[size=120]CHIPAHUA (“Clean”)
THE MOON PRIESTESS
[/size]

FORCE: 1, AGILITY: 1, ENDURANCE: 3;
PERSUASION: 1, DECEPTION: 1, PERFORM: 3;
LORE: 3, DIVINATION: 3; MEDICINE: 1;
CRAFT: 1;

Themes:
“Protect The People From Malevolent Gods & Spirits” (Passion)
“Ancient Kakayawani (ancient enemy) Ritual Gear” (Equipment)
“Religious Idealism” (Source of Strength)
“Eerie Beauty” (Reputation/Demeanor)
“Reclusive Hermit” (Community)
“A Dark Mind Will Wander In Dark Places” (Horoscope)
“Chosen By The Priests – Not The Gods” (Background)
“Iron Will” (Exceptional Ability)
“Purity Ward Against Darkness” (Core Concept)
“Intrusive Thoughts” (Disadvantage)

“Carried Gods” / Power Themes:

Xolokwani (Bald One)

• Discord, Theft, and Darkness
    Chokanantzin (Weeping Mother)
  • Desire, Destruction, and Pain
    Sesekmikwiztli (Death Chill)
  • Cold, Fear, and Destruction

Note:

Since the first day she was born Chipahua has been prepared to fulfill her role as a Moon Priestess.

When the Kakayawani (ancient enemy) were banished from the Valley, some though, that their terrible malevolent gods would go with them.
They were wrong.
The time the Kakayawani (ancient enemy) ruled was too long - their Gods had left a permanent scar on the Valley.
So there are Moon Priests, who worship the Gods of the Kakayawani (ancient enemy) and practice Kakayawani (ancient enemy) rites in the Kakayawani (ancient enemy) language.

Chipahua knows how important her task is, since it not only saves the poeple of Semanawak from the wrath of these gods - addionally it robs the Kakayawani (ancient enemy) some of the favour from their gods.

Sadly this is a hard task, because of their malevolence, the influence of these deities can be corrupting. As she began to feel their power - Chipahua began to act as a shield against their presence - and her spiritual purty is her armor.
So she offers prayers to her enemies’ deities, she despises so much, and keeps her spiritual purity at all costs - to keep the darkness at bay.

[size=120]ITZACTOCHTLI (“White Rabbit”)
THE RABBIT NAWAL SORCERER
[/size]

FORCE: 1, AGILITY: 3, ENDURANCE: 1;
PERSUASION: 3, DECEPTION: 1, PERFORM: 2;
LORE: 1, DIVINATION: 1; MEDICINE: 2;
CRAFT: 2, RABBIT-NAWAL: 4;

Themes:
“The Thrill of Adventure” (Passion)
"Small Amphora Of Oktli (Pulque; an Alcoholic Drink)" (Equipment)
“No Risk, No Fun” (Source of Strength)
“Drunken Bum” (Reputation/Demeanor)
“Wandering Artisan” (Community)
“Pecuniary Difficulties Are To Be Foreseen” (Horoscope)
“Longtime Alcoholic” (Background)
“Danger Sense” (Exceptional Ability)
“Drunken Action Hero” (Core Concept)
“Idiotic Heroism” (Disadvantage)

Power Theme:

• Intoxication

Note:

Cursed with a stronger animal spirit then everyone else, Nawal Shapechanger Sorcerers live an existance as outcasts. Tochtli came from a small travelling artisan community, but when he started to manifest his “gift” - he was soon cast out.

Itzactochtli’s animal spirit is a rabbit. Fleet, agile, and blessed with remarkable hearing, rabbits are daring creatures with a variety of
tricks at their disposal. The life of a rabbit is the life of a daredevil, not by choice but rather by necessity. Rabbits face constant danger and predation, and in order to survive they have become skilled and level-headed about danger. They are fast, but they are also talented burrowers and tunnelers.

Also rabbits are symbols of drunkenness and inebriation, for they often make their burrows among the roots of the maguey plant, from which alcohol comes. They are also symbols of fertility and lust, for no other creature creates so many children.

