D&D 5: The Book of Vile Darkness

[color=#800000][size=200]D&D 5: The Book of Vile Darkness[/size][/color]

[size=129][color=#800000]Inspiration:[/color] Tempel of Elemental Evil and Night Below: The Evils of Haranshire

[color=#800000]Setting:[/color] The Book of Vile Darkness has a long and sordid history in the world, but that history’s darkest chapter tells of the dread mage Nhagruul, who used his own flesh, blood, and spirit to reconstruct the tome. Nhagruul hoped to allow his followers to spread madness and destruction across the world. Riding to counter their foul deeds came a bright order of chivalry, a religious society devoted to Pelor’s purifying light. As Nhagruul’s twisted henchmen worked their evil, the Knights of the New Sun rode out to meet them, putting their foes to the sword or cleansing their souls in the pyre’s purifying flames.
Legend tells that fearing they would lose their prize, Nhagruul’s disciples divided the book into several parts and hid them where the knights would never find them.
Long years later, when the New Sun had faded to pale shadows of their former might, Nhagruul’s disciples stirred again to remake that which was sundered, and usher in a new age of darkness.

[color=#800000]Synopsis:[/color] The pregenerated player characters arrive at a small town, which is close to a remote watchtower, guarded by the New Sun. The party has recently killed a dragon to find the last clues to uncover the whereabouts of the Book of Vile Darkness. This dragon also terrorized the village. This is why the player characters are accepted in the small town, even as the stench of evil follows them …
Here they plan how to get below the watchtower of the New Sun, since underneath lies the forgotten dungeon, who once was part of the Cult of the Elemental Evil, where many years ago the parts of the Book of Vile Darkness were hidden.

[color=#800000]Characters:[/color] The player characters are all evil and follow Nhagruul’s footsteps. So they are all looking for the Book of Vile Darkness, which, if reassembled, should have the power to summon and bind a fiend of enourmous power.

[color=#800000]System:[/color] D&D 5

[color=#800000]Dice:[/color] D4, D6, D8, D10, D12, D20[/size]

Disclaimer: This is just a oneshot for the thursdays Indie group, and not an invitation to an ongoing campaign.

[size=150][color=#800000]GREYSON DRAGONSLAYER [PC]:[/color][/size]

[size=120]Alignment: Lawful Evil
Race: Human
Background: Folk Hero
Class: Paladin 6
Sacred Oath: Oathbreaker (former New Sun)[/size]

STR 18 (+4), DEX 12 (+1), CON 14 (+2), INT 08 (-1), WIS 10 (+0), CHA 14 (+2)

Initiative: +1
Armor Class: 17
Hit Points: 52

Proficiency Bonus: +3

Saving Throw Proficiencies: WIS & CHA
Skill Proficiencies: Animal Handling, Athletics, Perception, Persuasion, Survival
Tool Proficiencies: Mason’s Tools
Vehicle Proficiencies: Land
Armor Proficiencies: all armor and shields
Weapon Proficiencies: all weapons

Passive Perception: 13

Languages: Common, Celestial.

Race Features: Skills, Feat.
Class Features: Divine Sense (3x), Lay on Hands (30hp), Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting, Spellcasting, Divine Smight, Divine Health, Extra Attack, Aura of Protection.
Sacred Oath Features: Oathbreaker, Oath of Devotion Spells (*), Channel Divinity (Control Undead, or Dreadful Aspect).
Feat: Ritual Caster.

Rustic Hospitality: Since you come from the ranks of the common folk, you fit in among them with ease. You can find a place to hide, rest, or recuperate among other commoners, unless you have shown yourself to be a danger to them. They will shield you from the law or anyone else searching for you, though they will not risk their lives for you.

Personality Traits: “When I set my mind to something, I follow through no matter what gets in my way.”
Ideals: “Nothing and no one can steer me away from my higher calling.”
Bonds: “My tools are symbols of my past life, and I carry them so that I will never forget my roots.”
Flaws: “I have trouble trusting in my allies.”

Spells - Level 1 (4 slots): Augury (ritual only), compelled duel, cure wounds, detect magic (ritual only), hellish rebuke*, heroism, inflict wounds*.
Spells - Level 2 (2 slots): Branding smite, crown of madness*, darkness*, find steed.

Gear: Greatsword, Javelins (6), Splint Mail, Shield, broken Holy Symbol of the New Sun, mason’s tools, an iron pot, a shovel, a set of common clothes, a backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, a waterskin, and a hempen rope (50ft.); 305gp

[size=150][color=#800000]AKORDIA [PC]:[/color][/size]

[size=120]Alignment: Chaotic Evil
Race: Shadar-kai
Background: Pirate (Sailor)
Class: Warlock 6
Otherwordly Patron: The Archfey (The Shadowfey)[/size]

STR 08 (-1), DEX 16 (+3), CON 12 (+1), INT 13 (+1), WIS 10 (+0), CHA 18 (+4)

Initiative: +3
Armor Class: 15
Hit Points: 39

Saving Throw Proficiencies: WIS & CHA.
Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, Athletics, Deception, Perception, Stealth.
Tool Proficiencies: Navigator’s Tools.
Vehicle Proficiencies: Sea.
Armor Proficiencies: light armor.
Weapon Proficiencies: simple weapons, flail, morningstar, net, whip.

Passive Perception: 13

Languages: Common, Sylvan.

Race Features: Darkvision, Raven Queen’s Blessing, Shadar-kai Weapon Training, Shadow Jaunt, Sneaky.
Class Features: Pact Magic, Eldritch Invocations, Pact of the Tome.
Otherwordly Patron Features: Archfey Expanded Spells (*), Fey Presence, Misty Escape.

