D&D 5: The Fall of Gardmore Abbey

[color=#408080][size=200]D&D 5: The Fall of Gardmore Abbey[/size][/color]

[size=129][color=#408080]Style:[/color] Fantasy Drama / Squad Tactics

[color=#408080]Synopsis:[/color] In one week there will be a big retirement ceremony. The old commander of the fortress, Knight Captain Lord Havarr, as well as some player characters will retire from their duties.

[color=#408080]Setting:[/color] The fortress of ‘Gardmore Abbey’, stands as a last line of defense to protect the beautiful kingdom of Nethir in the south from the forces of darkness. Although in the last 300 years they have not been any major attacks against it.
In addition, recently an army of Knights have returned from a crusade against the hobgoblin tribes of the Dragoncoast, not empty handed, but in possession of a powerful artefact.

[color=#408080]Characters:[/color] The pregenerated player characters have been put to the reserve of the Knights of Gardmore Abbey for various reasons.

[color=#408080]System:[/color] D&D 5

[color=#408080]Dice:[/color] D4, D6, D8, D10, D20[/size]

[size=150][color=#408080]Lower Tier[/color][/size]
[size=120]
1. Main Gate
2. Gardmore Village
3. Keep Entrance
4. Garrison

[/size]

[size=150][color=#408080]Middle Tier[/color][/size]
[size=120]
5-6. Vandomar’s Wizard’s Tower
[/size]

[size=150][color=#408080]Upper Tier[/color][/size]
[size=120]
7-8. The Keep
9. Outer Gardens
10. Grove of the Eladrin Embassy
11. Bell Tower
12. Groundskeeper’s Cottage
13. Fountain of loun
14-17. Watchtower

[/size]

[size=150][color=#408080]Dragon’s Roost[/color][/size]
[size=120]
18. Heroes’ Gate
19. Barracks
20. Hall of Glory
21-22. Temple of Bahamut

[/size]

[size=200][color=#408080]Important NPC’s at ‘Gardmore Abbey’:[/color][/size]

[size=150][color=#408080]LORD HAVARR, THE KNIGHT CAPTAIN:[/color][/size]
The old commander of ‘Gardmore Abbey’. He will resign from his duties in one week during the retirement ceremony. Lady Eladia’s is his daughter.
Race: Human
Background: Soldier
Class: Paladin
Sacred Oath: Devotion (Bahamut)

[size=150][color=#408080]LADY ELAIDA, THE HEIR:[/color][/size]
Lord Havarr’s daughter and the betrothed of the wizard Vandomar. She will rule ‘Gardmore Abbey’ after the retirement of her father.
Class: Paladin
Sacred Oath: Devotion (Bahamut)

[size=150][color=#408080]VANDOMAR, THE ARCHMAGE:[/color][/size]
The archmage of ‘Gardmore Abbey’. He is betrothed to Lady Elaida.
Class: Wizard
Arcane Tradition: School of Abjuration

[size=150][color=#408080]SIR HROM, THE QUARTERMASTER:[/color][/size]
A knight officer and the quartermaster of ‘Gardmore Abbey’.
Class: Cleric
Domain: War (Bahamut)

[size=150][color=#408080]ZANDRIAN VELFARREN, THE COURTIER:[/color][/size]
An Eladrin diplomat of the Autumn Court from the City of Mithrendain. He is [color=#408080]Glynneth’s [PC][/color] brother.
Race: Eladrin
Background: Noble
Class: Bard
Bard College: College of Lore

[size=150][color=#408080]SIR NORDAN GRAM [PC]:[/color][/size]

[size=120]Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Noble
Class: Fighter 6
Archetype: Battle Master[/size]

STR 20 (+5), DEX 12 (+1), CON 14 (+2), INT 10 (+0), WIS 08 (-1), CHA 14 (+2)

Initiative: +1
Armor Class: 19 (17 without a shield)
Hit Points: 52

Proficiency Bonus: +3

Saving Throw Proficiencies: STR & CON.
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Deception, History, Perception, Persuasion.
Tool Proficiencies: Mason’s Tools (Artisan’s Tools), Playing Card Set (Gaming Set).
Armor Proficiencies: all armor and shields.
Weapon Proficiencies: all weapons.

Passive Perception: 12

Languages: Common, Dwarven, Elven

Race Features: Skills, Feat.
Class Features: Fighting Style: Protection, Second Wind, Action Surge, Extra Attack
Archetype Features: Combat Superiority (4d8), Maneuvers (Commander’s Strike, Rally, Riposte), Student of War.
Feat: Inspiring Leader.