Despite his humble appearance, Itzactochtli wields one of the greatest powers on Earth - the power to make you forget about the future and live in the moment.

[size=120]TLILPOTONQUI (“One Who Wears Black Feathers”)
THE VULTURE NAWAL SORCERER
[/size]

FORCE: 3, AGILITY: 3, ENDURANCE: 1;
PERSUASION: 1, DECEPTION: 1, PERFORM: 1;
LORE: 1, DIVINATION: 3; MEDICINE: 3;
CRAFT: 1, VULTURE-NAWAL: 3;

Themes:
“Omens & Signs” (Passion)
“Neclace Of Eyes” (Equipment)
“The Fear, That Really Bad Things Will Happen” (Source of Strength)
“Infamous Oracle” (Reputation/Demeanor)
“Social Outcast” (Community)
“Time Is Too Slow For Those Who Wait” (Horoscope)
“Troubled By Psychic Visions” (Background)
“Having Eyes In The Back Of Your Head” (Exceptional Ability)
“Reluctant Ghoulish Sorcerer” (Core Concept)
“Stomach Problems” (Disadvantage)

Power Theme:

• Past / Future

Note:

Cursed with a stronger animal spirit then everyone else, Nawal Shapechanger Sorcerers live an existance as outcasts. Tlilpotonqui was cast out as a small child, after he had devoured a corpse of a relative during a burial ceremony. Since then he lives a solitary existance.

Tlilpotonqui’s animal spirit is a vulture. Vultures are intelligent but grim creature. They are masters of survival because they understand the dark truth about life: everything dies eventually. Some things hunt, some things run, some things swim, and some things fly. Some things die happily, and some things die in terror or sadness. Some things eat meat, and some things eat plants. But all of them eventually end up as carrion, and that is what the vulture eats. They are the means by which death turns into new life.

Also vultures live on the border between life and death. Everything must cross this border at some point, and so vultures see everything. But by simply turning their heads, vultures can look in either direction. They may look back upon life and see the past of each creature that once lived. Or they may look past death and into the new lives to come. They see things that were, and things that will be. In a world that shifts endlessly between day and night, vultures live on the dusky edge, and therefore see into both.

From time to time some brave and curious individuals will seek Tlilpotonqui out, if the are willing to pay his ghoulish prize - when they have questions about the past or the future.
But most of the time less courageous or more superstitious people see the arrival of Tlilpotonqui as a bad omen, as he seems to be drawn to places, where bad things will happen.
If this remains true for the upcoming Flower Festival in the city of Xochitlan remains to be seen.

One question to help me understand the system: How many fortune points does one start with?

Thanks!

[quote="-H-"]One question to help me understand the system: How many fortune points does one start with?

Thanks![/quote]
each Player: 13

: )

The Giver of Life (DM) starts with 2x number of players
(although his Fortune Points work a little differently)

(As a sidenote:
If you play a New Fire campaign - for each of your characters, who died, you will start with +1.
e.g. If you already sacrified two characters, you would start with 15 Fortune Points in each game session.)

Awesome, thanks!

One more question (this may be my Power Theme today), just to see if I understand: If you spend a fortune point to activate a theme, you roll three dice. If you spend another to activate a second theme or a stat, that only adds one additional die, so you’d be rolling a total of four dice?

Thanks again!

If you spend a Fortune Point to active a theme, you roll three dice.
If you then spend another Fortune Point to activate another Theme you roll additional three dice (6 total).
If you then spend another Fortune Point to activate your LORE: 2 Stat, you roll 2 more dice (8 total).

(you can never roll more then 10 dice - regardless how many Fortune Points you are willing to spend; and must activate enough Stats/Themes to be able to roll 3 dice.)

