Tournament III Sign-up

A few additional notes and ramblings which may or may not be of interest:

We will be playing by AD&D rules, modified slightly to reflect typical playstyles of three-plus decades ago. For example, we won’t be worrying about weapon speed factors and the like.

You do not have to be familiar with the system, or D&D in general, to have a shot at winning. In the past, there have been situations where prior knowledge has helped, but also others where lack of familiarity has led to out-of-the-box solutions.

If you can, please bring your lucky dice, pencils and paper. (If you can’t, there should be plenty to go around.) No rulebooks or other reference material, please.

It would be great if one person in each party could act as a timekeeper. People have been great about this in previous years, and although it seems like a simple thing, this has been a tremendously helpful in keeping things running smoothly.

Thiis will be an original scenario. If you’ve been trawling classic tournament modules … sorry.

Despite my very best intentions, the adventure might not be entirely devoid of a certain element of danger. Last year, no party made it through the evening without losing a character. Be careful out there.

I won’t reveal too much about the tournament’s scoring, except to say that it’s probably not a good idea to make too many assumptions. There may be a few changes this year, such as an attempt to allow for a broader variety of styles of play. One thing that I will say is that there will be no individual scoring. You will always be playing entirely as a team, and you will never be competing against your teammates, either directly or indirectly, as far as scoring is concerned.

Previously, scoring has always been extremely tight. Interestingly, there have often been large gaps between groups in the middle of the adventure, but scores have always converged by the end of the game. If you’re off to a rough start, don’t sweat it too much. Previous winners have never gotten off to particularly good starts.

Since scores are slightly interdependent, groups playing on the first day will have to wait a week to hear their results.

As to strategy, you should probably ask those who did well in previous tourneys. One thing I did notice is that, trite as it sounds, teamwork really is key.

And don’t count on strategems that worked well in the past to necessarily do so again, particularly those that aim to be universally effective. Consider it a badge of honor, GJ.

Bribery, on the other hand, always works.

I would have thought you’d go with this one. Arrr!

Anyway, enough rambling. Good luck!

Are you telling me my devious anti-timewasting principles do not apply anymore?

We are all doomed.

No worries, I got new tricks up my sleeve this time around.

Unless you’re leading us out of dungeon habitants into something weirder. Then I’m boned.

[quote=“GJsoft”]Are you telling me my devious anti-timewasting principles do not apply anymore?

We are all doomed.

No worries, I got new tricks up my sleeve this time around.[/quote]
Short answer: All I’m saying is that it would be a dull tournament indeed if the same ploys worked every time.

This probably deserves a longer answer; more later.

I wanted to thank H for organising the tournament, jumping like crazy between the tables and for the great adventure! It was really fun.
PS. to the guys who will play next week. Abandon all hopes, we will win! Buah uah uah (evil laugh)
Hopefully… :smiley:

A word of warning to those playing the tournament tonight: you’re up against some pretty stiff competition and elaborate tactics from last week’s parties. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone using a full-fledged DM Behavior Modification Program in a tournament before …

See you tonight!

Well, I did warn you I’ll never run out of tricks (and treats)!

Good luck to everyone playing tonight!

And thanks to -H- once again for running something as elaborate as a tournament. Mad props.

I’m already dreading the thought of what you’ll come up with next year …

Incidentally, due to last week’s illnesses, group sizes may vary tonight. Hope you understand.

See you soon!

Since yesterday was my first time under -H- I now finally understand why everyone talks about him. It was awesome.
Thanks again from me for doing this.

TEAM MONKEYLEPHANT FTW

Experienced my very first tournament last night with monkeyelephant too! Massive thanks to H and everyone that took part. You all rule!.. Although, I did receive a text from H after I left. Was it just my imagination… Could… Could it be true?

I believe what -H- is trying to show us is that there’s no victors and losers, and that the only victory one may attain
is having fun :slight_smile:
For sure!
Definatively.
M-maybe…

It could indeed. It was another very close tournament, with several groups having great runs. Foes were vanquished, traps foiled, prizes found, and you generally waltzed through what was intended as a challenge in a quite unseemly manner. Hmph.

But when the bribes were submitted and the scores tallied, one group of heroes emerged victorious. Let’s hear it for AmLash, Bazhell, Neil, Simon and Tam, otherwise known as Team Monkeylephant!

Following a battle cry of “where is the ring?” these intrepid adventurers brought a fearsome ogre to his knobby knees, remained unfazed when faced with a countdown of doom, bested a librarian who wasn’t merely flinty-eyed, and even found time for some spirited role-playing. And yes, they found the ring, too.

And what do they have to show for their valiant efforts? Aside from a date with a grouchy mage whose cottage needs cleaning and seven years of ill fortune, they came away with an armful of tomes, grimoires, librams and other RPG-ish synonyms for ‘books,’ assorted shiny treasures … and this year’s crown as RPG Vienna tourney champions!

So take a bow and a breather, pachyprimates - you earned it! Congratulations!

Whoa, hang on a second, let’s not get carried away here!

Fun? Fun? Clearly the dungeon wasn’t nearly vicious enough. Measures will have to be taken to rectify this.

See you next year …

Lies! All lies!

Since I could’t be there on the second day - is there also a ranking how well the other groups did?

-H- said that the second place was tied and that the winners only won with slightly more points.

Alrik, Darthbinks, Flora & Thopthes tied with Chylli, GJ, Kaura & Oddly for second place, and the other two groups weren’t far behind. Strange how the scores tend to converge at the end, even though they always vary widely throughout the game.