Position of Privilege: Thanks to your noble birth, people are inclined to think the best of you. You are welcome in high society, and people assume you have the right to be wherever you are. The common folk make every effort to accommodate you and avoid your displeasure, and other people of high birth treat you as a member of the same social sphere. You can secure an audience with a local noble if you need to.

Personality Traits: “No one could doubt by looking at my regal bearing that I am a cut above the unwashed masses.”
Ideals: “It is my duty to protect and care for the people beneath me.”
Bonds: “The common folk must see me as a hero of the people.”
Flaws: “By my words and actions, I often bring shame to my family.”

Gear: Longsword, Handaxes (2), Splint Mail, Shield, Mason’s Tools, set of fine clothes, a signet ring of House Gram, a scroll of pedigree, a backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, a waterskin, and a hempen rope (50ft.); 300gp

[size=150][color=#408080]SIR ORYN THAIN [PC]:[/color][/size]

[size=120]Alignment: Lawful Good
Class: Paladin 6
Sacred Oath: Devotion (Bahamut)[/size]

STR 18 (+4), DEX 08 (-1), CON 10 (+0), INT 12 (+1), WIS 14 (+2), CHA 14 (+2)

Initiative: -1
Armor Class: 17
Hit Points: 40

Saving Throw Proficiencies: WIS & CHA
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, History, Intimidation, Perception, Religion
Tool Proficiencies: Playing Card Set (Gaming Set)
Vehicle Proficiencies: Land.
Armor Proficiencies: all armor and shields
Weapon Proficiencies: all weapons

Passive Perception: 15

Languages: Common, Elven.

Race Features: Skills, Feat.
Class Features: Divine Sense (3x), Lay on Hands (30hp), Fighting Style: Great Weapon Fighting, Spellcasting, Divine Smight, Divine Health, Extra Attack, Aura of Protection.
Sacred Oath Features: Tenets of Devotion, Oath of Devotion Spells (*), Channel Divinity (Sacred Weapon, or Turn the Unholy).
Feat: Great Weapon Master.

Military Rank: You have a military rank from your career as a soldier. Soldiers loyal to your former military organization still recognize your authority and inftuence, and they defer to you if they are of a lower rank. You can invoke your rank to exert influence over other soldiers and requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary use. You can also usually gain access to friendly military encampments and fortresses where your rank is recognized.
Specialty: Standard bearer.

Personality Traits: “I’m full of inspiring and cautionary tales from my military experience relevant to almost every combat situation.”
Ideals: “Those who fight beside me are those worth dying for.”
Bonds: “I would still lay down my life for the people I served with.”
Flaws: “My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning.”

Spells - Level 1 (4 slots): Compelled duel, cure wounds, protection from evil and good*, sanctuary*.
Spells - Level 2 (2 slots): Branding smite, find steed, lesser restoration*, magic weapon, zone of truth*.

Gear: Greatsword, Javelins (6), Splint Mail, Holy Symbol of Bahamut, rank insignia (Knight), a deck of playing cards, set of common clothes, trophy from a fallen enemy, a backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, a waterskin, and a hempen rope (50ft.); 305gp

[size=150][color=#408080]SIR TAMLIN “THE BLACK” THAIN [PC]:[/color][/size]

[size=120]Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Cleric 6
Domain: Death (Raven Queen)[/size]

STR 14 (+2), DEX 14 (+2), CON 10 (+0), INT 12 (+1), WIS 18 (+4), CHA 10 (+0)

Initiative: +2
Armor Class: 18 (16 without a shield)
Hit Points: 33

Saving Throw Proficiencies: WIS & CHA.
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Insight, Intimidation, Medicine, Perception, Religion.
Tool Proficiencies: Playing Card Set (Gaming Set).
Vehicle Proficiencies: Land.
Armor Proficiencies: light & medium armor and shields.

Passive Perception: 17

Languages: Common, Elven, Orc.

Race Features: Darkvision, Fey Ancestry, Skill Versatility.
Class Features: Spellcasting, Ritual Casting, Channel Divinity (2x), Channel Divinity: Turn Undead.
Domain Features: Death Domain Spells (*), Bonus Proficiency, Reaper, Channel Divinity: Touch of Death, Inescapeable Destruction.