You do not have to spend all these Fortune Points before rolling. You could spend a Fortune Point to activate a Theme, roll dice - and then if you think, that this isn’t enough, spend another Fortune Point a.s.o…

Power Themes grant 5 !! dice and do not cost Fortune Points - they are activated differently (how - depends on Profession).

dice used are d10

and they do “explode” on a “10” (like in Legend of the Five Rings [L5R])
this means:

If a die shows up as a “10”, you will be able to roll again and add that number to the total. If the second roll is also a “10”, it will “explode” again, etc.

e.g.

Say you spend a Fortune Point to activate your Forces: 4 Stat.
You roll 4 dice:

10, 7, 5, 2

“10” explodes -> roll again
another “10” -> roll again
a “4”

so your dice show up as:
24, 7, 5, 2

So now you can choose which dice to hold
(say the difficulty was the typical Target Number [TN] of 20)
and probably you will hold the single “24” die to get a Dawn Roll (complete narative control for the player).

Ah, now I get it. Thanks. (I think I was confused by the bit about throwing an additional die.)

And the exploding dice explain a lot!

So a character rolling on a stat of 1 can achieve a dawn roll, but not a dusk or noon roll?

[quote="-H-"]Ah, now I get it. Thanks. (I think I was confused by the bit about throwing an additional die.)

And the exploding dice explain a lot!

So a character rolling on a stat of 1 can achieve a dawn roll, but not a dusk or noon roll?[/quote]
no
because

[quote=“Darthbinks”]…and must activate enough Stats/Themes to be able to roll 3 dice…[/quote] : )

Thanks again!

I have to say you learn a lot about these games if you convert everything to percentages …

very interesting mechanics, really looking forward to seeing them at work :slight_smile:

[quote="-H-"]Thanks again!

I have to say you learn a lot about these games if you convert everything to percentages …[/quote]
jop

Dawn Roll (hold 1 die) Probability to roll 20 or higher
Dicepool size:
03 dice: 03%
04 dice: 04%
05 dice: 05%
06 dice: 06%
07 dice: 07%
08 dice: 08%
09 dice: 09%
10 dice: 10%

Noon Roll (hold 2 dice) Probability to roll 20 or higher
Dicepool size:
03 dice: 21%
04 dice: 29%
05 dice: 37%
06 dice: 43%
07 dice: 49%
08 dice: 54%
09 dice: 59%
10 dice: 63%

Dusk Roll (hold 3 dice) Probability to roll 20 or higher
Dicepool size:
03 dice: 37%
04 dice: 57%
05 dice: 72%
06 dice: 82%
07 dice: 89%
08 dice: 93%
09 dice: 96%
10 dice: 97%

Me too! I’m still a little bit skeptical about the mechanics, but very much looking forward to goving them a whirl tonight.

Darth, were those tables in the rulebook or did you run the numbers yourself? If they’re in the rules, kudos to the designer. Far too many who use exploding dice and things of that nature don’t bother to inform their players what the rolls actually mean (and some don’t understand them themselves). Definitely a good sign in a game.

The TN 25 tables are quite interesting as well.

On my way!

Sorry, couldn’t stop myself :smiley:

Looking forward to the game!

I’ll be reading all of this later today to be prepared… so far I haven’t had the time.

Super excited to play this tonight! Later! :laughing:

thank you for playing : )

Thanks for running this - I had a splendid time!

Apologies to everyone if I set a rather dark tone. I think staring at my character’s creepy picture put me in that mindset …

[quote="-H-"]Darth, were those tables in the rulebook or did you run the numbers yourself? If they’re in the rules, kudos to the designer. Far too many who use exploding dice and things of that nature don’t bother to inform their players what the rolls actually mean (and some don’t understand them themselves). Definitely a good sign in a game.

The TN 25 tables are quite interesting as well.[/quote]
as I mentioned yesterday - they are not included
(I calculated them years [~6] ago, when started to run a lot of L5R games)

I found the Kickstarter via L5R gamers (it seems to be a game the developer likes a lot).

A page for Nahuatl names misses as well,
but the designer made a good post on his blog
and Babynamesmeanings.info is always a help^^

plus I stumbled upon this site with a lot of Nahuatl names.