed a DnD tournament, is it possible for people to watch it?
I forgot the third question so either it will come up again or it wasn’t important :smiley: Just feels like my mind has been hexed :smiley:

[quote=“Grenom”]Soo since I am already asking all the nasty questions I can continue dooing so :smiley:
First off, will there be a “shedule” who is playing when, or do we just drop by on the day we said we like to in this topic? (Have a quite stressful week so the possibility to pre-plan would be great :wink: )
Second question, since I have not yet witnessed a DnD tournament, is it possible for people to watch it?
I forgot the third question so either it will come up again or it wasn’t important :smiley: Just feels like my mind has been hexed :smiley:[/quote]
If -H- is organizing it the same way as the years before then every group will be playing the same adventure/dungeon. So you won’t be able to watch it this week and play it the next cause then you’d already know where to go and what to do. If you just want to watch instead of playing (WHY WOULD YOU!?) then sure, just don’t go telling other groups about the stuff you’ve witnessed :wink:

Just to add to what Thopthes said, yes, there’ll be a schedule. It is, unfortunately, still in flux, but I’m doing my best to get everybody their slots as quickly as possible. Please bear with me; this really is by far the most difficult part of the tournament.

As to kibitzing, sure, why not? But unless someone isn’t participating, it really is only possible on day 2 for those who already played the previous week. If that sounds like fun, just let me know and I’ll do my best to stick you in week 1.

And yes, it’s 3 am. TrumpWorld, er, civilized debate, Springsteen, 538. What could be more fun? Hang on, ice cream! That’s it, ice cream!

Oh yeah, and a deadline tomorrow. Oh well. Who said life was perfect?

Off to get that ice cream now …

OK small update…on 13th I am free the whole day, hooray :wink:
And the point of watching was I have a friend who maybe wants to drop by and watch. He won’t tell anybody anything (I’ll ensure that hehe :stuck_out_tongue:), main point was about the location, so if our table is suitable to be watched and understood :wink:
But I just thell him she should drop by and if it suits him he stays, if not he has to drink at the bar 'till I’m finished :stuck_out_tongue:

Roleplaying as spectator sport? Sounds like a plan. Go Team RPGV!

Seriously, though, if your friend wants to come and kibitz, that’s perfectly fine by me. We’re playing in a public place, after all. (I do think it’s polite to ask the actual players if they don’t mind, but I wouldn’t expect that to be an issue in this group.)

But I do have to echo Thopthes again - if your friend is coming here anyway, why not join the fun and participate?

More on this later, since I have to race out the door for an appointment, but the bit about not needing any experience to enjoy the tournament really is true, and has been borne out in previous years.

So anyway, regarding new people - new either to RPGs or to this group - playing:

I think a tournament like this can be interesting on several levels. For example, to someone who has played countless games, it might be interesting to explore a style of play you rarely find these days (and probably not at all in this neck of the woods). Or for someone who has been part of this group for a while, it might be fun to compete against friends. And so on.

But at its heart, the tournament is just like any other scenario: an excuse to sit around a table with some nice people, sip a drink and hopefully play a fun game.

And as for having a shot at winning, having someone unfamiliar with these games of ours on the team isn’t necessarily a bad thing. In the past, there have been occasions where a lifetime spent studying all things D&D has helped, but also times where somebody new came up with a fabulous out-of-the box idea to save the day …

Oh yes: Groups and times should go up before noon tomorrow.

Good luck, all!

All right, then, here’s the schedule, version 1.0:

October 13:

OddlyEd
Bazhell
heidelbeerkuchen
MrBeerBear
Grenom +1
gridshadow
DoomCarrot
Chylli

October 20

KauraKuitu
Neil +1
AmLash
GJSoft
Thopthes
Darthbinks

Please let me know whether these dates still work for you. If the past is any indication, there may still be a few changes. And if you’re not on the list yet but still want to play, just drop me a line.

And yes, I know that the numbers don’t match …

See you soon!

Cool, I’m good with playing tomorrow! Do we split up into teams like last time? If so, anyone mind starting later, when I get there?

[quote="-H-"]
October 20

KauraKuitu
Neil +1
AmLash
GJSoft
Thopthes
Darthbinks

Please let me know whether these dates still work for you. If the past is any indication, there may still be a few changes. And if you’re not on the list yet but still want to play, just drop me a line.

See you soon![/quote]

works for me :slight_smile:

Works fine for me, do we have a starting time yet?

I’ll be at Spielbar a bit before 6 tomorrow. There will be three parties of three, each of which will set off on the adventure once it’s full. Yes, that means some people might have to wait a bit, but no more than on a regular night.

From what everyone has said, that probably means there’ll be a party kicking off around 6, one close to 8, and one in between. We haven’t had a tournament yet without unexpected scheduling changes, however, so we’ll all have to be a little bit flexible. Thanks!

20th works for me. Arrrrr!

20th works for me as well. Let the Arrrrrs continue to arrrr the world!

Two-time champion Alrik in the house!

Updated schedule:

October 13:

OddlyEd
Bazhell
heidelbeerkuchen
MrBeerBear
Grenom +1
gridshadow
DoomCarrot
Chylli

October 20

KauraKuitu
Neil +1
AmLash
GJSoft
Thopthes
Darthbinks
Alrik

Yes, that means that one group would be short-handed as things stand, because of course the number of players is prime. (I think you people do this every year just to mess with me.) But there’s still time, and things may yet change.

And now … time to actually write the darn scenario!

Yay! Looking forwaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrr…

Will we need another table tomorrow? Should I run something?

If not, I’ll just stay home…

I’m in for the 20th, and can be there as early as needed, including if you would like any help setting up!