Military Rank: You have a military rank from your career as a soldier. Soldiers loyal to your former military organization still recognize your authority and influence, and they defer to you if they are of a lower rank. You can invoke your rank to exert inftuence over other soldiers and requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary use. You can also usually gain access to friendly military encampments and fortresses where your rank is recognized.
Specialty: Healer

Personality Traits: “I’m always polite and respectful.”
Ideals: “My city, nation, or people are all that matter.”
Bonds: “Sir Oryn saved my life on the battlefield. To this day, I will never leave a friend behind.”
Flaws: “I obey the law, even if the law causes misery.”

Cantrips: Chill touch, guidance, sacred flame, spare the dying, thaumaturgy.
Spells - Level 1 (4 slots): Bane, bless, cure wounds, false life*, healing word, ray of sickness*.
Spells - Level 2 (3 slots): Augury (ritual), blindness/deafness*, lesser restoration, prayer of healing, ray of enfeeblement*.
Spells - Level 3 (3 slots): Animate dead*, protection from energy, revivify (300gp), speak with dead, vampiric touch*.

Gear: Longsword, Breastplate, Shield, Holy Symbol of the Raven Queen, rank insignia (Knight), a deck of playing cards, set of common clothes, trophy from a fallen enemy, a backpack, a blanket, 10 candles, a tinderbox, an alms box, 7 sticks of incense, a censer, vestments, 2 days of rations, and a waterskin; 95gp

[size=150][color=#408080]HARAK [PC]:[/color][/size]

[size=120]Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Race: Half-Orc
Background: Urchin
Class: Ranger 6
Archetype: Hunter[/size]

STR 17 (+3), DEX 14 (+2), CON 14 (+2), INT 10 (+0), WIS 12 (+1), CHA 08 (-1)

Initiative: +2
Armor Class: 16 (17 when wielding two weapons)
Hit Points: 52

Saving Throw Proficiencies: STR & DEX.
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Intimidation, Perception, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Survival.
Tool Proficiencies: Disguise Kit, Thieves’ Tools.
Armor Proficiencies: light & medium armor and shields.

Passive Perception: 14

Languages: Common, Elven, Orc, Sylvan

Race Features: Darkvision, Menacing, Restless Endurance, Savage Attacks.
Class Features: Favoured Enemy (Beasts, Humans & Orcs), Natural Explorer (Forest & Mountain), Fighting Style: Two Weapon Fighting, Spellcasting, Primeval Awareness, Extra Attack.
Archetype Features: Hunter’s Prey (Colossus Slayer).
Feat: Dual Wielder.

City Secrets: You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Personality Traits: “I ask a lot of questions.”
Ideals: “I’m going to prove that I’m worthy of a better life.”
Bonds: “I owe a debt I can never repay to Sir Tamlin, the person who took pity on me.”
Flaws: “If I’m outnumbered, I will run away from a fight.”

Spells - Level 1 (4 slots): Cure wounds, hunter’s mark.
Spells - Level 2 (2 slots): Find traps, pass without trace.

Gear: Longswords (2), Longbow, Quiver with Arrows (20), Breastplate, Disguise Kit, Thieves’ Tools, a small knife, a pet mouse, a map of ‘Gardmore Abbey’, a token from Sir Tamlin, a set of common clothes
a backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, a waterskin, and a hempen rope (50ft.); 20gp

[size=150][color=#408080]SAVVRA [PC]:[/color][/size]

[size=120]Alignment: Chaotic Good
Race: Tiefling
Background: Sage
Class: Wizard 6
Arcane Tradition: School of Illusion[/size]

STR 08 (-1), DEX 13 (+1), CON 12 (+1), INT 18 (+4), WIS 10 (+0), CHA 16 (+3)

Initiative: +1
Armor Class: 11 (14 with mage armor)
Hit Points: 32

Saving Throw Proficiencies: INT & WIS.
Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, Deception, History, Investigation.
Weapon Proficiencies: daggers, darts, slings, light crossbows and quarterstaffs.

Passive Perception: 10

Languages: Common, Draconic, Elven, Infernal.

Race Features: Darkvision, Hellish Resistance, Infernal Legacy.
Class Features: Spellcasting, Ritual Casting, Arcane Recovery
Arcane Tradition Features: Illusion Savant, Improved Minor Illusion, Malleable Illusions (*).

Researcher: When you attempt to learn or recall a piece of lore, if you do not know that information, you often know where and from whom you can obtain it. Usually, this information comes from a library, scriptorium, university, or a sage or other learned person or creature, Your DM might rule that the knowledge you seek is secreted away in an almost inaccessible place, or that it simply cannot be found. Unearthing the deepest secrets of the multiverse can require an adventure or even a whole campaign.
Specialty: Wizard’s apprentice.