Bad Reputation: No matter where you go, people are afraid of you due to your reputation. When you are in a civilized settlement, you can get away with minor criminal offenses, such as refusing to pay for food at a tavern ar breaking down doors at a local shop, since most people will not report your activity to the authorities.

Personality Traits: “I work hard so that I can play hard when the work is done.”
Ideals: “I’m a predator, and the other ships on the sea are my prey.”
Bonds: “I’ll always remember my first ship.”
Flaws: “My pride will probably lead to my destruction.”

Cantrips: Eldritch blast, friends, guidance, mage hand, shocking grasp, spare the dying.
Spells - Level 1 (2 slots total): Detect magic (ritual only), hex, identify (ritual only), unseen servant (ritual only).
Spells - Level 2 (2 slots total): Darkness, misty step, phantasmal force*.
Spells - Level 3 (2 slots total): Blink*, fly, hunger of hadar.

Eldritch Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Book of Ancient Secrets, Devil’s Sight.

Gear: Book of Shadows, Leather Armor, a club, a spell component pouch, 50 feet of silk rope, a lucky charm, a set of common clothes, a backpack, a rope (50ft), a crowbar, hammer, 10 pitons, 10 torches, a tinderbox, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin; 415gp

[size=150][color=#800000]BEEZ [PC]:[/color][/size]

[size=120]Alignment: Neutral Evil
Background: Urchin
Class: Druid 6
Druid Circle: Circle of Vermin[/size]

STR 10 (+0), DEX 14 (+2), CON 14 (+2), INT 12 (+1), WIS 18 (+4), CHA 08 (-1)

Initiative: +2
Armor Class: 16 (14 without a shield)
Hit Points: 45

Saving Throw Proficiencies: INT & WIS.
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Insight, Investigation, Sleight of Hand, Stealth.
Tool Proficiencies: Disguise Kit, Herbalism Kit, Thieves’ Tools.
Armor Proficiencies: light & medium armor and shields.
Armor Restrictions: no metal armor
Weapon Proficiencies: clubs, daggers, darts, javelins, maces, quarterstaffs, scimitars, sickles, slings, spears.

Passive Perception: 14

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Druidic.

Class Features: Druidic, Spellcasting, Ritual Casting, Wild Shape (2x).
Druid Circle Features: Hive Mind, Insects Circle Spells (*), Natural Recovery, Swarm Shape.
Feat: Polearm Master.

City Secrets: You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Personality Traits: “I don’t like to bathe.”
Ideals: “The rich need to be shown what life and death are like in the gutters.”
Bonds: “No one else should have to endure the hardships I’ve been through.”
Flaws: “I’d rather kill someone in their sleep then fight fair.”

Cantrips: Guidance, poison spray, shillelagh.
Spells - Level 1 (4 slots): Animal friendship, detect magic (ritual), create or destroy water, cure wounds, healing word, speak with animals (ritual).
Spells - Level 2 (3 slots): Beast sense (ritual), find traps, pass without trace, spider climb*, web*.
Spells - Level 3 (3 slots): Conjure animals, fly*, gaseous form*.

Gear: A Quarterstaff, Wooden Shield, Hide Armor, druidic focus, disguise kit, herbalism hit, thieves’ tools, a backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and a waterskin hempen rope (50ft.), a small knife, a pet scorpion, a map of the ‘small town’, a token in insect form, a set of common clothes; 450gp

[size=150][color=#800000]DAMODAR [PC]:[/color][/size]

[size=120]Alignment: Neutral Evil
Background: Noble
Class: Wizard 6
Arcane Tradition: School of Necromancy[/size]

STR 08 (-1), DEX 12 (+1), CON 14 (+2), INT 18 (+4), WIS 10 (+0), CHA 14 (+2)

Initiative: +1
Armor Class: 11 (14 with mage armor)
Hit Points: 38

Saving Throw Proficiencies: INT & WIS.
Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, History, Investigation, Persuasion, Religion.
Gaming Set Proficiencies: gaming dice
Weapon Proficiencies: daggers, darts, slings, light crossbows and quarterstaffs.

Passive Perception: 10

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Infernal.

Class Features: Spellcasting, Ritual Casting, Arcane Recovery.
Arcane Tradition Features: Necromancy Savant, Grim Harvest, Undead Thralls.
Feat: Inspiring Leader.

Retainers: You have the service of three retainers loyal to your family. These retainers were once attendants or messengers, and one might have been a majordomo. They all were once commoners. You turned them into zombies though.

Personality Traits: “If you do me an injury, I will crush you, ruin your name, and salt your fields.”
Ideals: “If I can attain more power, no one will tell me what to do.”
Bonds: “Nothing is more important than my zombies.”
Flaws: “I secretly believe that everyone is beneath me.”

Cantrips: Chill touch, light, mending, shocking grasp.
Spells - Level 1 (4 slots): Detect magic (ritual), indentify (ritual), mage armor, ray of sickness.
Spells - Level 2 (3 slots): Blindness/deafness, knock, see invisibility.
Spells - Level 3 (3 slots): Animate dead, counterspell, vampiric touch.

Gear: Spellbook (s.b.), spell component pouch, set of fine clothes, a signet ring, a scroll of pedigree, a dagger, a backpack, a book of lore, a bottle of ink, an ink pen, 10 sheets of parchment, a little bag of sand, and a small knife; 525gp

Spellbook “Damodar’s Tome of Osseus Delights”:
Spells Level 1 (additionally): … alarm (ritual), comprehend languages (ritual), shield, tenser’s floating disc (ritual)
Spells Level 2 (additionally): … rope trick
Spells Level 3 (additionally): … fly, phantom steed (ritual)

Note: You may swap prepared spells with spells from your Spellbook before the adventure starts.

[color=#800000][size=200]HAPPY END[/size][/color]