Personality Traits: “I … speak … slowly … when talking … to idiots, … which … almost … everyone … is compared … to me.”
Ideals: "The goal of a life of study is the betterment of oneself. "
Bonds: “My ancestors sold their souIs for knowledge. I hope to do great deeds and win them back.”
Flaws: “I am easily distracted by the promise of information.”

Cantrips: Fiery ray, mage hand, minor illusion*, ray of frost, shocking grasp, thaumaturgy.
Spells - Level 1 (4 slots): Burning hands, charm person, disguise self*, mage armor.
Spells - Level 2 (3 slots): Mirror image*, phantasmal force*.
Spells - Level 3 (3 slots): Fear*, fireball, major image*, phantasmal steed* (ritual).

Spell-like Abilities: Hellish rebuke, darkness.

Gear: Spellbook (s.b.), a spell component pouch, a bottle of black ink, a quill, a small knife, a letter from Vandomar posing a question you have not yet been able to answer, a set of common clothes, a backpack, a book of lore, a bottle of ink, an ink pen, 10 sheets of parchment, a little bag of sand, and a small knife; 510gp

Spellbook “Savvra’s Primer of Shadow and Flame”:
Spells - Level 1 (additionally): … alarm (ritual), comprehend languages (ritual), detect magic (ritual), identify (ritual; 100gp).
Spells - Level 2 (additionally): … scorching ray, see invisibility.
Spells - Level 3 (additionally):

Note: You may swap prepared spells with spells from your Spellbook before the adventure starts.

[size=150][color=#408080]GLYNNETH [PC]:[/color][/size]

[size=120]Alignment: Neutral Evil
Race: Eladrin
Background: Hermit
Class: Warlock 6
Otherwordly Patron: The Archfey[/size]

STR 08 (-1), DEX 18 (+4), CON 10 (+0), INT 14 (+2), WIS 12 (+1), CHA 15 (+2)

Initiative: +4
Armor Class: 14 (17 with mage armor)
Hit Points: 33

Saving Throw Proficiencies: WIS & CHA.
Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, Deception, Intimidation, Medicine, Perception, Persuasion, Religion.
Tool Proficiencies: Herbalism Kit.
Armor Proficiencies: light armor.
Weapon Proficiencies: simple weapons, longsword, shortsword, shortbow, longbow and the Pact Blade.

Passive Perception: 14

Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan.

Race Features: Darkvision, Keen Senses, Fey Ancestry, Elf Weapon Training, Fey Step.
Class Features: Pact Magic, Eldritch Invocations, Pact of the Blade (Rapier).
Otherwordly Patron Features: Archfey Expanded Spells (*), Fey Presence, Misty Escape.

Discovery: The quiet seclusion of your extended hermitage gave yo access to a unique and powerful discovery. The exact nature of this revelation depends on the nature of your seclusion. It might be a great truth abovt the cosmos, the deities, the powerful beings of the outer planes, or the forces of nature. It could be a site that no one else has ever seen. You might have uncovered a fact that has long been forgotten, or unearthed some relic of the past that could rewrite history. It might be information that would be damaging to the people who or consigned you to exile, and hence the reason for your retvrn to society.
Life of Seclusion: I retreated from society after a life-altering event.

Personality Traits: “I am utterly serene, even in the face of disaster.”
Ideals: “If you know yourself, there’s nothing left to know.”
Bonds: “I entered seclusion because I loved someone I could not have.”
Flaws: “I like keeping secrets and won’t share them with anyone.”

Cantrips: Eldritch blast, friends, frostbite.
Spells - Level 1 (2 slots total): Armor of agathys, faery fire*, hex.
Spells - Level 2 (2 slots total): Invisibility.
Spells - Level 3 (2 slots total): Blink*, fly, tongues.

Spell-like Abilities: Mage armor, misty step.

Eldritch Invocations: Armor of Shadows, Beguiling Influence, Thirsting Blade.

Gear: Pact Weapon (Rapier), Herbalism Kit, a spell component pouch, a scroll case stuffed full of notes from your studies, a winter blanket, a set of common clothes, a backpack, a book of lore, a bottle of ink, an ink pen, 10 sheets of parchment, a little bag of sand, and a small knife; 505gp

SOunds fun, count me in

I’m 90% sure I’ll be there, looking forward to it

Thanks for playing :slight_smile:

The adventure was a (modified) GenCon 2012 adventure, which served as a (spoiler free) prequel to the “Madness at Gardmore Abbey” box.